Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cully & Sully Chicken Curry is deee....

Options
  • 16-09-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

...sgusting. (yes im aware disgusting is spelled wrong)

This is a chicken curry (without rice) that can be found in the chilled cabinets in dunnes & tesco. It comes in a large pot shaped cardboard container. Nice idea, very handy as it can be microwaved in minutes.

Where do i start??? Its just not very nice, it tastes like something you would get in a tin for 80c not 4 euros? Its a generic bland curry sauce with hard chunks of potatoe, rock hard chickpeas & something that should not be in a curry; sweetcorn!! Its more of a stew really. Even after adding chilli sauce & soy sauce it was only ok.

What was good about it?.....eh?..the chicken is quite tender? Thats it.

The posh container does a very good job of fooling you into the purchase with all the boasting about what they use to make the product but when it comes to eating it, its a huge let-down. Boring.

3/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't buy anything from the Allen family after what happened a few years back.
    I don't care whether it is from Darina, Tim, Rachel or Cullen Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The op was talking about the taste of the product, your views on certain members of the family are irrelevant to this discussion.
    I hope no member of your family is ever guilty of wrong doing because people like you are everywhere and you will be tarred with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

...sgusting. (yes im aware disgusting is spelled wrong)

This is a chicken curry (without rice) that can be found in the chilled cabinets in dunnes & tesco. It comes in a large pot shaped cardboard container. Nice idea, very handy as it can be microwaved in minutes.

Where do i start??? Its just not very nice, it tastes like something you would get in a tin for 80c not 4 euros? Its a generic bland curry sauce with hard chunks of potatoe, rock hard chickpeas & something that should not be in a curry; sweetcorn!! Its more of a stew really. Even after adding chilli sauce & soy sauce it was only ok.

What was good about it?.....eh?..the chicken is quite tender? Thats it.

The posh container does a very good job of fooling you into the purchase with all the boasting about what they use to make the product but when it comes to eating it, its a huge let-down. Boring.

3/10

I quite liked this. As a microwave dish it was fine. Not hot enough for my taste but overall I thought it a nice blend of flavours. I think you can be as creative as you like with a curry. Get as much healthy veg as you can in there is my motto.

I can't imagine how soy and chilli sauce would ever improve the flavor of a curry.

One thing I was quite impressed with was the low salt content - too many of these types of processed dinners contain crazy levels of salt to amke them edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

CJH - Stick to commenting on the food. Other matters are off-topic.

tbr - If you have a problem with a post use the Report Post function.

Back on topic now please.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I've yet to find any decent frozen curry (or jarred curry sauce, come to that) - I'm not usually a 'complainer' but a few years back I wrote to Findus (I think) to complain about their frozen Madras, which had about as much heat as a bowl of porridge. They responded with an apology and a voucher to get more of the vile stuff. I haven't tried complaining since - but it might be worth the OP giving it a go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Darkginger wrote: »
    I've yet to find any decent frozen curry (or jarred curry sauce, come to that) - I'm not usually a 'complainer' but a few years back I wrote to Findus (I think) to complain about their frozen Madras, which had about as much heat as a bowl of porridge. They responded with an apology and a voucher to get more of the vile stuff. I haven't tried complaining since - but it might be worth the OP giving it a go?

To be honest i don't expect any frozen or chilled supermarket curries to be anywhere near 'the real thing'. Especially indian curries. But the cully & sully stuff is tasteless gloop. Its all show & no go.

Tesco's chicken & cashew nut dish is quite nice. Its in the chilled foods section. Has bright red packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

I think it's beautiful.. All the cully & Sully soups are..Just going to have the chicken and veg soup now.. Although not sure how healthy these soups are, they certainly look ok

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ah Cully & Sully.. Boom Time food if ever there was any :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I generally find their dishes nice enough - but waaaaaaaay overpriced.

I only buy it if I see it on special offer or something.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The range promises a lot and doesn't really deliver. With the soups especially... Just haven't really enjoyed any of their products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The range promises a lot and doesn't really deliver. With the soups especially... Just haven't really enjoyed any of their products.

I would agree. Ive tried a few of their products & i honestly can't say i enjoyed any of them. They're ok. Their carrot & corriander or chicken soup isn't half as nice as Avonmores versions. And the latter is cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I would agree. Ive tried a few of their products & i honestly can't say i enjoyed any of them. They're ok. Their carrot & corriander or chicken soup isn't half as nice as Avonmores versions. And the latter is cheaper.

The meals and soups range are manufacturerd by two different Irish companies so if you find you have a problem with both it points at problems with the original Cully and Sully recipes and not just a bad production batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I adore the soups.

Advertisement