Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this right?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Working in a house today and had a look at the meter...I just noticed that the earth on the customer side of the meter is not connected to anything. I dont think there is an earth rod either

Is this right?

Photo0231.jpg?t=1284716927

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

depending on the location...., the tncs system is the dominant earthing system used here, the earthing circuit is not provided from the same location as live and neutral, there is a neutralizing point (not in the house) but not a direct connection. The earth connection/circuit is typically provided via an earthrod, the idea is that the "earth" is part of the circuit to connect to. So there should be equi-potential bonding and an earth rod in the house.

sometimes earth rods are hidden, under the floorboards etc. It's not allowed now but it was the norm years ago back when cables were red and black like in your picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 americanpie

Thanks for the quick reply, just curious about it...I'm not that up to scratch on earthing systems, haven't done much work in the past year, same as everyone else I suppose, loosing my edge ha

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

the way it is now that earth should be on the ESB neutral side of the fuse unit. (not the meter)

Call the esb to replace a dodgy Fuse Unit. They will do it no charge. They will leave you a hole to connect the consumer earth tails. As it should be!

(If u want to, You should put an Earth rod Outside and connect it up!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It does look like that should be connected into the neutral of the fuse unit alright, and looks like it will reach no problem, its the esb that should do that connection on that house.

I would of thought the tncs system uses the earth rods to keep the neutral conductor at earth potential more so than the earth rod being part of the fault path. It is of couse part of the fault path but the neutral conductor takes the vast majority of any earth fault current in a tncs setup.

I remember the days of earth rods going in under floorboards downstairs alright, almost seems unthinkable now.

no its not the esb that should do that..... The esb looks after the ESB side of things and the electrician who looks after the Consumers side of things... So the electrician can fix this,

Although with this particular situation, the esb should replace the fuse unit. there is no option for the electrician to connect the earth without removing the covers, which the ESB frown at.... :O

• Advertisement

no its not the esb that should do that..... The esb looks after the ESB side of things and the electrician who looks after the Consumers side of things... So the electrician can fix this,

Although with this particular situation, the esb should replace the fuse unit. there is no option for the electrician to connect the earth without removing the covers, which the ESB frown at.... :O

Well thats why i said the esb will have to do it on `that house`, but i wont argue over who connects it. I cant see how a sparks can connect the one in that photo without breaking the seal.

What they will expect is the house owner get an electrician over to put that neutralising wire into the terminal while the esb man/woman opens the fuse cover.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    What they will expect is the house owner get an electrician over to put that neutralising wire into the terminal while the esb man/woman opens the fuse cover.

Yeah your right about the earlier comment i was just saying.... From working with them they will just replace the fuse unit for future maintainance etc.. Unless its a lazy NT haha!!! The questions been answered tho so this is all off topic lol!

Yeah your right about the earlier comment i was just saying.... From working with them they will just replace the fuse unit for future maintainance etc.. Unless its a lazy NT haha!!! The questions been answered tho so this is all off topic lol!

A sure no harm is goin a little off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Just jumping in to correct this.
    the way it is now that earth should be on the ESB neutral side of the fuse unit. (not the meter)

Call the esb to replace a dodgy Fuse Unit. They will do it no charge. They will leave you a hole to connect the consumer earth tails. As it should be!

(If u want to, You should put an Earth rod Outside and connect it up!)

There isn't anything wrong with the fuse unit. I assume you're not suggesting as well that the earth rod be connected at the cutout?

There is, the side cover clips off. That's not the main issue though. Under no circumstances should an electrician neutralise a premises without ESBN approval!

Laziness doesn't come into it, if the fuse unit requires replacing, it will be replaced. Even DZIII fuse units are not necessarily changed, but often are depending on condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

is it just me or is the t&E coming off the fuse a little small???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

prob a 10sq-they were standard tails back in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Or even sixes!

Probably is tens though.

Advertisement