Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning Spanish in Spain

• 17-09-2010 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I'm thinking of learning Spanish in Spain for a few months next year. I'm a complete beginner and hope to do a basic course before I head over- I figure the best way to learn the language would be to actually move over there for a few months rather than attend a nightclass for years.

Maybe some of you would have recommendations/ tips on some of the best cities to learn Spanish ( Castillian, as a beginner I guess- though I would be very interested in Catalan and the other languages in Spain as well, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself here:)).

Have you had positive experiences? Any adventures? How did you get by over there- TEFL/working in a bar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Mr Mike

Hi,

Its a good time to go and learn Spanish. I went to Valencia for a month last January and studied at a language school. It was a great experience ( great to enjoy a winter-summer, weather over there in January is similar to summer here! Maybe a little sunnier even!

I recommend learning basic Spanish before going, its less daunting and Spanish people tend to be much friendlier to those who make an effort with language. Audio courses such as Pimsleur's Spanish, Learning Spanish Like Crazy or Michel Thomas courses. Get a childrens spanish book and read and translate a few sentences every day. For studying effectiveness your write night classes are of little use, I find practice a little every day is the best. Even just ten minutes. I learning spanish by myself this way and could speak quite well in a year, now after two years I can speak freely about almost anything.

Its the total immersion that brings such results while studying in Spain. About locations, I went to Valencia on the east coast. I recommend Valencia strongly, its not too big and people speak a fairly clear spanish. I find those from Castilla-Leon speak the clearest, from cities like Salamanca or Valladolid, however this region has cold winters, even colder than Ireland.

My course was 25 hour / week and cost 150 Euro / week. At Espanole en Valencia, the school was OK for a shorter period, it was a bit cramped in there but it was central.

Visit:
    http://centrosasociados.cervantes.es/Inicio2.htm

For a list of schools approved by the Cervantes Institute ( Spanish language teaching agency of the spanish Government )

Buenas Suerte
    Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭NedNew2

Mr Mike, can you let me know how many students on average there were in your spanish classes?

Me podrias dejar saber cuantos alumnos había promedia en sus clases españoles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

MrMike is right about Castilla y Leon accents being some of the clearest but they speak so quickly, it's very difficult to understand them. Also in Valladolid, it's impossible to find anyone who speaks English outside of the education system (english teachers, english assistants etc) which is very alienating at times (I'm over here at the minute).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 myomi

Thanks for all the advice. My friend also recommend Valencia to me but she hadn’t been learning Spanish but from all accounts it’s a lovely city so I'm seriously considering it now.
    @Mr. Mike Did you find it hard to find accommodation? I probably will head over in the late Spring, so unfortunately will have to brave another winter here, but I have to save some money for the trip first.. Oh and you said the course is around €150 a week-Did you find the course good value for money? Was it based based on spoken Spanish or grammer or both? Did you have difficulties with the local Valencian being spoken, or is it quite different from Castillian?

@allandanyways Are you doing a course in Valladolid? Did you find it useful- what is the city like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

myomi wrote: »
    @allandanyways Are you doing a course in Valladolid? Did you find it useful- what is the city like?

Long story short, I was supposed to be doing a language assistant thing here, but for personal reasons, I'm coming home.

The city is beautiful. If you're into historical architecture, it's a dream. It's really clean and there's loads of cultural stuff and restaurants and bars etc.

They just speak so fast here, it's ridiculous. I can't understand half the things that are said to me. My spoken Spanish is quite good (or so I thought) so this came as quite a shock to the system, being so lost! Personally, I wouldn't recommend coming here to learn a language. Coming here without near-fluent Spanish would be extremely difficult, because when I say nobody speaks English, I mean absolutely nobody. Seems like a great idea, but when you need a doctor or some medication etc, it's a nightmare.

That's just my personal experience, but I have a first class honours degree in Spanish and I'm struggling to get by here because they speak so quickly, so just putting it on the table...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 myomi

hey I'm sorry to hear that, I had no idea it would be so difficult to get by, probably won't head to there as a beginner then, maybe I'll head there in a few years time as a challenge then when I hopefully will be more fluent!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Mr Mike

Hi guys,

Mr Mike here, I am happy people are interested in going to Spain to learn Spanish. I had 4 people in my class - which was on the low side ( usually there are 3 - 8 ) People are normally in the 18 - 25 year area and German! French and American people are common too. Although it my be good for your social life to have a lot of Americans, but they generally speak terrible Spanish and are only interested talking in English. Not good for the spanish student. :-)

Usually the school can organise accommodation, there are many options. But this is the major cost in going there. I recommend staying with a host family, for two weeks and then moving into a shared flat (un piso compartido) with Spaniards. Renting directly from the land lord will save you lots.

150 Euro is a cheap as it gets from my experience for a 25h course. A found it excellent value. The course was excellent overall - a good mix of conversation and grammar. The course were taught in Spanish, no English whatsoever.

Most people speak Espanol alli en Valencia. And they nearly always switch to Espanol when speaking with a foreigner. Anyway, after a time I got most of the content spoken in Valencian.

Hello allandanyways:
    Sorry to hear you re position. Going abroad can be a lonely experience, but I find we grow from it. What's true in Valladolid is like the rest of Spain except Madrid, Barcelona and the coasts. Spanish people generally can t speak English. When I became unconscious of my horrible accent in Spanish, I spoke without worrying what people would think and improved rapidly.

May the force be with you!
    Mr Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Bruz82

Hey all,
    I was thinking of going to Valencia for a while now to study Spanish. So far my research into it is, 9euro per day with a hostel or 16euro per day with a homestay with a family.Im thinking of going for a month with the intentions of trying for a job. I know Spain is harder hit then us for unemployment. I was thinking maybe doing 2weeks in hostel and 2 weeks in the homestay.My question to Mr. Mike is how realistic is it in getting some work, e.g. bar, hostel, even a wineyard. Ive studied Spanish for 4 yaers but was stopping and starting alot, Ii feel if I went I could pick it up fairly ok. Also my budget is maybe 4.5K, how long do you think I could last over there with that budget??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Bruz82

Anybody know anyone who has tried this or any relevant info concerning the following link e.g. Paid Volunteer opportunities in Spain programme, I seen advertised on jobs.ie

http://www.aupairstudy.com/aupairstudy/Main/PaidOpportunities.htm

Advertisement