Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freddie mercury

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Amazing songwriter, amazing frontman.
    Will never be touched.
    It will be 20 years next november since he died, hard to believe.

I still listen to the albums daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Brian May:D

-IS a known Freemason
    -BRAINWASHED Freddie Mercury into participating in his music group
    -LIED to the public for years
    -TRANSFORMED drummer Roger Taylor into a monarch slave to do his bidding
    -ACQUIRED the HIV virus from his Illuminati ties.
    -INFECTED Freddie Mercury with the super-strain
    -PROFITED from his death
    -REPLACED the man who brought him fame and fortune
    -THREATENED to kill John Deacon - and his whole family - if he ever revealed the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Your daughter isn't the one that smacked the other girl in the mouth, is she?

I hate that I wasn't old enough to appreciate their music at the time :(

Music is ageless enjoy it now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Odd that I was watching the Jedward programme the other evening and it was Freddie that popped into my head. And now a thread on boards a few days later.

I don't know what made me think of Freddie in particular. I suppose you had gaggles of young people in hysterics around those talentless eejits. And then by contrast, 20/30 years ago, you had this vocal genius composing masterpieces with his supergroup. It's all gone backwards. The TV talent show thing won't produce another Queen, if there is to be such.

Auvers wrote: »
    Brian May:D

-IS a known Freemason
    -BRAINWASHED Freddie Mercury into participating in his music group
    -LIED to the public for years
    -TRANSFORMED drummer Roger Taylor into a monarch slave to do his bidding
    -ACQUIRED the HIV virus from his Illuminati ties.
    -INFECTED Freddie Mercury with the super-strain
    -PROFITED from his death
    -REPLACED the man who brought him fame and fortune
    -THREATENED to kill John Deacon - and his whole family - if he ever revealed the truth.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056025807

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

"Who wants to live forever" still remains one of my favourite vocal enjoyments in life.

Anyone care to embed it for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LncAQR47eZo

awesome guy, like himself and kobain. now we are left with imbicles of the x factor regime and the like.

dont make artists like this anymore...

Mercury amazing frontman worshipped the world over, Cobain frontman of the most over-rated band ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Your daughter isn't the one that smacked the other girl in the mouth, is she?

I hate that I wasn't old enough to appreciate their music at the time :(

No, she is planning on entering next year. Hopefully, if she smacks anyone in the mouth it'll be crocodile tears Cheryl.:D

I hate that I was old enough to be around for most of their chart toppers. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

topper75 wrote: »
    The TV talent show thing won't produce another Queen, if there is to be such.

That's the thing that I hate about the way things have gone. There really never will be another band like Queen will there. Music just comes and goes now.

That was the main thing that saddened me about Michael Jacksons death. There will never be anyone that comes close to what he was either.

That was the main thing that saddened me about Michael Jacksons death. There will never be anyone that comes close to what he was either.

I could get slated for saying this - but I blame punk music. All the mediocre unsophisticated stuff of today has its roots in punk with its 'anyone can play guitar and start a band' notions.

You can't compose songs of the calibre of Who Wants to Live Forever or Beat It by just knowing three chord tricks in your folks' garage.

• Advertisement

Have you ever heard the duets of Mercury and Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooKEHgeH884

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEBo0Hf3LqE

Mercury sounds like a giant beside Jackson, The power of the mans voice was remarkable.

topper75 wrote: »
    I could get slated for saying this - but I blame punk music. All the mediocre unsophisticated stuff of today has its roots in punk with its 'anyone can play guitar and start a band' notions.

You can't compose songs of the calibre of Who Wants to Live Forever or Beat It by just knowing three chord tricks in your folks' garage.

Not so sure about that. I would have thought a lot of it has to do with new media. Anyone that knows the three chord trick and can fit a microphone in their folks garage, can release an album.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Amazing frontman alright, full of charisma!

However this thread reminds me of the quote from his mother as he was being buried, "That's the cleanest hole he ever went into!!!"

Sorry, I apologise, couldn't resist :(

Not so sure about that. I would have thought a lot of it has to do with new media.

Good point. With youtube etc, it's a double-edged sword.
    +: raw talent doesn't need to kiss up a record industry
    -: non-talent is mushrooming
    kfallon wrote: »
    Amazing frontman alright, full of charisma!
    You can see in the Who Wants to Live Forever clip that he talks like he is in a cabaret, but he is addressing a packed football stadium. The stage was his home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

First off Mercury was about a million leagues above Cobain.

He was a legend from when he started standing out in his teenage years in Zanzibar until the day he died. He touched so many hearts even after his own death, including mine. I don't remember him dying I was only like 3 but the music was in the house (vinyl baby :cool:)

He lived a rock and roll life, was in one of the biggest bands in the world and is still remembered fondly. It's very sad they way he died but through this he did raise awareness for the homosexual community.

We should make Freddie a saint. We should have a petition, you'd have so many people sign it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I saw them live at Slane - jeepers was I young!

Btw the love of Freddies life was his gardener from Tipp of all places with a really strong Tipp accent.

When he was young it was a girl called Mary Austin I think.

His religion was a very rare one called the Zoroastrian religion started in 600 BC.

I am a big fan of Queens early work especially their first four or five albums. They did go down hill after that.
    This song is a great one Describing whats going on in the painting by Richard Dadd ( I was trying to pick up a print at one stage)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7-9eAal_x4

I think The Works was the last good album they made. Heres a good song from that album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlJXHc4jb30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Wouldnt a classic rock forum be great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Legend alright.

Quality wrote: »
    Wouldnt a classic rock forum be great!!

I agree!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

I am a big fan of Queens early work especially their first four or five albums. They did go down hill after that.

Same here, although there are some good tracks on later albums.

I don't think the non Queen fans realise just how good their early stuff was and how influential they were. Metallica and Guns n' Roses, amongst others, have cited their influence and Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters are major fans.

I never got to see them live, was only discovering rock music and bands when they played Slane and '86 was their last live shows (with Freddie). I was living in London when Freddie Mercury died and paid my respects outside his house the day after his death, along with many others.

Check this out. Metallica covered this and performed it at his tribute concert in 1992

This is really odd but its just been announced that Sacha Baron Cohen is to play Freddie Mercury in a new film :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11340336

Looking forward to it...... maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

This song is a great one Describing whats going on in the painting by Richard Dadd ( I was trying to pick up a print at one stage)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7-9eAal_x4

I think The Works was the last good album they made. Heres a good song from that album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlJXHc4jb30

Agree with you 100%. I'm blown away every time I listen to Queen & Queen II. I love the way one rolls into the other. Basically one big album. They were ground breaking & masters in the studio & spared no expense in getting an album right.

They are possibly the single most influential band ever because they appealed to so many. They covered just about every genre around at the time from hard rock to Disco. You'll have an almost impossible task to find a rock band around today (in the last 20-25 years) that wasn't influenced by Queen & that doesn't hold Queen in the highest regard.

I know when I go to my grave (hopefully another 40-50 years+) the debate will still be the same. Which is the greatest rock song of all time! Bohemian Rhapsody or Stairway to Heaven. Nobody will ever produce music or a song on that level again. I believe the best has been delivered & now it's just a lot of pretenders with a few good bands.

I must add this: The single greatest compliment I've seen or heard towards Queen is Muse's latest offering. The Resistance. Listen to that album. One of the greatest albums I've ever heard. It's almost like listening to Queen. Many rifts in some of the songs would make you believe Brian May was playing. Bellamy is no Freddie but has his own unique style that stands out to me. The symphony's on the album are amazing & just like the kind of thing Queen would have done :D

Barochoc, there's one song on the muse album that directly references princes of the universe, it is a fantastic album

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Queen were also a huge influence on young Billy Corgan - to the point where he had Roy Thomas Baker producing a couple of tracks of the last Smashing Pumpkins album - not hard to spot on the album either.

I was at Slane too - Freddie and the band were superb. He's a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

allanb49 wrote: »
    Barochoc, there's one song on the muse album that directly references princes of the universe, it is a fantastic album

Hey allanb49, which song is that?

barochoc wrote: »
    Hey allanb49, which song is that?

United States of Eurasia,

And these wars they can't be won
    And these wars they can't be won
    And do you want them to go on, on and on?
    Why split these states when there can be only one?

That line there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Brian May is a freak, who basically married himself....

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/anita_brian-gal-lookalikes.jpg

Yep - that's his f*cking wife on the right left right ... **** it, you can't tell them apart.

I always thought May and former Arsenal/Spurs manager George Graham were the same person, just a quick application of the frizzy wig and off you go!

GeorgeGrahamST_228x331.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I always thought May and former Arsenal/Spurs manager George Graham were the same person, just a quick application of the frizzy wig and off you go!

There is a striking resemblance all right!

• Advertisement

Someone photo shop a perm onto George Graham, and make May bald.

Advertisement