Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best uk network for webtexts?

• 16-09-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got a uk simcard so my girlfriend could text me for free and I could reply online using webtexts.

I went into carphone warehouse and they didn't really know what network to recommend. I went for o2, as they said they had webtexts. I only got ten free though! don't know if thats per 24 hours or what. And they carry adds at the bottom.

Anybody know which network has good webtexts? as far as i know vodafone and o2 have 500 per month here which can be sent to international numbers... and three have 333 but these can only be sent to irish. I presumed it would be the same up north!

Hopefully somebody knows the story! Have been emailing the phone companies and gooogling, but can't find out anything!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

You can use vodafone.ie to sent texts to UK

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Cheers for the reply Tom, i know that but i'm with three at the min, on a best of both contract. I can still use my free texts and my bundled mins when I'm up north, so it's better than vodafone or o2 that way.

However webtexts are only to irish numbers. I got an o2 uk sim, but u only get 10 free texts per month with that! I was hoping to get a uk sim with decent webtexts, but don't think it exists following further research! So now i'll have to choose between free international webtexts (o2 or vodafone) or free romaing with three!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

So
    Go to vodafone shop for starting sim - register it online and then You can have up to 300 text per month.

deam I sounds like vodafone dealer ;-)

Tom

Thats what i was thinking of doing, but was seeing was there another alternative! As then I'd have three phones! My three one (as it has no roaming charges up north, so can use my free texts, no charge for taking or making calls, using internet - above what I'd pay down here), My o2 uk one (so my girlfriend can text me for free) and a vodafone irish one (so i can text my girlfriend for free!). I was jus tryin to see was there a simpler way!

I'm toying with the idea of jus switching my irish mobile to vodafone, as id get a lot of free credit (€120), which would probably compensate for the roaming charges i'd pay up north!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

You wouldn't need a third phone for vodafone or o2 ireland (the o2 webtexts are better as you can exceed 160 characters and it will keep the message as one, whereas vodafone split it). You just need a third sim but once it's registered you don't need to keep it on.

• Advertisement

good info about the o2 webtexts not splitting! I know but it would be handy for people to be able to hit reply, or at least if they did by mistake that i'd get the message! Think i might go for this option though of getting an o2 sim......

Because as far as I can see three's "best of both" is the only plan that doesn't have any charge for roaming (can use minutes and free texts just like i'm at home). Have emailed them asking why i can't get international webtexts like o2 and vodafone. Also my contract is up mid october... if u sigin up before end of october u get double minutes, so think thats what will swing it for me staying with them!

Advertisement