Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI hire purchase query

Options
  • 17-09-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭

I have a HP agreement with BOI. It's a fixed interest one over 3 years

I'm trying to figure out the consequence of asking to extend it to 4 years. I have been on to them but need to write to them requesting it with a plan etc.
    Thats all fine.

For my own calculation I am trying to figure out how the interest is calculated.
    I have the total interest and obvious the initial amount and the repayments and the time period.

Is the interest calculated monthly on the reducing balance? Or is it simply the initial figure x % divided by the number of payment periods.

What I am trying to figure out is if I do extend it to 4 years what the interest impact will be (ex of any fees etc)

So is it
    Initial amount + monthly interest* - monthly repayment = monthly closing bal

* = initial amount x yearly % / 12 months
    yearly % = self calculated figure to make interest payable = total interest (given figure)

:o:o:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Not that simple. What's your interest rate, and how long are you into the 3 years, and ill do the calc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

3DataModem wrote: »
    Not that simple. What's your interest rate, and how long are you into the 3 years, and ill do the calc.

See thats the prob. I don't know the interest rate. I know total interest due and initial amount, nowhere on the contract is there an interest % given.

Anyway I sent of the letter with what I thought was a reasonable calculation of interest due if it was extended plus another 5% for leeway so I guess this whole thread is kinda pointless now that I've done it except for my own interest :o

Initial: 22,000
    Total interest 2633
    Payments 36
    paid 8 months so far.

Advertisement