Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALL Eurofighter Typhoons Temporarily Grounded

• 16-09-2010 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Eurofighter: Training Flights Temporarily Suspended

(Source: Austrian Ministry of Defence; issued Sept. 15, 2010)
    (Issued in German; unofficial translation by defense-aerospace.com)

VIENNA --- The Eurofighter user countries were recommended to discontinue exercise and training flights of the Eurofighter because of a perceived safety problem in the ejection seat.

This is a normal procedure to ensure safety.

The interruption was necessary because, if mishandled, the parachute could become separated from the ejection seat in case of ejection.

Pilots are being trained in the new procedures. Thereafter, the training and exercise operations are resumed.

This measure has no effect on the supervision and monitoring of air space.

Eurofighter will continue to carry out operational missions - so-called A-priority flights - and remains fully operational.

-ends-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Seems the reason is from the Spanish Tiffie crash i mentioned in news a few weeks ago..

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/national/8400488.Typhoons_grounded_in_safety_probe/

Typhoons grounded in safety probe
    9:46am Saturday 18th September 2010

© Press Association 2010 »

Fighter jets from the RAF's Typhoon fleet have been grounded following safety concerns, the MoD has confirmed.

Non operational flights from the fleet were ordered not to fly after a crewman, believed to be from the Spanish airforce, died during a training flight.

Safety concerns are believed to surround the harness system on the jet's ejector seat.

There are more than 60 planes in the RAF's Typhoon fleet.

An MoD spokesman said: "The safety of our personnel is paramount.

"Investigations following an accident involving a Spanish Typhoon have highlighted a potential issue with the aircrew harness system.

"As a precaution, non-operational Typhoon flights have temporarily been suspended pending modification.

"Typhoon Quick Reaction Alert in the UK and Falkland Islands is not affected as those aircraft have already been modified."

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/09/24/347784/martin-baker-responds-to-eurofighter-seat-reports.html

Defence
    DATE:24/09/10
    SOURCE:Flightglobal.com

Martin-Baker responds to Eurofighter seat reports
    By Craig Hoyle

As the first two Eurofighter operators have returned their aircraft to normal operational use following a safety scare, ejection seat manufacturer Martin-Baker has commented on the issue for the first time.

While the UK company declines to talk specifically about the 24 August accident during which a Royal Saudi Air Force pilot was killed after ejecting from a Eurofighter in Spain, it says the mishap was not the result of any design fault.

The Mk16A seat producer says it was not contacted by Spanish authorities to assist in their investigation into the incident. But it “has not received any communication from the Spanish authorities to indicate that a deficiency in either the ejection seat, or pilot parachute harness was the cause of the death of the pilot.”

All six Eurofighter users halted or restricted operations with their aircraft as a result of the Spanish accident, and so far only the Austrian air force and UK Royal Air Force are known to have resumed normal activities, including training sorties.

The RAF attributed its decision to resume operations on 20 September to assessments of the Mk16A’s seat harness, with the work supported by BAE Systems, Martin-Baker and Qinetiq.

“As a result of these assessments they concluded that under certain conditions, the quick release fitting could be unlocked using the palm of the hands, rather than the thumb and fingers and that this posed a risk of inadvertent release,” Martin-Baker says.

A modification was rapidly developed and approved “to eliminate this risk”, and is now being fitted to Typhoon seats, it adds.

An industry source says Germany, Italy and Spain are expected to resume Eurofighter flights in late September, although the latter two will perform quick reaction alert sorties with their aircraft if required before this time. The current operational status of Saudi Arabia’s Typhoon fleet is unclear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Steyr wrote: »
    ...a Royal Saudi Air Force pilot was killed after ejecting from a Eurofighter in Spain, it says the mishap was not the result of any design fault.

Sigh.

After reading, many years ago, about a Saudi Tornado pilot ejecting whilst still parked up in a HAS, nothing they do comes as a surprise to me.

It may well be that the 'design fault' is in the driver, not the vehicle.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    a Saudi Tornado pilot ejecting whilst still parked up in a HAS

Thats going to hurt..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

tac foley wrote: »
    Sigh.

After reading, many years ago, about a Saudi Tornado pilot ejecting whilst still parked up in a HAS, nothing they do comes as a surprise to me.

It may well be that the 'design fault' is in the driver, not the vehicle.

tac

ha ha tac after seeing the way they drive out here it would'nt suprise me if it was the operators fault they think indicators are only there for decoration most of the time and if you use your indicators they will speed up to fill the space your going into :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sir - I have a gazillion stories about the RSAF and their exploits, both on the ground and in the air, and suspended between the two. I might write a small book about them one day.

Suffice it to say that with very few exceptions, IMO they should not be allowed to manage anything more complex than a spoon.

Under close supervision, and in daylight, of course.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

ha ha ha

I'm sure you have tac i've herd a few about them since i moved over to Qatar and i'm only here since june

Advertisement