Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A sad day for the 46A

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    what will be your memories of the 46A ??

Well, let me see now. Eh, it was a big thing. It had the numbers 4 and 6 on it and the letter A (all those years of watching Sesame Street stands to you in the end you know). It had windows and doors. It had wheels, and they went round and round. Its colours changed a lot over the years. There were people on it. Some of them were happy and some were grumpy (or was that just the drivers?). It used to be seen in Stillorgan regularly, but not so often now for a few years. It was often full of foreign students in the summer. It had the occasional gouger on it, all year round. It used to stop at Donnybrook Church, waiting for 5 or 10 minutes for a driver, who should have been there waiting when the bus arrived. (Now there is where 5 or 10 minutes could be saved on a journey.) The last one left the city during daylight in the middle of the summer, except for ones going to that mythical place called As Seirbhis. You'd see some going there during rush hour passing packed bus stops too. It seems to be very well served as I've seen buses going there from all over Dublin. No one seems to live there, as the bus was always empty. That being the case, why have they never stopped that route? The 46A had an unpronounceable name on the front of it if you were a tourist. There were some nice views from it, although it was a bit of a magical mystery tour, given where it started from and went to. The magical mystery tour will now end in the zoo. It was a sexually active bus. After all it gave it lots of little children like the B, C, D and E, not to mention the X and N. Maybe it was active on the top deck, but I never witnessed that. It's cousin the 746 was another member of the family, but its uncle the 46 must have died at some time. I missed that funeral. If you went upstairs it was possible, and occasionally still is, to get high, by taking a few breaths, moreso the closer to the back you were. The 46A is special. Lots of memories and it isn't gone yet. Changed, but not gone.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Flukey wrote: »
    So is this Jacinta friend of yours a good gardener?

Maybe not the best gardener per se, but she does know her weed..

Oh and I don't have any friends called Jacinta, I was just following the trend for making mindless assumptions about people -but you knew that, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Right. I do know a Jacinta, but I don't know if she is a gardener, but like us all there probably is a few weeds in her gardener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭donaghs

veritable wrote: »
    My memories are of smelly drunks down the back, often rude busdrivers, mentally disturbed people talking to themselves, knacker kids at night, waiting far longer than 2 mins and busdrivers not giving you change.

I've seen stuff like this on the 46A too, but having taken buses to many parts of Dublin, I'd have to say that the 46A is one of the bus routes least afflicted by this sort of thing. I could go on, but it would only start one of those "what the worst part of Dublin" debates.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Didn’t Zig and Zag (younger Baordsies ask your parents) have a song about the 46A? I can remember it was about meeting a girl at the 46A bus stop and she was wearing a black baseball cap. Hmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Oh and I don't have any friends called Jacinta,

That's because there is hardly any actual Jacintas outside of AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭stbrennan

Its was either the 46A or the 11...

From getting the bus home from town everyday I'll you this.
    There are three 46A's to every 11.

When waiting at Stephens Green, threes 46A's will pass, followed by an 11.
    There is currently a petition going around my area to keep the 11 running. It is the only bus in the area that drives directly to UCD.
    Its a long journey made longer by having to wait and change buses in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Don't know how many times i've run for the 46A thinking it was the 16A :o Always gets my hopes up when i've been waiting ages and I think my bus is coming aswel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

stovelid wrote: »
    That's because there is hardly any actual Jacintas outside of AH?

Ahhh I see....... the guys in there just made her up so they can pretend they actually have someone to bump uglies with. It all makes sense now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't know how many times i've run for the 46A thinking it was the 16A :o Always gets my hopes up when i've been waiting ages and I think my bus is coming aswel!

www.specsavers.ie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

It's just for a split second and then I realise what bus it is :cool: but ehh.. thanks anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭d10carter

omg i hate the bus like as you can see by my location i use the dart. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 a02bf3e2

My memory of the 46a was one day seating upstairs at the back. Three girls came up stairs..totally d4's..fake hair, fake tan, fake nails the lot!!! Anyway they start talking about the 'OC' in their fake American accents when one of them turns around and says...'omg like I was watching it last night and I was thinking our lives are exactly like the ones in the oc'.....i nearly split my sides laughing...well obviously i could'nt there and then but they all agreed with the girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

unknown13 wrote: »
    Where do you claim you live again? Is it Blackrock.

The 46A doesnt go through Blackrock

It goes by Blackrock though...Mount Merrion Avenue and Newtownpark Avenue are both in Blackrock and the 46A stops at the top of them. I live in Blackrock and its only a 5 minute walk to a 46a stop :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Clonkeen College off Clonkeen road is in Blackrock so somehow Blackrock stretches through to there, which means the 46a passes through at some point :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Clonkeen College off Clonkeen road is in Blackrock so somehow Blackrock stretches through to there, which means the 46a passes through at some point :D:D:D

:rolleyes: yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!

46a doesn't go by Clonkeen. It goes through Deansgrange.

And DR Cowboy Clonkeen is a normal non scobie school. Know a load of guys that go there all bang on.

d10carter wrote: »
    46a doesn't go by Clonkeen. It goes through Deansgrange.

And DR Cowboy Clonkeen is a normal non scobie school. Know a load of guys that go there all bang on.

I know where it is :rolleyes:
    The point was if blackrock stretches that far then at some point it must cross the 46a route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Didn’t Zig and Zag (younger Baordsies ask your parents) have a song about the 46A? I can remember it was about meeting a girl at the 46A bus stop and she was wearing a black baseball cap. Hmmm.
    Damn you I was going to reference that *shakes fist*, the song* is also now stuck in my head.

As someone originally from far north county Dublin, I hated the 46A, regular service, newest buses and being no use to me, that all wound me up just a little.

*For those too young to know about it, we are talking about "The Girl In The Black Baseball Cap" from the classic album "Nevermind the Zogabongs, Here's Zig & Zag"

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Damn you I was going to reference that *shakes fist*, the song* is also now stuck in my head.

As someone originally from far north county Dublin, I hated the 46A, regular service, newest buses and being no use to me, that all wound me up just a little.

*For those too young to know about it, we are talking about "The Girl In The Black Baseball Cap" from the classic album "Nevermind the Zogabongs, Here's Zig & Zag"
    Or Bagatelle - Summer In Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Its a fubbing nightmare. I take it to get from UCD to Monkstown and there is now no longer any viable bus route to my destination. The locals there are up in arms and frankly I don't blame them. It is a huge reduction in service and a nightmare to deal with.

Walls wrote: »
    Its a fubbing nightmare. I take it to get from UCD to Monkstown and there is now no longer any viable bus route to my destination. The locals there are up in arms and frankly I don't blame them. It is a huge reduction in service and a nightmare to deal with.

get it to farm roundabout and 10 mins walk to the other end of the farm
    or
    walk down to rock road (10 mins) and get 7
    or
    63 to Foxrock and then choice of 46a or 145 to Dunnes Cornelscourt and 145

Judging by yesterday the bus no longer turns left at Bakers Corner but continues on down to Dun Laoghaire. The website suggests a destination a mile away or so to catch the 63. Ten minutes is fine in summer but much more difficult in winter and will cause those who are not able bodied a lot of difficulty.

Are you 'a' Cookie Monster, or 'the' Cookie Monster of old?

Judging by yesterday the bus no longer turns left at Bakers Corner but continues on down to Dun Laoghaire.
    correct
    The website suggests a destination a mile away or so to catch the 63. Ten minutes is fine in summer but much more difficult in winter and will cause those who are not able bodied a lot of difficulty.
    there were always going to be those who lost out by this, but for the vast majority of customers its a big improvement. Stillorgan village is also bypassed.

The 4 has been extended down to near the farm, check it out, it may suit you to walk from UCD to 4 rather than the walk at the end.
    Are you 'a' Cookie Monster, or 'the' Cookie Monster of old?
    clearly the real one. moved from Sesame street to Cabinteely about a year ago :p

i seen the 46a on the n11 yesterday at the stop outside commons road :O

d10carter wrote: »
    i seen the 46a on the n11 yesterday at the stop outside commons road :O

likely a OOS bus with the display still active or a relief bus running with the number so people recognise it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Badgerman2

TheBlock wrote: »
    46B FTW

Lol.

Thank god it won't serve Stillorgan and the farm from now on.

They should have done this years ago, makes so much more sense.

clearly the real one. moved from Sesame street to Cabinteely about a year ago :p

Hmmm....what is your opinion of chocolate muffin?

(To those of you wondering what the hell?, trust me, I'm on to something here....)

Hmmm....what is your opinion of chocolate muffin?

(To those of you wondering what the hell?, trust me, I'm on to something here....)

it's food, therefor good. choco chip is best

• Advertisement

it's food, therefor good. choco chip is best

Grand, I understand you now...

Advertisement