Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin: Going Rates!....Membership & Hourly

• 17-09-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

As above really!
    If you could answer these!

Membership
    Whats the rate for membership in any of the Dublin snooker clubs?
    What facilities does your club have.....tables only, pool, slots etc etc!
    What does your memebership entitle you to? Cheaper hourly rates? Or just to be allowed use the tables!

Hourly
    Whats the average price around Dublin for the hour?

Living in Swords and used to play a wee bit when I was younger, in the old arcade, but kind moved onto pool when I was in my early drinking days...you know...go for a few frames and a few pints before heading out on a Saturday night!

Anyways...want to get back into the snooker properly - as I played there a while back and couldnt get my range on the longer pots! Ideally a fairly serious club that would have good tables / facilities, quiet (not an arcade), members that are serious about the game (maybe a team in a league) etc etc! And if you could have a pint that would be a bonus too!

I know there is the
    Westbury in Malahide - do they have a team?
    ALSAA - membership would include the other facilities...played there a few times way back and they only had 4/5 tables and if it was busy you had to give up the table after half an hour and join the bottom of the queue!
    Sportslink - no idea of their facilities - got a team?

Im by no means a great player but would like to work on my game and progress a bit! ;)
    Cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Only one club for you and that's CrossGuns.Everything you need to know is on the website www.crossgunssnookerclub.com, it's a real old fashioned club and the two guys who run it are snooker fanatics, all seven tables are first class, recovered in Feb, brushed and ironed every day.Only problem is you can't have a pint, although there are several pubs within walking distance.
    Hope this helps, enjoy the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Thanks Zack!

So thats really the only club in Dublin that would match my criteria??
    All the rest arent up to much then?
    The Westbury is OK...tables are alright...but the few times Ive been in it, there has usually been large groups playing pool at the end or even 5/6 around one table!
    A snooker room should be like a library! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

There are of course other clubs, I'm like yourself I like a bit of silence when I'm playing, there are no machines or pool tables in CrossGuns, the guys who run it,are fairly strict, eg anyone raising their voice consistently or banging balls etc are ejected straight away, mind you in all the years I've played there I've only seen this happen a couple of times. It has a great name and is well respected, and there's always someone about to have a game with, even the lads behind the counter will have a frame, one of them, the gaffer is a qualified RIBSA coach so you can pick up a few pointers.

Thanks again Zack! Sounds like CrossGuns is a well run place and what Im looking for!
    Feared that Id have to travel a wee bit to get a decent club! Not the worst, a bus and a bit of a walk! Would be nicer to be a bus, jump off and straight into the club...especailly with the winter rolling in; but that would be asking a bit much! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭DubGF

Curran I was in the same boat a few years ago.

The westbury is too pricey for listening to poker machines and gob****es roaring.

ALSAA is members only so thats not an option. They have 2 teams in DBSL, quite good standard as well.

Sportslink is the same (members only) and they didnt have a team last year, may enter one this year, leagues start next Tuesday.

I play now in the Racecourse in Baldoyle. To be honest the tables are not great, but its local to me. There is also the Raheny Inn in Raheny, but its more a pub style club. Racecourse are entering the Dublin Leagues again this year, I can hook you up with a contact if you wish....

I used to play in Joeys in Harmonstown but thats long gone, same as most of the northside clubs.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt be interested in a league this year - need lots of practice! :D
    Ill check out a few places and maybe next year Ill get onto a team!

Advertisement