Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury Biopic)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The actor playing Brian May looks exactly like a young Brian May. Impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Falthyron wrote: »
    The actor playing Brian May looks exactly like a young Brian May. Impressive!

Who is playing May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

looks good and i cant wait to see it

Love Queen and this movie is a long time in the making

Last novs 3arena show with Adam Lambert on the vocals was amazing and i recommend checking out this summers Marley Park show. Great tribute to Freddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who is playing May?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3152605/?ref_=tt_cl_t9

and the kid from Jurassic Park is playing John Deacon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

p to the e wrote: »
    It's lost on me how Aidan Gillen gets work.

An Irish man who can't do an Irish accent.

"Be Gorrah Freddy, tis me Little Finger, be god tura lura"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The trailer looks fantastic

After last night's Marley Park show very excited now about this

Looking forward to see what songs will be included. As it's only gojng up to Live aid a few hits won't be included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Shred

I'd forgotten about this (and Singer being fired) but happened across the trailer over the weekend and thought it looks great despite not being a Queen fan. I think it's definitely one for the big screen and will likely go and see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Hmmm, not so impressed with that trailer. Maleks Freddie voice is way off the mark. I know he's wearing a huge teeth prosthetic but it sounds really off-putting. As a huge fan I'll nit pick everything! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

Mr E wrote: »

Where's John Deacon in all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I think I'm too big of a Queen fan to enjoy this. Not convinced that Rami Malek can pull it off, but it was always going to be a big ask of any actor.

The guy playing Brian May seems to have nailed it alright. Looks and sounds eerily like the man himself.

i imagine
    the last scene in this movie will be the performance at the 1985 Live Aid concert. I wonder will they show much of freddies early life.

I fear
    They may just give a short overview of early queen and quickly fast forward to the recording of Night at the oprea and Bohemian Rhapsody and then fast forward to 1985 live aid.

I hope they explore
    The recording and touring of the other albums pre 1985 and they show the tension in the band during the early 80s when they changed there sound.

Is it a freddie movie or a queen movie we will see ???

Cant wait too see the movie and this is really my first movie of this kind (a biopic of a band im a fan of and who ive seen Live sadly without Freddie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

In the beginning it was stated a few times that the film is about how Queen moved on from Freddie's death and he died in the middle of the film but lately its been stated it only goes up to 1985.

There is probably going to be a fair bit of glossing over, ignoring certain things to make May and Taylor look better whilst also hiding some of Freddie's activities.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    In the beginning it was stated a few times that the film is about how Queen moved on from Freddie's death and he died in the middle of the film but lately its been stated it only goes up to 1985.

There is probably going to be a fair bit of glossing over, ignoring certain things to make May and Taylor look better whilst also hiding some of Freddie's activities.

I'd recommend watching the doc 'Queen days of our lives'. Excellent In depth story of the band's history. It's on YouTube

McLoughlin wrote: »

I'd recommend watching the doc 'Queen days of our lives'. Excellent In depth story of the band's history. It's on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If Freddy and Elton don't double team dwarf I'm out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Skerries wrote: »
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3152605/?ref_=tt_cl_t9

and the kid from Jurassic Park is playing John Deacon

I hope they don't start songs on the count of 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

PTH2009 wrote: »

The Great Pretender about Freddie is a good watch too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

They're definitely pushing its a Queen biopic not a Freddy biopic narrative anyway. Having one of the trailers end with a voiceover from who I assume to be the actor playing may saying "you're a legend" to which Freddy responds with "we all are" was cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's a brian may revisionist project as far as I can see

Out on weds really looking forward to it

Soundtrack is out now

Hope I'm wrong but song orders kind of indicates the order of the movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

Out on weds really looking forward to it

You might be able to tell us why Larry Mullen Jnr appears in it!

weadick wrote: »
    You might be able to tell us why Larry Mullen Jnr appears in it!

I'm guessing in a back stage segment at live aid he is prob in the background (well the actor playing him)

There is a guy playing Bob Geldolf too in it

prob urban legend or someone else in U2 but didnt Freddie fancy Larry Mullen Jnr and thats might be a reason hes in the movie ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Maleks Freddie voice is way off the mark. I know he's wearing a huge teeth prosthetic but it sounds really off-putting.

He sounds a little "slow" in that trailer... like Forrest Gump

prob urban legend or someone else in U2 but didnt Freddie fancy Larry Mullen Jnr and thats might be a reason hes in the movie ???

Thought that was Boy George?

Here we go it's been a long wait and hopefully it's good. Saw a review earlier which was not kind

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed that but I am a queen fan so non fans might not be too into it. Very good story but heard a different version of the live aid saga but it's not too big overall. Acting was very good, story was good and it's paints 1 or 2 particular people in a bad light

Fans will love it and I would recommend go seeing it

Really enjoyed that but I am a queen fan so non fans might not be too into it. Very good story but heard a different version of the live aid saga but it's not too big overall. Acting was very good, story was good and it's paints 1 or 2 particular people in a bad light

Does Larry do much in it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

A bit 'disnified' and it'll no doubt have its critics for that. But life's too short. The music is great, the story is good. Plays with the emotions a bit. We all thoroughly enjoyed it.

weadick wrote: »
    Does Larry do much in it? :)

I stand corrected but think he had a
    non speaking role and appeared in one of the first scenes walking down the stairs at live aid while freddie was going towards the stage
    Bob Geldolf has a speaking role
    but not sure what actor plays him

Nice nod too
    the famous Bohemian Rhapsody scene from Wayne's world by Mike Myers (Rey foster) saying 'BR is a song you want people nodding there heads to in there cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Rami Malek should be featured in the upcoming awards season - he did a fantastic job.

I really enjoyed the movie. It wasn't consistently great all the way through but it was mostly there.

The music scenes were excellent - I had goosebumps during some of them. Live Aid was the best way to end this movie too - what a brilliant segment. The lyrics for some of those songs took on a whole new meaning for me after the previous two hours.

Reading on wiki and watching the doc (queen days of our lives) a lot of the periods in the movie between
    1980-live aid is made up for the movie in a sense as in real life it's was a lot different. They all had solo projects and there was little tension in real life as was made out in the movie. During the period before Live Aid they even recorded the works album and done a tour. The movie makes it's out they came back together for live aid while in fact they completed a tour before Live Aid and were one of the first confirmed bands on the live aid lineup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Sorry to say but the film was a bit pedestrian but was redeemed by the final 15 minutes which will let people leave the cinema thinking they've seen a good movie. I can see why Sacha Baron Cohen left the project as he wanted a darker version of the Freddie Mercury story which would have been better. I remember a quote from Kenny Everett on the death of Mercury when he said that Freddie burnt the candle at both ends, and in the middle. There was little evidence of that in the film and his notorious excesses were glossed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I seen this yesterday and really enjoyed it. I think it could have been longer even as the 2 hours flew by. Remi Malek done an excellent job as Freddie Mercury. I liked all of the film if if some of it is not factually right. I thought the last 15 minutes was excellent too.
    Highly recommend going to see it in the cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think I was at the same showing as you.
    Were you in the ISense screen
    I thought it was awesome.
    As close as I will ever get to being at a live Queen concert.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I think I was at the same showing as you.
    Were you in the ISense screen
    I thought it was awesome.
    As close as I will ever get to being at a live Queen concert.

Saw Queen with Adam Lambert twice here and it had a few Freddie parts

Aids was really rapid back then in the Gay community. Freddie and Paul Prenter died from it and Jim Hutton survived it

I saw it this evening, and I have to say it was brilliant.

• Advertisement

also Freddie
    Found out he had aids a few years after the Live aid performance and not before Live Aid like the film told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Film is a long way from being a faithful telling of the story. One of many reasons I really disliked it. Not a big fan of the biopic and especially the rock star biopic so it had little chance in winning me over.

Sorry to say but the film was a bit pedestrian but was redeemed by the final 15 minutes which will let people leave the cinema thinking they've seen a good movie. I can see why Sacha Baron Cohen left the project as he wanted a darker version of the Freddie Mercury story which would have been better. I remember a quote from Kenny Everett on the death of Mercury when he said that Freddie burnt the candle at both ends, and in the middle. There was little evidence of that in the film and his notorious excesses were glossed over.

It was hinted at in the trailer, and probably cut from the film

I really enjoyed the humour in the film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

We saw it tonight & thought it was brilliant. The cinema was full too. Luckily I had booked tickets yesterday. Been a long time since I seen it full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I thought the film was as middle of the road as they come, with such a terribly weak script. You can just see May and Taylor standing over the script-writer telling him what to add it to make them look more relevant.

"You're a legend Freddie"
    "No, we're all legends"

Rami Malik is brilliant as Freddie for what the script allows, and I'd love to see him cover his final years as he battled aids and died. You know there is an oscar contender in the story that could be told right there. Hi miming was very authentic for the most part, which I worried would look bad and take me out of the movie, but watching him re-enact Live Aid and the various other live bits was not an issue. The rest of the actors always had an air of "first day on set" with every scene.

The film neither feels enough to be a Freddie biopic, or a Queen biopic, and settles somewhere in between, and fudging what happened in parts which is to the detriment of Mercury. The lads all had solo albums before Mercury. They never broke up and got back together for another stab at glory at Live Aid like it makes it appear. They were still touring before and around Live Aid, so the script really contrives this for some unnecessary drama. The idea that Live Aid wasn't getting calls until their performance was a joke. Queen certainly stood out and made a performance of a lifetime but that cut away to Geldof in a room with no calls happening, to them all ringing off the hook is completely self serving to the surviving band members making the film.

There was no drama to Queen's rise in the film. "Let's sell the van and make a record" to automatically signing, touring around the world, over and over. Throw in a few how they came up with that track in between scenes of them touring what looks like the same auditorium over and over.

It's such a shame that May and Taylor are the guardians to whether a good film can come of their story or not since they will not grant access to the band's music without their say and approval. There is a deadly film to be made about the band, but this isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thoroughly enjoyed this. I’m not a die-hard Queen fan, more of a casual fan, so I had no big expectations in that sense. Malek does a fantastic job as Freddie, and I loved watching him on screen. Some really good humorous bits throughout as well as deeper emotions. And I loved the Live Aid scenes.

One point - don’t go see it in the 4DX screen in Cineworld. Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

10/10!

What an absolute masterpiece of film making, we absolutely loved it and rest of the cinema did too going by the reactions at the end. Loads of laugh out load moments too but it’s the music which makes this brilliant.

People should see this in Maxx or equivalent for the full experience. I know people are questioning the complete accuracy of the story line but genuine queen nerds will go away with a big smile on their face with the cinematography.

The feeling leaving the cinema was the sadness of losing Freddie Mercury so early!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

No, that would be Boy George who publicly stated that "if Bono still hasn't found what he's looking for he should look behind the drum kit!"

Freddie may well have fancied Larry but he never declared it publicly.

They all had solo careers before Freddie and Roger Taylor had this gem. Catchy song but stupid video lol

https://youtu.be/YttrKkyVKyc

• Advertisement
Advertisement