Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can i do

Options
  • 16-09-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello

I've had a strange experience and I wonder if I had any recourse or what I can do.
    Several agencies called me over the past week about a job that seemingly was a perfect match to my CV.
    It was for a company who would as such Lease the employees out to their clients (nothing dodgy I assure you ) So who the END USER was was never divulged.
    I agreed with one of the agencies to submit my cv - I got very positve feedback via the company and the agency and an interview was set up.
    However I since discovered that the 3rd party does not want to meet me and so the Client and the agency had to cancel my interview.

So 1st its embarrassing
    2nd it transpired I had previously applied direct to the 3rd party end user and they declined to meet me.

So the bottom line here is that the end user company for some reason has a grievance with me - it's too odd that 8 agencies think I'm word perfect for the job yet I don't get so much as an interview.

Ever get the feeling you've been sabotaged!!! Is there anything I can do??? I did think of contacting the end user direct and asking them outright what the issue is with my cv and credential that they alone don't see merits a meeting but everyone else does.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,507 ✭✭✭✭looksee

First, I don't think there is anything you can do about the 3rd party. Their job, their call.

Second, if you are so suitable is the agent not prepared to take you on for an alternative role.

Third, do not run away with the idea that employment agencies have very realistic ideas about an individual's suitability for a particular job. People will tell you any number of stories about being sent for all kinds of totally unsuitable jobs. OK, that many agencies considering you were suitable is a bit surprising, but maybe its just a key word in your cv that set all their bells ringing. On the whole, employment agencies are only as good as their overworked, underpaid, untrained staff, which is often not very.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

The lesson learned here is never, ever let anyone send your CV to a prospective employer without knowing the name of that prospective employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Slasher wrote: »
    The lesson learned here is never, ever let anyone send your CV to a prospective employer without knowing the name of that prospective employer.

+100.

It's the ONLY way you'll know that your CV hasn't gone to the same place via different routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

lol so several agencies contacted you about the same job.. can you imagine how weird it would look if you were the employer and received 8 of the same application. Either they would take it as a recommendation.. or take it as spam from someone who just threw their cv in to as many agencies as possible.

Agencies are meant to put forward suitable candidates but ultimately the employer decides who to interview and who to employ. Another thing about agencies is that they will make you feel really confident, because the more confident you are the more likely you will perform well at the interview, and when you get a job they get their fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Surely the whole point of not disclosing the identity of the company is to stop the job seeker from approaching the company directly by passing the recruitment agency?? A very unfortunate situation o.p. good luck with your job search.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

wouldnt read too much into it OP - most likely someone you worked with previously who didnt like you or was threathened professionally obviously) by you. I have seen it a lot before....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭tinnuvial

I know its hard to do this but don't take it personally. I've been a HR manager and hired both direct and through agencies. I'd sit down with the agency and explain carefully what we needed and they would send me on CVs that bore no relation to what I had told them.
    You probably have something close to what the final company want so the agencies think they can chance their arm and you might get an interview. It isn't any reflection on you as a person, your experiences and/or education just aren't the fit for that company, they will be the perfect fit for a different company.

Whoops - this isnt after hours.

Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

JustMary wrote: »
    +100.

It's the ONLY way you'll know that your CV hasn't gone to the same place via different routes.

Going further than that, If you are currently employed, and looking for soemthing else, then an agency could potentially divulge this information to your current employers, which could be professionally disasterous.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The way I'm looking at this is that if the 3rd party were to hire you, they may have to pay off each of the agencies, as they all gave your CV in...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭tinnuvial

Syco, they only have to pay the first one they got it from. They would just turn it down from any other agencies and tell them they had seen it already.

Advertisement