Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giddy bike

• 17-09-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,me again. Unfortunately,im finding out that when you buy 2nd hand,you buy some unforseen problems too. What happens is,when riding at slower speeds,either cornering or on straights,the bike feels giddy. I can only liken it to when you get caught in one of those tracks in tarmac that you find it hard to get out of,if that makes any sense at all?? Also,on bumpy parts of the road,can hear a sort of clanking (I thought it was the keys rattling off the ignition:D).I have my suspicions as to what it might be,but I said id throw it out here to confirm them. Cheers in advance.

P.S. Bike is a 97 Fazer 400--53k miles

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bearings/tyre pressures/buckled wheel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

At least your brakes are sorted! I'd have to agree with oryx on the wobble part, but also check the tightness of the front axle bolt, could maybe be that the front bearings need retitening only. You dont mention on the wobble part if it is the front or rear that is "wobbling" so could also be the rear end. The clanking though could be any number of things, loose bolt allowing something to knock, chain slap, exhaust baffler. Can you recreate the clanking with bike stationary and ignition off? or does it only happen during riding?
    One of the "joys" of buying s/h I'm afraid.........I always end up doing the odd jobs that need doing when buying s/h, and am restoring one at the moment, but if done right you have the satisfaction of knowing that it has been done correctly. My only suggestion to you is that if the bike is not handling well I would check the whole bike over as a precaution for your safety before taking it out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Cheers guys,my suspicions were the head stock bearings alright. Ill check it out. Also,do I need to get Yamaha bearings if needs be or can I get spurious ones????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Spurious are fine but they may just need adjustment also tyre and chaintenaio. Should be checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

at 53k miles i say shes in need of a some love alri :)how bad tho wen shes all fixed up she'll start showing the love back :) would suspect square tyres meself for the giddy handeling as for clanking i guess at sprockets n chain other than that id be more concerned about it

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies guys,went at it at the weekend,took off handlebars,top bracket and locknut washer. Proceeded to see if the top nut would turn by hand and lo and behold,the top and bottom nuts loosened BY HAND!!! Guess this is too loose:D:D:D.Tightened it all up,seems fine,although I havnt tried it out properly on the road yet(it rained,ha ha ha). Also,im putting 2 tyres on just to be sure(rear is squared off a little)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

they are probably ok but stick in tapered bearings when you get a chance as the get grindy once they've been loose

Problem sorted methinks..:D Think i was suffering a bit from the old "Death Grip".:eek: Hence the pins and needles i posted about previously. When the head was loose,and i was gripping too tight,the front end could do what it was supposed to do. Then when i started to relax,the play came into effect and bike became unstable, if that makes any sense at all:confused:

Advertisement