Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand Books in Waterford??

Options
  • 17-09-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi.

I am looking for a second hand book shop in Waterford and have been told there are none, just wanted somewhere to pick up a few good second hand books every now and then, nothing specific. Does anyone know if any of the charity shops etc have a good selection!

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Theres a small secondhand bookshop in Tramore, called Calico, top of the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

There are 3 charity shops in Waterford that sell second hand books:

Oxfam, George's Street - good selection of proper literature, pop thrillers, kids books etc. I nearly always find at least one book worth buying every time I go in there.
    Charity shop on the Quay opposite the crane - few bookshelves with a decent variety of books.
    Enable Ireland, Michael Street - very small selection any time I've been in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭cazwhatever

looksee wrote: »
    Theres a small secondhand bookshop in Tramore, called Calico, top of the main street.

calico is great for second hand books. So cheap too. Definately worth a look

calico is great for second hand books. So cheap too. Definately worth a look

Well i would not describe it as cheap exactly, but there is a good selection of books, though you do have to root a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

I usually pick up one or two books every couple of weeks in the charity shop by right price tiles (think its st brigits) . I get them for a euro each... Cant complain with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭JShannow

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.. I'll check them out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

From what i remember there was a second hand bookstore on the quay, and also there was another one near the wacky apple. Not sure if there still open but just thought id try help:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

bump! is Gladstones Bookshop still going?

I've got a stack of books, hardback, paperback, fiction, reference that I'd like to sell on for a bit of cash.

Everything from Jeremy Clarkson to the Canterbury Tales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

No, Gladstones is gone AFAIK, someone on here might know if the book place opposite Burger King buys second-hand books though? It's featuring on another current thread as there is a record shop going in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

the WSPCA shop at the "Marian" Summerland square has books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

the soon to be also a record store being discussed in another thread is also Hard Times bookstore, 2 Peter Street, Waterford City. They do seconhand books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Join the library.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Another option is to buy them online. I have bought mine from play.com. They do a great selection 2nd hand with free delivery. Anytime I have looked for certain books I look at the used section to see if it is available. I have bought books for even only a couple of euros. Then I tend to buy 3 or 4 at a time. Also I think there is i system where they buy 2nd hand books too.I know it's not supporting local but its very handy.worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

what type of book do you like, history what i read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There are 3 charity shops in Waterford that sell second hand books:

Oxfam, George's Street - good selection of proper literature, pop thrillers, kids books etc. I nearly always find at least one book worth buying every time I go in there.
    Charity shop on the Quay opposite the crane - few bookshelves with a decent variety of books.
    Enable Ireland, Michael Street - very small selection any time I've been in there.

The open door also sell second hand books. Alson on Michael Street. (How did ya miss that one?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

mike65 wrote: »
    bump! is Gladstones Bookshop still going?

I've got a stack of books, hardback, paperback, fiction, reference that I'd like to sell on for a bit of cash.

Everything from Jeremy Clarkson to the Canterbury Tales.

gladstones is long gone and afaik no-one in town will give money for your books. Ebay would be a far better bet or even Amazon Marketplace, I've bought from private sellers on it in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waterford City Council Library Services

Was just going to suggest Hard Times bookshop, opposite Burger King but see someone's beat me to it! And also, obviously, join the library! €15/€6 conc for the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

new online 2nd hand bookshop
    www.angelbroc.com

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FeatherFelicis

Oxfam is great for books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Theres a guy selling books accross from Dunnes there beside the sports shop, hes always there, i guess this is the one people are saying accross from Horse Burger King

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

thats Hard Times bookstore

There is some sort of a charity shop - claims to be for some sort of church but I think its possibly got a congregation of two - up a little street to the left as you come into town toward Parnell Street, has/had a huge selection of books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

The Charity shop next to Mum n me on the tramore road has lots of books

Advertisement