Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 inch bore into concrete driveway

• 17-09-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Lads,
    I need to drill a 4 diameter inch hole into my concrete driveway to set 6 solar power garden lights. Only needs to be about 3 - 4 inches deep.

What would I need to do that and would a standard drill do it?

Thanks,

TUNNER

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you would need a core drill.

its essentially a hole borer with a diamond teeth. I would imagine it would be more cost effective to rent it rather than trying to buy one.

there is many business that could do it . might be worth giving them a call.

hole masters, dara core, etc etc.

i would imagine most good hire shops would do them though. so its a matter of giving them a call.

( word of advice though. if you do end up renting. make sure you have a water spray handy. to 1) keep the dust down 2) (most importanatly to keep the borer cool. you warp the bit and you will have to pay for it)

slow and steady will be the key too. take it nice and handing so you get a horizontal hole. you your lights going into the ground flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sam Hire do a 4" diamond core drill with a high speed drill to go with it. No need for hammer action and went through both sides of a 6" cavity wall in about 15 minutes

Sam Hire do a 4" diamond core drill with a high speed drill to go with it. No need for hammer action and went through both sides of a 6" cavity wall in about 15 minutes

definately dont need hammer action. in fact that will damage the bit.

but cavity blocks will not be as dense as poured concrete so it will take a bit longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

If renting get very clear instructions as to how to use the tool: cooling, speed, pressure etc, :in the days of tct tipped tools one of the scams was to give you a dirty bit with some of the teeth stuck in with super glue and then when they fell out on ur hire: "Sorry Bud, ur fault, 12 quid a tooth"

With diamond bits they will measure the wear and charge for it so be crystal clear on what wear is there before hand.

So proceed with care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You will need a core drill with water cooling if there is steel in the concrete. Its an expensive item to hire and i doubt you will get it cheaper than 80 euro, of only for the one hole.

Wet core
    M-4Rig.jpg

If there is no steel in the concrete and its only 4 inches deep you can use a dry core bit, which will work with a drill that has SDS max holders, to rent both you will get it for about 40 quid

Dry core

Core_Bits_pic.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Ok so now you know how to drill it show us the solar lights.........are they fit for traffic?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Martron wrote: »
    definately dont need hammer action. in fact that will damage the bit.

but cavity blocks will not be as dense as poured concrete so it will take a bit longer.

4 " dry core bits can be used with hammer. I decent core bit will not get damaged. ;)

gsxr1 wrote: »
    4 " dry core bits can be used with hammer. I decent core bit will not get damaged. ;)

I've seen two different types. The ones pictured above were generally hired out with a rotary kango on hammer action, and there are slimmer diamond tipped blades similar to the way a diamond blade is done and is used for high speed with no hammer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I've seen two different types. The ones pictured above were generally hired out with a rotary kango on hammer action, and there are slimmer diamond tipped blades similar to the way a diamond blade is done and is used for high speed with no hammer

the ones above are carbide tipped and are used with a hilti type kango with hammer. Slow speed as the sds max shanks are not commonly used in high speed rotation.

unfortunately i have done this toooo many times. tis not a very pleasant job

I decent core bit will not get damaged. ;)

well decent being the word ha ha.

• Advertisement

the ones above are carbide tipped and are used with a hilti type kango with hammer. Slow speed as the sds max shanks are not commonly used in high speed rotation.

unfortunately i have done this toooo many times. tis not a very pleasant job

I know what you mean. I've used both, and I have to say the high speed is a bit less of a pig of a job

Advertisement