Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sam Allardyce delusional?

• 17-09-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

Surely this is a windup??:eek:
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6382684,00.html
    Sam Allardyce has claimed neither he nor Mark Hughes were given enough time at bigger clubs - and insisted he would win the title every year if he were manager of Real Madrid or Manchester United.

Allardyce and Hughes cross swords on Saturday as managers of mid-ranking clubs, Blackburn and Fulham respectively, with the Rovers boss denying that both men have found their true level.

Hughes was sacked by Manchester City last season while Allardyce's spell in charge of Newcastle lasted less than half a campaign.

Allardyce insisted however: "I'm not suited to Bolton or Blackburn, I would be more suited to Inter Milan or Real Madrid.

"It wouldn't be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the double or the league every time.

"Give me Manchester United or Chelsea and I would do the same, it wouldn't be a problem.

"It's not where I'm suited to, it's just where I've been for most of the time.

"It's not a problem to take me into the higher reaches of the Champions League or Premier League and would make my job a lot easier in winning it."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i hope that's fabricated.

but to be fair, he's always had an unhealthily high opinion of himself.

and i'm pretty sure he's still hoping, praying, pleading, dreaming, begging, to his best mate Fergie that he'll pick him as Utd manager when he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Humour forum surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Q alot of liverpool fans coming on here slagging him off,just as he is a mate of fergies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have time for big sam, but those quotes are bizarre.

He is basically saying he is a better manager than Fergie, Mourinho, Ancelotti etc...

Maybe if he was given time, at a club with good resources, he would do well with them (the amount of attention to detail and prep work done would be easier done at a bigger club with more staff) but to imply that he is better than the top managers around, bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Q alot of liverpool fans coming on here slagging him off,just as he is a mate of fergies...
    I'd say they would be slagging him off because of his massive ego and constant self praise not because of a possible friendship with Alex ferguson. I'm not sure there's a more unpleasant person in English football than Fat Sam.

• Advertisement

no, not just.

he also helped ignite that whole 'it's done' argument a couple of seasons ago when the two of them claimed Rafa was being disrespectful.

Liverpool fans don't like him, true, but that's also not the only reason to slag him off here.

i'd never claim he's not a good manager, but his opinion of himself is severely outside of reality, which is what i personally ridicule him for most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think his twitter account gives a pretty decent view into his personality.

Some good insights into the professional game.

http://twitter.com/TheBig_Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think his twitter account gives a pretty decent view into his personality.

Some good insights into the professional game.

http://twitter.com/TheBig_Sam

Darren Fletcher's one is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yea, thats the only reason anyone would possibly slag him :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

whats that one?

big sams is a fake anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

"It wouldn't be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the double or the league every time."

I hope that quote is fabricated. He can't even get a job in a top half Premiership side but he thinks he'd with the double year in year out with top European teams?

Megalomaniac doesn't even come close to describing him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

Whats the twitter name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I'd say they would be slagging him off because of his massive ego and constant self praise not because of a possible friendship with Alex ferguson. I'm not sure there's a more unpleasant person in English football than Fat Sam.

ah now, I no fan of Sam but come on..........

warnockDM1205_468x356.jpg

Phil+Brown_1179_19140943_0_0_7016022_300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm not sure there's a more unpleasant person in English football than Fat Sam.

redknapp-laugh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Decent manager, but thinks hes better then what he is, more power to him if he does get the Utd job though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He really should have kept those thoughts to himself; or maybe he could have shared them with his wife - although her likely reaction would have been to laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

He can't be that delusional surely? those quotes have to be a bit tongue in cheek? He's gone barmy if this is true.

cant wait for EagleEyes arrival here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He was taking the mick out of the journalist for asking a dumb question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Xavi6 wrote: »
    redknapp-laugh.jpg

Whats wrong with Harry Redknapp? He doesnt seem like an unpleasant man to me. (Dont bring up the 'wheeler dealer' interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

David Blunkett could have won the league in the 90s if he had Man Utd's cash, same with Chelsea in the 00s.

So, I think he could have come top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Whats wrong with Harry Redknapp? He doesnt seem like an unpleasant man to me. (Dont bring up the 'wheeler dealer' interview.
    So you're asking him to prove it but telling him not to bring up the most recent incident? :rolleyes:

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    So you're asking him to prove it but telling him not to bring up the most recent incident? :rolleyes:

cant blame the man for gettin angry at a typical stereotype remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

cant blame the man for gettin angry at a typical stereotype remark.

Or could it just be that the truth hurts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Whats wrong with Harry Redknapp?

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Do you really see nothing wrong with him?

Anyway, great Allardyce piece here (too long to copy), though it's nearly a year old.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2009/11/mouth-almighty.html

Xavi6 wrote: »
    NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Do you really see nothing wrong with him?

His Twitch?!:p

No, I think he comes across as a decent bloke. Thats my opinion tho. Why do you think hes unpleasant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

no cos we wouldnt be slagging him off because what he said was absolutely retarded... its cos hes a mate of fergies. we aren't lowest common denominator fans ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

walter smith is a mate of fergies too though i don't see anyone slagging him off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I hate alderdyce, its his type of agricultural football and that style of management thats responcible for the poor technical quality of some english footballers. You find very few teams who play like his teams do in spain (some throw 11 behind the ball but when they get the ball they keep it on the ground and try to play).

Plus he talks a load of sh!te like all the english managers, redknapp, hodgson, pulis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

rossie1977 wrote: »
    walter smith is a mate of fergies too though i don't see anyone slagging him off ;)

I hate that Walter Smith guy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

He's come a long way since managing Limerick FC has Big Sam. ;)

Journo: "In a way do you feel that he is more suited to Fulham?"

Big Sam: "No, not at all, just as I'm not suited to Blackburn or Bolton, I'd be more suited to Inter Milan or Real Madrid"
    Everbody laughs and Sam continues jovially
    "It wouldn't be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the double or the league every time...............................
    and the rest of what he said.

He was asked a ridiculous question about Mark Hughes in the context about if he was more suited to managing Fulham than a bigger club like Man City. I'm very surprised the press ran with it but then again the gutter press tabloids love to print half truths and lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He's come a long way since managing Limerick FC has Big Sam. ;)

At least he won something as a manager, well player/manager, with Limerick FC. :D

Maybe LOI was his level.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Everbody laughs and Sam continues jovially

and the rest of what he said.

He was asked a ridiculous question about Mark Hughes in the context about if he was more suited to managing Fulham than a bigger club like Man City. I'm very surprised the press ran with it but then again the gutter press tabloids love to print half truths and lies.

i still don't get it?

the question he was asked wasn't at all ridiculous? only his answer.

everyone is aware of just how high an opinion he has of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I don't much like Allardyce - but that's poor form from the papers if that's how it came about. The BBC even have the story on their site, though in truth their football coverage has been tabloid style for a while now.

Mr. Alan, even if Allardyce got the wrong end of the stick with the question (and in fairness, I think it's a very unfair position for the journo to put him in), they shouldn't be running the story the way they are if it was clearly in jest.

I'm actually surprised mainly because I thought the English media were quite enamoured with Big Sam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

As much as this latest offering is a joke, i still don't like seeing him in charge of Blackburn,

Even with it being a joke, there are some half truths in there, it is obvious he thinks he is a far better manager than he is, and even if he knows himself he is not Real Madrid material, he still thinks he is above Blackburn.

He isn't really being fair to his current employers with his ramblings these days, what with saying he is quitting club football in 3 years.......with his eye on the England job,

As much as I'd like him to get it if it meant taking him away from Blackburn, i think Blackburn will be back in the Champions league before Sam calls up Kevin Davies to the England team.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i still don't get it?

the question he was asked wasn't at all ridiculous? only his answer.

everyone is aware of just how high an opinion he has of himself.
    What? Asking him about what Mark Hughes station in football management is? You don't think thats a ridiculous question to ask? Would Alex Ferguson answer that question? Roy Hodgson? Arsene Wenger?

No they would not, so Sam just joked about it but the ridic reporter took the joke as an insult or something and decided to make it look like Big Sam was serious.

As much as this latest offering is a joke, i still don't like seeing him in charge of Blackburn,

Even with it being a joke, there are some half truths in there, it is obvious he thinks he is a far better manager than he is, and even if he knows himself he is not Real Madrid material, he still thinks he is above Blackburn.

He isn't really being fair to his current employers with his ramblings these days, what with saying he is quitting club football in 3 years.......with his eye on the England job,

As much as I'd like him to get it if it meant taking him away from Blackburn, i think Blackburn will be back in the Champions league before Sam calls up Kevin Davies to the England team.
    Did somebody hack this account?

I really hope its not you, I'm extremely disappointed if it is. This is Sam Allardyce who took a club from the brink of relegation to 10th place in the space of 17 months. A man that has brought in a lot of really undervalued players like N'Zonzi, Diouf and Givet and a young striker for a price that could well be a bargain. A man that has given the young players their chance to shine. I'm just stunned by this if it is actually you.

i can't stand Allardyce.

but he and Blackburn have been a perfect fit, and he's been brilliant for them.

i don't know how one can argue otherwise.

No they would not, so Sam just joked about it but the ridic reporter took the joke as an insult or something and decided to make it look like Big Sam was serious.

Was he joking around when he said that if he were a foreign manager he'd have gotten the England job?

Or when he said he said Wenger, Mourinho & Benitez made excuses after they had their backsides smacked by his teams (which never actually happened)?

Or when he moaned about Roy Hodgson being on a shortlist to possibly replace Capello?

the man refers to himself as Big Sam for crying out loud.

for such an average manager his ego is out of control.

the fact that EVERY news organisation is reporting the comments as they are tells me all I need to know.

• Advertisement

Was he joking around when he said that if he were a foreign manager he'd have gotten the England job?

Or when he said he said Wenger, Mourinho & Benitez made excuses after they had their backsides smacked by his teams (which never actually happened)?

Or when he moaned about Roy Hodgson being on a shortlist to possibly replace Capello?

the man refers to himself as Big Sam for crying out loud.

for such an average manager his ego is out of control.

the fact that EVERY news organisation is reporting the comments as they are tells me all I need to know.
    I was referring to the article in the op.

You take what you want from it but I gave you the facts. Of course I am not surprised you want to have an all out argument/rant because of the rafa thing last year.

Anyways I've shown what happened which is why I posted in here and I'm done with this thread now before it turns into a mess.

you have proven nothing?

he was asked did he think Hughes was more suited to a club the size of Fulham-something you seem to think is a daft question, which it clearly isn't. he responded no & then proceeded to talk about how brilliant a manager Big Sam is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

SlickRic wrote: »
    i can't stand Allardyce.

but he and Blackburn have been a perfect fit, and he's been brilliant for them.

i don't know how one can argue otherwise.

Don't think anyone is arguing that he's not suited to Blackburn. Quite the opposite in fact.

He's always had a huge ego tbf.

Not a lover of foreigner's too, there's a word for that I think.

Blackburn is his level, he's an ok manager but at a top club he'd fail miserably.

I'd be happy to see him take the reigns at old trafford though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

2010-09-17.jpg

just to clarify, Big Sam was on BBC earlier this morning & when asked about this, he re-iterated his stance that he was yet to find his level & would be successful at top clubs, so its quite clear that he is delusional & not "joking" like we were told here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

just to clarify, Big Sam was on BBC earlier this morning & when asked about this, he re-iterated his stance that he was yet to find his level & would be successful at top clubs, so its quite clear that he is delusional & not "joking" like we were told here.

I would argue that Big Sam has very much found his level at Blackburn. Nothing wrong with that of course, but his talk of managing at the highest level is severely deluded.

he is severerly deluded.

its not news to anyone.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I would argue that Big Sam has very much found his level at Blackburn. Nothing wrong with that of course, but his talk of managing at the highest level is severely deluded.
    I'm sure you know him quite well and with your expertise in Premier League club management at the highest level we should all bow down to the opinion you have formed about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm sure you know him quite well and with your expertise in Premier League club management at the highest level we should all bow down to the opinion you have formed about him.

Your new gimmick amuses me. Imagine how quiet this forum would be if only people with expertise in PL management were allowed discuss the game. How well do you know him?

• Advertisement
Advertisement