Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork City - advice please

Options
  • 17-09-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hopefully this is the right spot for this post.

Moving to Cork in two weeks. Currently looking for accommodation. I'm from Dublin, obviously visited Cork before, but don't know the ins and and outs of where is good to live.

Just looking for a general overview of what areas are good to live - don't need anything too pedantic, just good recommendations of what areas to keep an eye out for when searching on Daft. I'm primarily looking for City Centre - its the areas a little bit out form the centre (still want it to be walking/cycling distance) which i wouldn't be too familiar with, so would like to know where to stay away from, and whats recommended. I'm sure there'll be difference of opinions on this.. just looking for very general advice!

I'm 31, looking for a small, cheap place on my own.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

Most of the city centre is fine really. Areas I have lived in have been wellington road - this is real flat land, no real community but I always felt safe living there. The flats tend to be of the bedsit kind. Turners cross was ok too, the only problems I had there was that there were a lot of pubs around there and there could be trouble at closing time at the weekends, things like car windows getting broken, more of a community there though. Blackrock was a nice place to live, good bus service and fairly quite. At least with renting you can move on if you dont like it :) Happy hunting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Where will you be working , that should make it a lot easier to decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭tinnuvial

Wellington Road is pretty good and Patricks hill, flatland but close to everything. I had a really nice place on Wellington road, not a bedsit. Douglas is nice, village in the city, everything close by and a good bus service but close enough to walk to town. There's a few nice places near St. John's College/Ballinlough/Douglas Road.

Stay away from North Main st. - I looked at a few places there and all pokey bedsits and kind of dingy. I'd be wary of a lot of apartments in the quays too.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Douglas is worth considering but it does depend on where you're working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Turners Cross area, not that expensive even with parking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nimrodsson

Thanks for your input guys - and as to where i'm working - its right smack in the centre, just off Patrick's street. I'm down here at the moment... witnessing the craziness of the Sam returing 'home' ;)

Advertisement