Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nz Campervan advise

Options
  • 17-09-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im headin to NZ in 2 wks and have been thinking more and more abt hiring a campervan and goin from Auckland to Christchurch that way. Our original plan was to take one of the magic buses.

My question is has anyone done this and how did they get on?? What are costs like, as we're on a bit of a budget we dont kno can we afford it..

Thanks, Em.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

I rented a campervan in NZ 2 years ago for 4 weeks. It works out fairly cheap but i spent 3 weeks in the south island and only a week in the north. I went to campsites every 2 or 3 days which kept the costs down. Rental on the vans can be expensive, add fuel costs and cost of camp sites and it is not that cheap. Its a brilliant way to see the country but maybe not best way of getting from A to C.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

like masalbeagdubh, i did it 3 years ago, not cheap at all but a Fantastic way to see the country! spent 4 weeks touring the south island and 2 in the north island. you need to call to a campsite prob every 2 to 3 nights to get 2nd battery charged and prob once a week to empty the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Have look here. We did it last summer.

http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Wanderly-Wagon/Trips/3298

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Would the weather suit a campervan? It was pretty cold and rainy when I was over there about 4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Its will be coming into the summer months. Late spring. I did it in the middle of winter and the sun shone most days. We were told we were lucky though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Spent three weeks going north to south in a campervan in winter and between ski resorts, so the weather isn't a problem. I stayed on powered sites every night though which meant I could have the fan heater running so I didn't freeze. The numbers for the cost of the rental seems expensive, but I reckon it was only about the same as if I'd got a car and stayed in b&b's or similar everywhere instead.

Advertisement