Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting job ad ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm curious to know who it actually is. I have worked as a PA for pretty much all of the disability service providers in Galway over the past few years, and even the folks themselves using PA's had no idea who this person was, and often PA's would get more hours based on recommednations so it was common a lot of wheelchair users/walking aide users got to know each other.

AFAIK, it was a cash in hand job, no?? Even still, who is gonna pay the fees for manual handling/first aid/ basic medication skills etc courses, especially when the tunrover is high?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't know if the job is creepy but it's coming across as such:

- no experience is preferred (I don't know if the ads still state this but they used to)
    - they want a girl, and 23 is too old.
    - they can't seem to fill the position or keep it filled (generally not a sign of good/normal working conditions)

It just sounds like they're looking for someone vulnerable, to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Pulled this off the Advertiser archive, you get the gist:
    PART TIME job (hours 6pm-9pm), 3-4 evenings per week. Suitable for young fun person, particularly college students, personal assistant for disabled person. Having no experience whatsoever is preferred! Duties: light housework & social outings. This job is more of a friendship (no personal care required). Applicants must reside in city. Exceptional pay! Closing date: 27/08/08 (text only please!!!) your name, age, and location to 085 ......

ah, now they're specifying to send in your age. They never used to - which I guess is why I got the first text back (until they found out how ancient I was :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Xiney wrote: »
    I don't know if the job is creepy but it's coming across as such:

- no experience is preferred (I don't know if the ads still state this but they used to)
    - they want a girl, and 23 is too old.
    - they can't seem to fill the position or keep it filled (generally not a sign of good/normal working conditions)

It just sounds like they're looking for someone vulnerable, to me.
    We don't know that. Perhaps they just need a support person for a 17 year old disabled girl? Some sort of au pair?

Anyway, discussing and commenting on ads for jobs we know nothing about may actually cause problem for the people placing the ads.
    I'm not comfortable with that so lock.

• Advertisement

like I said, it's not about what the job actually IS, it comes across as creepy regardless.

and actually, why isn't discussing an ad that's been in the paper for nigh on four years not on, exactly? It's a local paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Time span isn't an issue here. It's the naming ads and pointing the finger saying "creepy" about what may well be perfectly fine.
    I'm the one who has to mop up when/if offended parties approach boards because posters have pointed them out somehow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement