Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge tells man to climb Croagh Patrick as punishment for insulting Garda

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

No need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I thought this was pretty funny when I read it!

Would love to be a fly on the wall when Joseph goes back the pub with tales of his day in court!

http://www.highlandradio.com/2010/09/17/judge-tells-man-to-climb-croagh-patrick-as-punishment-for-insulting-garda/
    I thought that was brilliant.

But how do they determine if he has carried out his sentence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

muffler wrote: »
    I thought that was brilliant.

But how do they determine if he has carried out his sentence?

get him to do it on a sunday, there is an 80 year old lad that has done it every week for god knows how many years after mass. get him to say a codeword at the top or something.

and yes i know some people could say that if an 80 year old can do it it'll be problem for him, but i done it last year with the GF and f*ck me was i destroyed after it. Nicest pint of guinness ever at the bottom though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Absolutely brilliant!!

Just wondering where I can find a Greek garda that I could insult :P

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

what happens if he's a non believer, or even a Protestant?
    I can't believe this would stand up in the Supreme Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Man climbs up mountain, man falls down mountain, man sues Judge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

bit of a steep sentence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Yeah those Judges have a mountain of work in front of them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What if the poor guy isn't really fit and "crokes" it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I think he will experience a real decline in his circumstances after serving this sentence.... (wah wah wah...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Durnish wrote: »
    what happens if he's a non believer, or even a Protestant?
    I can't believe this would stand up in the Supreme Court.

We were chatting about this in College,its a little unfair getting a conviction for stupid carry on involving drink when it is your first offence,I mean you wouldnt be able to go to the States and it can affect job prospects.

If he fails to do the climb,he has to come back to court and face a conviction. If he does the climb the Judge will say fair play and nothing else will be done.

God Forbid he turns up in front of the judge for another offence involving drink though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Thank god the judge or Garda wasn't from Nepal !!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Either way the road in front of this guy will be pretty rocky!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

We were chatting about this in College,its a little unfair getting a conviction for stupid carry on involving drink when it is your first offence,I mean you wouldnt be able to go to the States and it can affect job prospects.

i think its a little more than stupid carry on, i doubt he would have been in court if he had sworn at the guard and walked off

from the report
    t Milford District Court in Letterkenny this week Judge Séamus Hughes told 38-year-old Joseph McElwee he was to do the four stations of the famous Mayo pilgrimage as a mark of respect for his fellow Irish people, especially those in the line of duty.

Garda Nicholas Freyne told the court that while they were on duty in Rathmullan, they saw a large crowd gathered outside a public house and three individuals approached them and started verbally abusing them.

The court heard that the defendant told Garda Freyne to “f - off home to Mayo” continuing his abuse for 10 minutes according to the garda’s evidence.

sounds like he got off light to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

http://www.highlandradio.com/2010/11/08/man-ordered-to-climb-croagh-patrick-raises-almost-e3000/

"A man who was ordered to climb Croagh Patrick after telling a Garda to f*** off back to Mayo has raised almost €3,000 for charity after completing the hike with 13 friends.

Joseph McElwee was ordered to climb the mountain in Co Mayo by Judge Seamus Hughes after being found guilty of threatening and abusing Gardai while drunk in Rathmullan on March 28th last.

In March, Joseph Mc Elwee subjected Garda Nicholas Freyne to a tirade of abuse, prompting Judge Seamus Hughes to recommend he climb Croagh Patrick to get a better picture of Mayo and its people.

Today, 38 year old McElwee, who is unemployed, returned to court and produced pictures of himself, his wife and 12 other friends climbing the mountain.

He told Judge McElwee he had regretted what he had done, and had managed to raise a total of €2,900 for charity during the climb.
    Judge Hughes asked McElwee if he had found climbing the ‘reek’ therapeutic and McElwee agreed he had.

Judge Hughes asked him if he had any complaint about donating the money raised to a charity from both Donegal and Mayo and was told he had not.

Judge Hughes ordered that the cash be split, with half going to the Donegal Hospice and the rest to the Adult Mental Health Services at Mayo General Hospital."

Advertisement