Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roundabouts - How do you navigate them?

• 17-09-2010 3:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been wondering about this for quite a while. Roundabouts always seem like a very dangerous place if you are cycling, and I could never figure out how cyclists are meant to enter, navigate, and exit a roundabout.

I know there are a few here that regularly go through the roundabout at Donabate, so input from you guys would be appreciated.

So how do you get across a roundabout, and what's the safest strategy for getting through it?

Thanks!

Hauk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Carefully and quickly. Make sure you have eye contact with any drivers entering the roundabout from the left. Turning right is the biggest problem. I usually take the same line I would if I were driving car. But watching all drivers very carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭mowhawk

In theory you obey the exact same rules as any other road user. In practice doing so is extremely dangerous due to the appalling standards of the aforementioned other road users, mostly car drivers, who largely do not know how to negotiate a roundabout properly anyway and who display little or no patience for other (slower moving) road users. Cyclists in particular should always be very wary on roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

serendip wrote: »
    I usually take the same line I would if I were driving car. But watching all drivers very carefully.

+1. This is what I do. Try to keep the speed up (while avoiding manhole covers. :o). Don't behave like a shrinking violet. Be assertive.

But be cúramach, freisin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Same as with a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Like most people in Cork, I shut my eyes as I approach and hope I get through unscathed....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Exactly the same as a car, including indicating. I often find that when I'm up tall (making myself more noticeable) and indicating, cars seem so stop in awe (or fear)!

Get the speed up to match the other traffic on the roundabout if possible (reduces the chance of idiotic overtaking attempts) and take the centre of the lane (again, discouraging overtakes), signal appropriately and be especially wary of cars entering the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

as if you where a car. take the centre of the road and follow the rotd and you be fine. make sure you in the correct lane if its a big one and lots of early clear indications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Carefully and quickly. Make sure you have eye contact with any drivers entering the roundabout from the left. Turning right is the biggest problem. I usually take the same line I would if I were driving car. But watching all drivers very carefully.

All good advice. When exiting a roundabout after turning right (and sometimes even going straight ahead), I look over my left shoulder while indicating left (to exit) in case someone is coming up on the inside. Good road positioning in the centre of the lane sorts out most problems though.

For going straight through small, tight roundabouts in estates you can often cycle through them quicker than driving (taking the racing line). In this case I don't indicate and just put the foot down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

funkyjebus wrote: »
    as if you where a car. take the centre of the road and follow the rotd and you be fine. make sure you in the correct lane if its a big one and lots of early clear indications.

+1.

Take the lane, big signals well in advance, follow the inside lane if turning right and outer lane for straight ahead.

Don't try to follow alongside the car in your lane. Much too vulnerable there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

el tonto wrote: »
    Same as with a car.
    Yes, but also
    Make sure you have eye contact with any drivers entering the roundabout from the left.
    as it ensures they see you, esp if the sun is to your back or your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

cdaly_ wrote: »
    +1.

Take the lane, big signals well in advance, follow the inside lane if turning right and outer lane for straight ahead.

Don't try to follow alongside the car in your lane. Much too vulnerable there...

yes! I've found that if you can find a clear moment rather than being abreast of a car entering from your junction it makes things more straighforward. I've found myself stopping at the head of the lane and waiting for cars to clear beside me before moving.

ive never been beeped from behind on a roundabout as i think even white-van-man can see how dangerous it can be for cyclists on the bigger roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Walkinstown Roundabout - I aproach between left and centre lanes, looking right to anticipate which way the traffic on or approaching the roundabout is likely to go. Adjust speed on approach so that hopefully don't need to unclip or stop. Spot an upcoming gap and go for it ! Signal clearly and take central position in the centre lane. keep looking and listening - look for the whites of their eyes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I routinely go through a roundabout where the roundabout is wider than the roads that lead into it by around 50% - it's quite dangerous as a driver will see the extra space to pass but this space is not actually there at the exit. Neither is it a "proper" two lane roundabout.

I have had a dublin bus pass me on the outside and then find it had to go over the centre of the roundabout (it's one of those ones with the raised brickes in the middle and is reasonably small). On another occasion a car tried the same thing and forced me left. I'm still not sure whether he hit me or not but I ended up with a hard fall (always wear your helmet boys and girsl!).

The upshot is I know position myself about 3/4 the way across the lane on entering the roundabout when I get to within 10-20m of it. I hold that line or close to it until I clear the roundabout at which time I take up a normal position on the left. To date no more close calls or even beeps from the cars behind me. I think they are happy enough that the decision to pass is taken away from them.

I rarely use the larger roundabouts and when doing so tend to proceed very cautiously on the outside lane even if I'm going to make a right turn. I will also stop on the roundabout and let cars pass if needs be - this probably reflects my lack of experience is using the larger roundabouts when on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Most of my thoughts on cycling roundabouts have been covered above. My habit is to approach with decent speed if possible to get across the first line of attack from the right as soon as possible. If I am leaving the roundabout at the 9 o clock position, I enter in the left lane. If I plan to exit at the 12 o clock position I enter in the left lane. Leaving the roundabout at the 3 o clock position, I enter in the right hand side lane and move across to the left hand side to make an ease exit.

For me the main problem is when motorists enter in the right hand lane even though they leave at the 12 o c position or worse, the 9 o c position.

It baffles me how many motorists follow the red line route here http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html even when there is no obstruction in the left lane, although road markings in Ireland do not help as they seem to suggest that there are two lanes available when exiting a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

steer clear of the inside lane, cars wont be expecting a cyclist to be coming at them from the right to exit left in front of them and tbf by the time they see them its too late usually, its good following car lines, but this is one situation you dont want to. stay away from the inside lane usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I try to design my routes to avoid any roundabout more complex than a two-lane roundabout.

me@ucd wrote: »
    steer clear of the inside lane, cars wont be expecting a cyclist to be coming at them from the right to exit left in front of them and tbf by the time they see them its too late usually, its good following car lines, but this is one situation you dont want to. stay away from the inside lane usually.
    That behaviour seems to be endorsed (or at least noted as common behaviour) in the rules of the road link from above.
    In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to: [...]

cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout,

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

I guess by "inside lane" most people here mean the lane nearest the centre of the roundabout? Sometimes people use it to mean the lane furthest from the centre of the roundabout. I seem to remember Lumen saying that the preferred nomenclature is Lane A, Lane B, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Take up a lane like a car, so people can't pass you, and everyone can see you.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

The advice above about "steer clear of the inside lane" goes against my experience/preference. In "cyclecraft" John Franklin emphasises "Always keep away from the outside edge of the roundabout, no matter which exit you are aiming to take", see: Cyclecraft: Roundabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

me@ucd wrote: »

Can't agree with this at all I'm afraid, Cyclecraft says the opposite and that's good enough for me. Whenever I'm turning right on a roundabout I position myself in the centre of the inside lane early on and move along assertively looking to make eye contact with any drivers who need to yield to me. I also try to sit up to make myself as visible as possible and am not averse to raising my hand to drivers to reinforce the fact that they need to stop. If I have a front LED I turn it on to flash. Works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

quickly and assertively, keeping in the outside lane regardless of the exit taking, and using the same indicating rules as if i was in my car as per the ROTR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

LastGasp wrote: »
    Walkinstown Roundabout - I aproach between left and centre lanes, looking right to anticipate which way the traffic on or approaching the roundabout is likely to go. Adjust speed on approach so that hopefully don't need to unclip or stop. Spot an upcoming gap and go for it ! Signal clearly and take central position in the centre lane. keep looking and listening - look for the whites of their eyes !

Walkinstown roundabout is hard enough to negotiate in a car, what must it be like on a bike! :eek:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

My commute to work through swords takes me through 5 roundabouts. I always take the centre left lane. I made the mistake of assuming that because a car was in the left lane he will take the first left turn and not go straight through. So i positioned myself in the middle of the two cars. wrong WRONG! He proceeds straight and i get sandwiched. Never again. Lesson learned

Advertisement