Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon HD 2400 Pro - dual monitor display

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

doesnt the card have 2 DVI outputs?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

The card has a DVI-I port

The manual says:

Connections

LCD display

* DVI-I connection and DVI cable
    * DVI-I connection and DVI-I-to-VGA adapter and VGA cable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No a regualr DVI-I splitter will just replicate the same signal. (What DVI-I does is sent both an analog and a digital version of a signal, normally one of these signals is simply dropped by virtue of whether you plug in a DVI-D or VGA monitor).

I am guessing that the low profile card may have a DMS-59 port rather than a DVI-I port on the back. What DMS-59 is essentially 2 X DVI-I outputs combined onto a single output. It is a long time since I have seen one but AFAIK the DVI-I splitter will not even fit into the DMS-59 port on the back (They are very similar but slightly diffferent).

If all of the above is true (ie it is actually a DMS-59 output) what you will need to do is get a proper DMS-59 to DVI-I X 2 splitter and then uses a dvi-vga cable (or adaptor) to go to the VGA monitor and a regular DVi cable to the other monitor.

Although if it has is a DMS-59 output then I imagine it will come with some sort of adapter supplied already? :confused:

I have seen the card port and it is definitley not a DMS 59, I was on the dell forums and found out this low profile dell version is missing a VGA port that is present on the full height card. This card will not drive two monitors independently.

Can anyone recommend a budget (<€50) card that will drive two LCD's, one VGA and one DVI. The system is an Optiplex 755 and it has a low profile PCI Express x16 slot.

Tks,
    Owen.

The system has a 275W PSU

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I have definately seen low profile HD 4350s around with DVI and VGA ports should be available for around 40 bucks if you can find one. (Or a HD5450 would be a slightly more expensive but easier to find option).

Dont forget you could also go with a dual dvi card and get a DVI - VGA adapter for a few euro.

Asus make a lowprofile HD 5450 (Just as an example definately shop around ), there are a number of low profile HD4350 in production I just can't any irish suppliers that have them :(. A few suppliers on amazon stock them http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-RADEON-4350-HyperMemory-Interface/dp/B001U3U70O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1284728634&sr=8-1

The 4350 card needs a minimum 300w psu, any other suggestions?

OwenM wrote: »
    The 4350 card needs a minimum 300w psu, any other suggestions?

You can ignore the 300W reccomendation they are always grossly exaggerated by video card manufacturers.

The TDP for the HD4350 is only 20W so it is probably one of the lowest power draws of any standalone GPU. A 275W PSU is more than adequate. After all it is only drawing power from the PCI express slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OwenM wrote: »
    I have seen the card port and it is definitley not a DMS 59, I was on the dell forums and found out this low profile dell version is missing a VGA port that is present on the full height card. This card will not drive two monitors independently.

Can anyone recommend a budget (<€50) card that will drive two LCD's, one VGA and one DVI. The system is an Optiplex 755 and it has a low profile PCI Express x16 slot.

Tks,
    Owen.

What OS do you have? I have a few nvidia nvs 280 cards I would sell for cheap. They only have support for xp though.

Advertisement