Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband couldn't be installed

• 17-09-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hey I just went through the process of ordering UPC broadband and the installer finally came out today and couldn't install it (yeah your address can get it! Oh wait no you can't :rolleyes:, feels like the first time I got ISDN and DSL).

What he said and I wish now I had asked him a bit more detail, was this:

There's no wire going to your house.
    >What wire?
    From the manhole on the road there's no wire going to your house.
    >Are all the houses on this road like that?
    No just this one. (Problem? :pac:)

Anybody know what this really means, or I suppose more importantly will I ever get an internet connection and will it take months?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ehhhm, can you pull a wire through yourself if upc gave you 10m of the right sort of cable ?? The installers are not the network builders, they simply connect existing cable. A different group installs networks ...and they may be in your area.

But you should work out whether there is a duct and whether you can get a cable through it first, if not there may be digging and drilling involved. Cable can be blown in with air by the way, I would blow a string thru first myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    ehhhm, can you pull a wire through yourself if upc gave you 10m of the right sort of cable ?? The installers are not the network builders, they simply connect existing cable. A different group installs networks ...and they may be in your area.

But you should work out whether there is a duct and whether you can get a cable through it first, if not there may be digging and drilling involved. Cable can be blown in with air by the way, I would blow a string thru first myself.

http://www.cablinginstall.com/index/display/article-display/152663/articles/cabling-installation-maintenance/volume-10/issue-9/contents/design/easing-network-upgrading-with-air-blown-fiber.html

are upc or anybody doing this in ireland?

co ax to the premises ( 800mhz or 1ghz rated cable) and fibre to the estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Hey thanks for the replies, I'm wondering is this something they normally resolve quickly? Or could it be weeks/months?

I'm not blaming the installer, I'm just getting bad memories of all the nonsense Eircom put me through years ago getting ISDN and getting ADSL.

That was different because an ISDN line could not pass a line test back then, in this case there is NO CABLE !!

I take it you know how to lift a manhole cover :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement