Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement of Engine - Tax rates?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Looks like I might have to change the engine in a Grand Scenic 1.5 which is drinking oil (but not leaking oil) approx 1.5litre per 65litre diesel. The car is 04 but if I buy a 09 engine will the car tax reflect the new motor tax charging structure based on emmissions or the traditional CC table?

Comments

Nope, it will still be taxed on cc :)
    Is it a diesel ? May be worth getting a 2nd opinion, it could be a something else not the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 amurray32

Yes its a 1.5l Diesel, what are peoples feelings on replacing an engine for excessive consumption of oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Hmmmm, I'd be thinking turbo/seals checkup first,this is usually where oil finds its way out of the engine in modern turbo-d's. Whats the mileage? And are you using the correct viscsity oil? I know those dCi engines are quite sensitive that way. Also worth checking for stuck egr valve....

About 90,000 Km on the clock. Turbo was stripped back and found to be fine. Other than drinking oil it seems fine, even got through an NCT recently so cannot be sending out too much oil out the exhaust. Am using 5 or 10w40 but at the rate its drinking was thing about converting to cooking oil!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

there must be a seal gone somewhere.sump gasket? dipstick seal? oil pump seal? oil pressure sensor seal?oil bung on the wrong threads?id have my money on a leaky oil filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Hmmm...by any chance has anyone accidentally put petrol in the car at any stage in the last year or two. I've only ever seen an engine go like that in a Scenic after being run on a petrol diesel mix for a few miles....fried the rings, and I don't mean the onion rings either! :D

I've had the car two and half years at its only had diesel in my time.

Advertisement