Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is mervue?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have a fitness thing in mervue next friday, but i have no idea where mervue is :confused:, any help would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

The arrow there isn't really pointing to Mervue. Sorry for being pedantic, but it points to a part of Castlegar! Mervue is in the picture alright. Just not where the arrow is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

on this, does anyone know where to get a map of where the city's internal admin boundaries begin and end? the city's website's Map Zone (http://gis.galwaycity.ie/proweb_mapviewer/) mapping is alright but only has the city's outer boundary. for blow-ins it can get kinda confusing where one ends and an adjacent area begins.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Why is Mervue also called $hitView?
    Coz it looks at Renmore.

That was a bad joke from the 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

darrenh wrote: »
    The arrow there isn't really pointing to Mervue. Sorry for being pedantic, but it points to a part of Castlegar! Mervue is in the picture alright. Just not where the arrow is.

The whole east side of Galway city is in the picture. Not very specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

jkforde wrote: »
    on this, does anyone know where to get a map of where the city's internal admin boundaries begin and end? the city's website's Map Zone (http://gis.galwaycity.ie/proweb_mapviewer/) mapping is alright but only has the city's outer boundary. for blow-ins it can get kinda confusing where one ends and an adjacent area begins.

If you enlarge that map by one 'click' the area boundaries are shown in blue, as well as the 18 names of the areas which are commonly referred to when describing Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

This site also has a clickable map for the areas in Galway city. You can orientate yourself by moving the map around until a known landmark or area comes into view.

http://www.myhome.ie/galway/galway-city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

If you enlarge that map by one 'click' the area boundaries are shown in blue, as well as the 18 names of the areas which are commonly referred to when describing Galway.

this is pretty good... http://is.gd/ffxid (site only works in Internet Explorer) - doesn't look like Mervue is a townland but was an estate in Ballybaan Beg townland.... in 1842 anyhow! screenshot....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

O.P. if you haven't figured it out yet where in Mervue are you going to, folk might know of the place or where it's near. There's "old" Mervue and "New" Mervue too! :):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There's "old" Mervue and "New" Mervue too! :):pac:

Do not get these mixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    The whole east side of Galway city is in the picture. Not very specific.

If you look at the picture there is an arrow pointing out Mervue that is not Mervue. That was my point.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I think a lot of Renmore on occasion is referred to as Mervue too, quite confusing! And a few bits of Ballybane lmao! They could all do with being re-named. :)

EDIT: Don't even get me started on Ballybane Industrial Estate and Ballybrit Industrial Estate. Upr Lwr whatever ya want to call them, still impossible to find them! I'm convinced they don't exist. I reckon there's a load of Factories lurking around that direction of Galway somewhere, totally intent on "skiving off" because no-one knows where the f**k they are lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

I found it guys, after getting lost a few times, :p, but its all good,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't even get me started on Ballybane Industrial Estate and Ballybrit Industrial Estate. Upr Lwr whatever ya want to call them, still impossible to find them! I'm convinced they don't exist. I reckon there's a load of Factories lurking around that direction of Galway somewhere, totally intent on "skiving off" because no-one knows where the f**k they are lol!!

;-)

Map of industrial estates and major employers in the Galway metropolitan area

I had a lot of fun figuring out exactly where all these were. Who was the brain who put Galway Technology Park and Galway Business Park on totally different sides of town???

I think, but am not 100%, that Ballybrit Industrial Estate. Upr is just another name for Oldenway Industrial Estate.

Had to laugh at the printed map in this year's Culture Night brochure too. One of the culture sites is a print-maker's in Ballybane Enterprise Centre. But somehow the address got mixed up, and the printed book says Ballybane Industrial Estate in both the listing and the map label. I guess it's just not the sort of neighbourhood that arty types hang out in. (In case anyone's looking, the actual location in the printed booket, just off Castlepark, is correct, it's just the name that's wrong).

Advertisement