Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda Ocarina of Time

Options
  • 17-09-2010 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

This is my favourite Nintendo game of all time. I really loved it. Anyone know if there's another Link adventure in production? I tried replaying it, but it's not the same experience when you half remember things...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

You certainly brought back some memories there :D

Those tunes do still stick in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

They really do, don't they?! Glad I'm not the only one who can remember them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

You're definitly not the only one, saria's theme is a particular favourite of mine, there is another one on the way on the wii, called Skyward Sword, looks fantastic for a wii game and fingers crossed will be out next year.

And Epona's song! It was a fantastic game. Loved it. And that's great that there is another Zelda game in production, thanks for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Zelda Ocarina of Time is coming out on the 3DS looking forward to that :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

There's a new Zelda coming out (soon, well no set date) for the wii. Then you have the remake of OOT on the new 3DS.

Might I suggest Twilight Princess; it's a great game I find. I could never stand OOT or MM on the N64 (played them on a friend's wii for a few days, then got a lend and still couldn't be bothered). For me, Twilight Princess is the "current" OOT. It's got a beautiful soundtrack, pretty cool sword play (mainly if you're using the wii) and let's be honest, the graphics blow the ones from OOT out of the water.

I never played twilight princess actually, I'd heard mixed reviews. I may give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

i-digress wrote: »
    I never played twilight princess actually, I'd heard mixed reviews. I may give it a go.

If you have a snes give A Link To The Past a shot, amazing game, probably the best in the series for me.

Spirit Tracks on the DS is actually a pretty good game, Majoras Mask on the N64, is worth a run through too. But LTTP and Ocarina are in a league of their own so far...although I've yet to play Twilight Princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I actually prefer Majoras Mask to Ocarina of Time... Much darker game, and until you figure out how best to tackle the different things within the timeframe, it's much more challenging!

I actually prefer Majoras Mask to Ocarina of Time... Much darker game, and until you figure out how best to tackle the different things within the timeframe, it's much more challenging!

Agreed, it's similar in style to Ocarina, but a completely different game - damn tough too!

• Advertisement

Getting ALL the masks was the biggest challenge! Felt good swapping them all for that one mask though... even if it did mean the ending was made a bit easy...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I felt Majoras Mask was better. It was something completely different from not only zelda games but from anything else. Still OoT's a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Getting ALL the masks was the biggest challenge! Felt good swapping them all for that one mask though... even if it did mean the ending was made a bit easy...

I never swapped them? No wonder I thought the final battle was a bit tough. Ended up wrecking the analog stick on my controller. Must try it again and see if I can find this mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

So much time spent chasing that damn loach in the fish pond!!

I never swapped them? No wonder I thought the final battle was a bit tough. Ended up wrecking the analog stick on my controller. Must try it again and see if I can find this mask.

Yeah, you could give all the masks to the kids around the tree at the end, and that would get you a mask that provides an epic transformation, into Oni Link...

I ♥ Oni Link, but it makes easy work of the boss when you're wearing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

One of the greatest games ever made. The dungeons were brilliant, they had great atmosphere and fiendishly difficult puzzles. The Water Temple is still infamous for its near-impossible multi-level puzzles (i still cleared it when I was 12 though :cool:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah the water temple moaners are just that, moaners. It just takes a bit of leg work and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

EnterNow wrote: »
    If you have a snes give A Link To The Past a shot, amazing game, probably the best in the series for me.

Spirit Tracks on the DS is actually a pretty good game, Majoras Mask on the N64, is worth a run through too. But LTTP and Ocarina are in a league of their own so far...although I've yet to play Twilight Princess.

Completely agree, For me a link to the past is definitely the best in the series and well worth getting the GBA version online to play on the DS, it's easily the longerst and hardest game of the series. Ocarina of time is amazing though, their the two best games of arguably the best games series ever.

Mint boxed copy of Majoras Mask on ebay.ie (Dublin). 1 hour left - Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

The Water Temple is excellent, so satisfying to complete, but the designers did apologise for making you go into the menu every time you had to change boots :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Ahh, easily one of my favorite games of all time.. :P
    Looking forward to the remake on 3DS, and I've got all of the others, bar Zelda on NES, I've got AoL on the NES now though, thanks to a friend. =]

Still, I think OoT is easily my all time favorite.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I've never player OoT but when it comes out on 3DS I'm gonna get it:D
    Just hope it lives up to the hype

pdbhp wrote: »
    I've never player OoT but when it comes out on 3DS I'm gonna get it:D
    Just hope it lives up to the hype

It's aged visually an awful lot so it can take some time to get into. My advice is not to dismiss it immediately because after a slow start it gets amazing.

At least it isn't as slow to start as Majoras Mask. Thought the game was rubbish until I finished the first temple (a good 4-5 hours in) and then decided the game was unmitigated genius and brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's aged visually an awful lot so it can take some time to get into. My advice is not to dismiss it immediately because after a slow start it gets amazing.

At least it isn't as slow to start as Majoras Mask. Thought the game was rubbish until I finished the first temple (a good 4-5 hours in) and then decided the game was unmitigated genius and brilliant.

Well I'm not a graphics whore and most of the games I enjoy are older less graphically capable titles. As for the whole moving slow at the start thing since it's a Zelda title I should be able to stand it for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Favourite game of all time.

I would love, absolutely LOVE, to see a graphic update to OoT. No other changes except maybe how you access items and a skip sequence option (I love the sequences but I've played that game 16 times, sometimes I just REALLY want to skip the tree), but NO plot changes, NO script changes, NO layout changes, nothing.

Well.. maybe a "mute Navi" option. :pac:

It just needs to be at the standard of today's games visually, and it would literally be the best game of all time.

I loved the Forest Temple, some of it was damn trippy like the hallway and the hands! Water Temple was a challenge alright, but certainly rewarding (I hate it all the same though, I have a fear of deep water and even in games I hate being in water, don't ask). Loved doing the archery contest with Epona. The Gorons are great, love their theme song.

Ah god, so many great things about that game! Would play it again if I had an N64, unfortunately I just can't bear with it on emulators. Just doesn't feel the same, either.

That said, MM and TP are great. TP is SO reminiscent of OoT, I suppose maybe a bit overly so in that it lacks a bit of creativity, but for a true lover of the series and a lover of OoT, it's so cool to have all these flashbacks of the older games throughout the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I got OoT with the special edition of Wind Waker on the GC, it was on the 2nd disc, I remember playing thinking "ugh this looks kinda pants compared to what I remember it being like" by the beginning of the first temple I didnt care, still an incredible game to play.

Its one of the reasons I want a 3DS, handheld OoT? yes please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

liah wrote: »
    That said, MM and TP are great. TP is SO reminiscent of OoT, I suppose maybe a bit overly so in that it lacks a bit of creativity, but for a true lover of the series and a lover of OoT, it's so cool to have all these flashbacks of the older games throughout the game.

You know, I don't get why some people are so against Twilight Princess. I had a great time playing through that in absolute marathon sessions over a week (which I never do). It doesn't advance the OoT formula much, granted, and lacks the 'ooh, newness!' of Wind Waker and DS games - although the novelty was wearing off in Spirit Tracks. But it just goes to some lengths to improve the game technologically, full of fun set pieces (rafting!) and beautiful environments. It's been too long since I played it to remember the dungeons in depth, but I was very impressed. As a higher-def reimagining of OoT, it's a wonderful experience.

As for the 3DS remake, I admit on closer inspection they have tidied the graphics a bit. But still isn't as radical a departure from the original as I would have hoped. It retains the art style, but personally a seriously in-depth overhaul would have been welcome - not enough to compromise the original vision, but enough to make it seem new and exciting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

liah wrote: »
    FI would love, absolutely LOVE, to see a graphic update to OoT.

They actually did that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7K8wdjZXWU

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

i-digress wrote: »

Critics of videogames never cease to amaze me sometimes. TP is a bloody massive game, it took me just short of 57 hours to complete on first play through and I enjoyed every bit of it. Yes some bits were familiar to older Zelda titles but a game that's over 50 hours long and barring a slow start holds your attention right the way through with some excellent dungeons and puzzles deserves commendation. Considering that most videogames today seem to be changing towards just 6 to 9 hour single player campaigns I think most critics that gave twilight princess less than 90% are really talking out of their arses. It was one the greatest value for money single player games I ever bought. I mean, you could just spend hours on the fishing alone. And there were tonnes of other minigames that were far better than some mini game compilations on the Wii. All that said, although TP is by far the better game, Ocarina of Time is still the game that had the greater impact and memories. So it does deserver a special place in our hearts, have no illusions though, TP also happens to be one of the best games of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,635 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

loved the OoT but i also loved twilight princess. been a while since i played it , but took me many hours to finish it and loved it all the way through.
    my ps3 did not get much use until i finished it. i cannot wait for the next one to come out.

i bought majouras mask for the wii but have only played a bit so far. from what i have read i should give it another chance. seems like a slow start to it.

Advertisement