Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding Fine - attempted to pay

Options
  • 17-09-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Scenario : Last day to pay speeding fine, I go to post office with form filled in correctly and cash fine of 120 euro, but i've forgotten my license, although i have the correct number, On the form it says - "its strongly recommended to bring Driving license with you" but when i get to he counter the clerk says i cant accept it without seeing your license, we go back and forth a few times but he's not budging and i try to get him to ring the driving license office with my license number and then i can confirm its me with the name on my bankcard.
    Who's fault is this? - bar mine for speeding of course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

leinad wrote: »
    Scenario : Last day to pay speeding fine, I go to post office with form filled in correctly and cash fine of 120 euro, but i've forgotten my license, although i have the correct number, On the form it says - "its strongly recommended to bring Driving license with you" but when i get to he counter the clerk says i cant accept it without seeing your license, we go back and forth a few times but he's not budging and i try to get him to ring the driving license office with my license number and then i can confirm its me with the name on my bankcard.

Yours.

Ask a silly question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

1) Speeding yeah... thats you
    2) Reading the form saying you should bring driving license but leaving it at home... totally the clerk in the post office...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a toss-up between Motors and Consumer Issues.

They told you to bring licence and you didn't - your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

biko wrote: »
    It's a toss-up between Motors and Consumer Issues.

Do you think he'll get a different answer in either?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The post office don't know that mumber is 100% correct without seeing your license,

Also although they "could" ring the license office its neither their job and still you may not be who you say you are because via telephone the license office can't compare who you say you are to a photo.

So in short you should have brought the license,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

On the form it says - "its strongly recommended to bring Driving license with you"

I say it's the feckin form's fault... it should say:

"It is mandatory to bring your Driving license with you"

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

thats exactly what i thought - it doesnt say mandatory

Thats what i thought...

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I say it's the feckin form's fault... it should say:

:)

my point exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's still your fault. You didn't bring your license and you left it until the very last day to pay.

Next time, give yourself a day or two (just in case you forget something), and bring your license.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

thats exactly what i thought - it doesnt say mandatory
    the speed limit signs dont say it's mandatory either but you know it is!

fair point.. but hope judge will not be so flippant

Just go back with your license and see will they take the payment even though the expiry date for payment has exceeded.

If they payment goes through there's a good chance that'll be the end of it.

Make sure and get a receipt for the payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Its the form's fault.

The form says "it is reccommended to bring the licence with you" it is NOT a condition for payment.

The garda should have taken the licence number when the OP was stopped.

Same happened to me when i sent payment in post - it was sent back looking for copy of licence and by that time the late payment fee was imposed.

Went to court and it was struck out as the judge agreed that it was not a condition for payment that the licence had to be included. - I had to present the letter to show that i had made attempt to pay.

That is my point,
    Although in my situation i was stopped and did produce my license, so they should really have that on the system, which makes the whole thing a bit silly really, as i presume the check is to make sure you dont get the points assigned to someone else's license,

Now i'm at the 120 fine stage, so it will be a court summons and 4 points,
    I'm going to try and pay tomorrow so i hope if they wont accept it that when it goes to court i will be dealt with leniently.

also, luckily i did ask for receipt to show i had attempted to pay on time - they werent forthcoming with one.

That is my point,
    Although in my situation i was stopped and did produce my license, so they should really have that on the system, which makes the whole thing a bit silly really, as i presume the check is to make sure you dont get the points assigned to someone else's license,

Now i'm at the 120 fine stage, so it will be a court summons and 4 points,
    I'm going to try and pay tomorrow so i hope if they wont accept it that when it goes to court i will be dealt with leniently.

also, luckily i did ask for receipt to show i had attempted to pay on time - they werent forthcoming with one.

Try & contact the garda that stopped you and explain it to him (be very nice) ask him is there anything you can do. - He just might say he'll "look after it" as trhe garda in my case told me I should have contacted him beforehand.

Presuming its was a traffic cop - they'll be based in the various traffic divisions (Naas, Athy, thurles etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

1) Speeding yeah... thats you
    2) Reading the form saying you should bring driving license but leaving it at home... totally the clerk in the post office...

3) Leaving it to the last possible day to pay, let's blame boards.ie ???

fair enough but surely i should be able to pay with the form that has a unique reference number on it that they could cross check with my license (taken at scene) before awarding the points to a specific license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If today is the last day to pay it, why don't you just pay it today? Stop looking for someone else to blame. It's your fault for waiting until the last possible moment, and your fault for not bringing your licence. Pay it in the way you were requested to pay it, and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did you have ANY form of ID with you at the time?

• Advertisement

I cant pay it today because I'm in work and license is at home.

I didnt have any form of ID on me but had a bankcard with my name on it.

I didnt have any form of ID on me but had a bankcard with my name on it.

try another post office??

Print this off - from Garda Siochana website -

If you have the licence details on the form, then that should be acceptable. You run the risk of higher points / fine if those details are incorrect, not the post office.

Paying at a Post Office

You can pay by Cheque, Postal Order, Bank Draft, Cash or Laser card at any Post Office. It is advised that you have your driving licence with you when paying. When paying at a Post Office, Cheques, Postal Orders, and Bank Drafts should be made payable to "An Post".

Copy of Driving Licence

It is strongly recommended that you provide a photocopy of your driving licence in order to assist in payment processing. In order to validate Driving Licence numbers entered on Fixed Charge Notices, An Garda Síochána uses data provided by the Department of Transport. This is to avoid delays where licence details are unclear or a conflict exists between the data provided on the Fixed Charge Notice and the Department of Transport data. In order to assist in the validation process, in the case of Non-Irish Driving Licences, a photocopy of the licence must be provided in order for the payment to be processed.

Declaration section Driving licence number

The number required is the number in black print on the first page of the licence, to the left of the photograph. The number in red print is not a driving licence number.

Name

The declaration section requires the driver to fill in their full name, as per his or her Driving Licence, in the space provided. For example, if the name on the notice is John Smith, and the Driver’s Licence gives the name as John Patrick Smith, the name John Patrick Smith must be entered in the Declaration Section. If this is filled in incorrectly, payment will not be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What's it doing there? You are supposed to have it with you when you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

3) Leaving it to the last possible day to pay, let's blame boards.ie ???

[joke] Its the bankers fault [/joke]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kahless wrote: »
    What's it doing there? You are supposed to have it with you when you drive.

This seemed strange to me as well, license shouldn't be at home at all

i got a lift - no car with me - license in car

Just to update you on this - called the Fixed Charge Penalty Office and was informed over the phone that the Post Office was wrong to refuse payment - I am to write a letter to the Fixed Charge Penalty Office to explain the cicumstances...

Just to update you on this - called the Fixed Charge Penalty Office and was informed over the phone that the Post Office was wrong to refuse payment - I am to write a letter to the Fixed Charge Penalty Office to explain the cicumstances...

Good stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement