Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 mobile - merits/disadvantages

Options
  • 17-09-2010 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help me?!

I am currently O2, I am thinking about signing up for the 3 mobile – Ultimate Flex-max package.
    It appears to be such good value....it almost seems too good to be true!?
    I am wondering what is the catch?

Is anyone on the 3 network, would you recommend it?
    What is the coverage like?
    Any drawbacks?

I’d be would really appreciate if someone get back to me, before I sign up.

Thanks
    Nicky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Pros:

Cheap
    Really good 3G coverage
    Fantastic 3 like home if you travel to the north or UK.

cons:
    customer service is weak. Fortunately you don't have to call often.
    Always behind in releasing new phones.

I'm with Three but out of contract and won't move because the other networks are too expensive. I went from €120 monthly Meteor bill down to €40 on Three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Very good 3G coverage (best in my opinion)
    2G data Roaming
    Good packages
    Can use half of your units for UK calls
    Good choice of phones
    Good discount on phones
    Customisable plans

Customer Service is a little weak but I have my 3 contact in Dublin so happy as Larry now :D

I should have moved from O2 years ago! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

angel01 wrote: »
    2G data Roaming
    Good packages
    Good choice of phones
    Good discount on phones
    Customisable plans

Customer Service is a little weak but I have my 3 contact in Dublin so happy as Larry now :D

+ 1 for the above comment,
    Im on the exact plan your thinking of moving to, coverage = not an issue (for metc anyways)
    Monthly bills have gone from 2-300 a month usually averaged 240 or so with o2 - 98 euro with 3!

don't get shafted any longer mate, get to a 3 store post haste!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

same as above, live in a rural area 3s signal is very good, ported from 02 was paying over 100 now down to 35 no comparision there, wud def recommend it , regards customer care it can be frustrating but for a saving for me of roughly 70 per month i can live with , you also get a free add on,

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

My family live in the UK so being able to use half my minutes calling them saves cash and is much more convenient than a mobile VoIP setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

did I hear incorrectly or can you use your data allowance for tethering also on three? No need to buy a specific tethering package like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

rymus wrote: »
    did I hear incorrectly or can you use your data allowance for tethering also on three? No need to buy a specific tethering package like?

I went in to ask about the deal on iphone 4 and was told that i would have to pay 150e deposit....I said go fock yourselfs:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah I got hit with that. Most likely cos I'm one of those few hundred thousand people in Ireland that rent instead of paying a mortgage. At least it'll offset some of the bills in a few months time :D

According to the rather smart-assed guy I dealt with in the shop, *everyone* that goes in there to buy an iphone gets hit with the 150 euro deposit. I doubt it.

I own a house and have more than a few bucks in the bank, they said some bolloix about credit rating...my hole

angel01 wrote: »
    2G data Roaming
    Good packages
    Good choice of phones
    Good discount on phones
    Customisable plans

angel01 did you pay a deposit...150e or similar

• Advertisement

Doom wrote: »
    angel01 did you pay a deposit...150e or similar

No I didn't, I didn't buy an iphone, I bought a galaxy S and didn't pay any deposit, happy as Larry here :D:D

Doom wrote: »
    I own a house and have more than a few bucks in the bank, they said some bolloix about credit rating...my hole

Gi us a sub till dole day bud?
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

iPhones for muppets, Seriously who buys a phone that needs a bumper to work. :rolleyes:

galaxys_helload_iphone.jpg

It's got reception and usually comes without a deposit, no bumper required ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Deposits are common on all the networks for first time iPhone applications. The store staff in any of the network stores will not know or be able to find out why it was requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

I love having units instead of a set amounts of minutes and calls. With o2 I always ended up over texts and under calls, just signed up for another 18 months.

I love having units instead of a set amounts of minutes and calls. With o2 I always ended up over texts and under calls, just signed up for another 18 months.

I was exactly the same, hardly used the texts and needed more calls, now I can control exactly what I spend the units on. Heaven. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

On three Classic Flex here myself, came over from O2 on Advance 150, much much happier here. 3G is much faster than it was on O2, who have totally abandoned their current customers.

I got out of O2 as they could not provide me with proper coverage.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 35 langer123

Hey Guys

I recently got the 18 month €40 flexi plan from three, I got the samsung galaxy s.

I only have it 4 days but am experiencing some issues:
    - Texts seem to fail occasionally (Maybe 2/3 times a day), resending works. I very rarely had this issue with Meteor pay as you go.
    - Internet seem to be up and down a little, web page connection problems sometimes.
    - The Free Sky Sports package they include seems to be erratic, watched the Man Utd V Liverpool game today and no problems. Chelsea v Blackpool was unwatchable, jumping and fuzzy picture.

I live in Milltown.

I'm hoping its a temporary issue while they are creating my account.

Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

langer123 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I recently got the 18 month €40 flexi plan from three, I got the samsung galaxy s.

- Texts seem to fail occasionally (Maybe 2/3 times a day), resending works. I very rarely had this issue with Meteor pay as you go.
    - Internet seem to be up and down a little, web page connection problems sometimes.
    - The Free Sky Sports package they include seems to be erratic, watched the Man Utd V Liverpool game today and no problems. Chelsea v Blackpool was unwatchable, jumping and fuzzy picture.

I live in Milltown.

I'm hoping its a temporary issue while they are creating my account

How exactly do you access the free sky sports package?
    Haven't looted into that yet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Gucky wrote: »
    How exactly do you access the free sky sports package?
    Haven't looted into that yet

Only use this link to access it through your phone http://www.live.3ireland.g-box.tv

Sky Sports, 1,2 and 3 and Sky News are free for a year.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

@ langer have the same problem with OH Galaxy. Gets error message when sending texts saying message service not available. It's not a network problem as I dont have any problems with my phone (both on 3) resending sends the text. Seems to happen if she texts one person straight after another or if she replies to a text straight after it comes in. Not seen problems with internet although she would rarely use it. Its not a network problem or a problem with your account just the Galaxy from what I can see.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Can't say I've ever had that texting problem myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

langer123 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I recently got the 18 month 40 flexi plan from three, I got the samsung galaxy s.

I live in Milltown.

I'm hoping its a temporary issue while they are creating my account.

Hi I'm with them over 3 years. I had severe issues with sending texts to 02 mobiles for a while cust care sorted it but it still happens once in a while. In my experience if you have an issue hit them hard until its resolved, good service when issues are resolved best value out there.

Advertisement