Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What courses / info is available

Options
  • 16-09-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm not a qualified electrician, but I am competent with domestic electrics. At my stage I am far from able to do an apprenticeship but I would like to further my knowledge in this area.

Can anyone recommend any courses or books etc.... or what would be the most benefit to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

Apprenticeships are the only route I'd recommend to gaining the knowledge to work on any electrical circuits safely and to a good of standard of work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In a perfect world, yes I'd like to do that, however I'm 30 years of age with a mortgage and two children so I don't think its possible unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

There are so many books its hard to know where to begin.

There are some evening courses in DIT Kevin St. if you're available to attend (usually 6:30 - 10:00pm)? Not sure what FAS offer. Some private companys run basic 1 week introductory courses in electrical fault finding or electro-pneumatics etc... (city & guilds certified)

When you say you'd like to "further your knowledge in this area", what exactly do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Philistine wrote: »
    When you say you'd like to "further your knowledge in this area", what exactly do you mean?

Best practice. Rules and regs for domestic installations etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

You could take a look at "Modern Wiring Practice" published by Elsevier. This provides an explanation of the IEE Wiring Regulations.
    IEE themselves have a whole plethora of publications e.g. Wiring Regulations, On-Site Guide.
    Best thing is to take a look at these and see if they meet your needs. You will probably find they will raise a whole lot more questions and are not a substitute for following a proper training program.
    Try Hodges Fidges and Waterstones , both in Dawson St. Dublin. Expect to pay about €30 each. Might also be available from Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This provides an explanation of the IEE Wiring Regulations.
    IEE themselves have a whole plethora of publications e.g. Wiring Regulations, On-Site Guide.
    I am sure this would be good, but you may be better focusing on the Irish regulations (ET 101) even thought there are many similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

also don't rule out some of the places up north, they may offer some sort of part time classes. I read about some in North West Regional College, they had some top up classes, you might need a trade, but you never know, it could be worth a phone call.

Advertisement