Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 bedroom lease, can one act as tenant?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I'm taking out a lease in an apartment pretty soon. It's 2 bedroom and I'll have a friend moving in but the friend isn't available just yet. (Another few weeks).

The agency told me that if they living there they must go down as tenant also and they must give references, such as employer, previous landlord etc. This is a bit tricky for them at moment.

So my question is, why can't I just go down as the full tenant and it be me that pays and I take what ever money off my friend. It doesn't seem to work that way with this estate agent.

Is it normal that if more than one person living in apartment, they all must go down as full tenants and go through same process as the main tenant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

What they're saying is they're not prepared to allow you to sublet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Ok I see, any reason why? - I mean I'm willing take responsibility of the entire rent anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Because they do not want to, and thats a good enough reason unfortunately. Maybe they don't like to not have references etc and a contract signed in case something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Because they do not want to, and thats a good enough reason unfortunately. Maybe they don't like to not have references etc and a contract signed in case something goes wrong.
    Yeah but I'll have plenty references for myself. It's just the other person isn't in country right now and I need a place soon. It's a bit complicated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah but I'll have plenty references for myself. It's just the other person isn't in country right now and I need a place soon. It's a bit complicated :(

I suppose from a landlords point of view they know you and have your references, but they dont know the other person. For all they know your friend could have burned down every house they have ever lived in thru gross incompetetence.

Can your friend provide all the necessary references and what not when they come back? Maybe say this to the landlord; ask can you go on the lease on your own and then add the friend to the lease when they get back and provide the necessary references. My previous letting agent seemed to be happy enough to allow this as I asked her about it when moving in as I wasnt sure if I would be able to afford the place on my own and might have needed to move a friend in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement