Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused a phone contract

Options
  • 17-09-2010 6:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

I was refused a phone contract, because I would not pay an extra €150 returnable after 6 months deposit, Reason: I failed their credit rating, :eek: to be honest I have never failed to pay a loan, mortgage, or another debt, and I have a decent wage, and a very healthy savings acc. and am a home owner.
    How would I go about getting a freedom of info from them, on the details they have of me

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I was refused a phone contract, because I would not pay an extra €150 returnable after 6 months deposit, Reason: I failed their credit rating, eek.gif to be honest I have never failed to pay a loan, mortgage, or another debt, and I have a decent wage, and a very healthy savings acc. and am a home owner.
    How would I go about getting a freedom of info from them, on the details they have of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Get in contact with this crowd,they will find your credit rating for you and show what made them refuse you

http://www.icb.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Duggan87

Doom wrote: »
    I was refused a phone contract, because I would not pay an extra €150 returnable after 6 months deposit, Reason: I failed their credit rating, eek.gif to be honest I have never failed to pay a loan, mortgage, or another debt, and I have a decent wage, and a very healthy savings acc. and am a home owner.

Go to your bank and ask them is there a problem with ur credit rating as you were refused a contract for a phone, Seems a bit mad because i was only 21 when i got myself a bill phone and had no problem gettin it

It was the 3 network, wonder is it just a bull****é why of getting you to pay a 6 month deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Duggan87

It was the 3 network, wonder is it just a bull****é why of getting you to pay a 6 month deposit

Maybe its for the amount of people just leaving after a few months and not finishing there contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

nothing to do with credit rating or ICB checking lads, it's merely 3's own credit scoring system (similar to all other networks) based on the info you supply during the application process

OP, i imagine your best bet is to write a letter to their customer care/credit control department to see what the issue is. . .i don't know if i'd go to the trouble though, i'm sure the other networks mightn't be so quick to turn down the business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Most, if not all, networks do it and you can see people mentioning similar here also:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055910134&page=5

I don't understand how they do it though. I'm mid-twenties, studying and got a bill pay no problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

This is it exactly. Phone companies have been using "credit rating" sh1te for years. I used to sell them for 3 years 10 years ago and people were declined for the sole basis of making them pay a deposit. Funny thing is though Home owners used to escape having to pay the deposit. The networks charged deposits to make sure people pay their bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

They have no information on you or no access to your records (only if someone has lodged a court judgement against you which is public information).

Its a scoring system so all the questions you answered when applying carry a score, bet you were asked things like profession/age/house ownership etc. and then dependent on these and whether the handset you have choosen is ususally subject to things like people not paying their bills then they put in deposits, its nothing to do with you, they know nothing about you.

hickory wrote: »
    They have no information on you or no access to your records (only if someone has lodged a court judgement against you which is public information).

Its a scoring system so all the questions you answered when applying carry a score, bet you were asked things like profession/age/house ownership etc. and then dependent on these and whether the handset you have choosen is ususally subject to things like people not paying their bills then they put in deposits, its nothing to do with you, they know nothing about you.

Can I request the info they claim to have on me, using freedom of info act 1997

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yes you can and if you request any personal information they might have to check its accuracy it should be free of the usual €6.50 charge afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

You can ask for it but you will only see the answers you gave I reckon, they would not give you the scores to each answer otherwise if that info got into the public domain people would know how to answer the questions and would answer them falsely.

There have been loads of people on boards who have been asked for 350 deposits, so 150 means they didn't rate you as high risk.

People get very insulted by the deposits but it is all based on statistics, so for example someone ordering a really expensive phone such as something as iphone on the highest tariff where you pay less for it, between ages of x and x may have a higher rate of not paying their bills. If your answers correlated to the statistics then that is why you were asked for the deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Off the top to my head, no....

Not under the FOI Act as it's not a public institution.

The Data Protection Acts 1988-2003 are what you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You can find out exactly why the deposit was requested. Go back to the store and the will have a leaflet on how you can appeal the deposit. You need to write off and supply proof of identity with your application as they need proof they are responding to the correct individual. All networks credit score people looking to get contracts and ask some for deposits. There is no fee for this once you apply through 3. No need to get your credit rating checked as networks don't and can't check your credit rating as they are not financial institutions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

theteal wrote: »
    nothing to do with credit rating or ICB checking lads, it's merely 3's own credit scoring system (similar to all other networks) based on the info you supply during the application process

+1
    My wife failed a few years back on three. There was no reason to fail but I think it might have been something to do with how long she was living at the current address or something. It was all very odd the and 3 rep in the shop could not figure it out.

I tried to talk her out of 3 in the first place :rolleyes:

I was refused a phone contract, because I would not pay an extra €150 returnable after 6 months deposit, Reason: I failed their credit rating, :eek: to be honest I have never failed to pay a loan, mortgage, or another debt, and I have a decent wage, and a very healthy savings acc. and am a home owner.
    Are you going to give out about 3 asking you for a deposit on every thread that remotely is about mobiles, your post is not helping the OP. You got asked for a deposit.....get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

They never give the deposit back, I had war with them a few years ago, We wanted 3 Phones for a new business I understood why they asked for 200 per phone to be held for 6 months, After 6 mths we asked for the 600 to be returned. Of course they said "cheque will be in the post" one mth passed and no cheque two mths etc etc. Then I cancelled the DD and stopped paying the bill as I knew I would not be staying with them after the 12 mths contract had expired. I never received anything back from them and then they proceeded to sent Debt Collector after us for 60€ they invoiced us for after we had ported the numbers back to O2. Nightmare company to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You stopped paying your bill and moved to 02, do you see the reason for deposits?

Walkman wrote: »
    You can find out exactly why the deposit was requested. Go back to the store and the will have a leaflet on how you can appeal the deposit. You need to write off and supply proof of identity with your application as they need proof they are responding to the correct individual. All networks credit score people looking to get contracts and ask some for deposits. There is no fee for this once you apply through 3. No need to get your credit rating checked as networks don't and can't check your credit rating as they are not financial institutions

They handed me a bullshíté leaflet, saying they use personal and financial info provided by you and also use info held by company called Experian Ireland Ltd to rate you.....sniff..sniff....do you smell that its bullshíté.... and I for one do not trust them to return the money after six months, has anyone taken this deal under these conditions, and what deposit did you give, has anyone had their deposit returned yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

They handed me a bullshíté leaflet, saying they use personal and financial info provided by you and also use info held by company called Experian Ireland Ltd to rate you.....sniff..sniff....do you smell that its bullshíté.... and I for one do not trust them to return the money after six months, has anyone taken this deal under these conditions, and what deposit did you give, has anyone had their deposit returned yet?

Experian are one of the largest consumer credit rating companies in the world. They provide information to most companies that provide credit to consumers (ie non-business customers)

Three are under no obligation to accept you as a customer and are not required to tell you why they are accepting you as or a customer or why they are imposing conditions on their acceptance of you as a customer.

I have had contracts with all the mobile companies and was only asked for a deposit on my first Eircell contract.

I have been a bill-pay customer with 3 for the last 4 years and I haven't had any problems with them at all, that being said I have heard that they are terrible when something does go wrong, they seem to be the Ryanair of the mobile phone companies

• Advertisement

Walkman wrote: »
    Are you going to give out about 3 asking you for a deposit on every thread that remotely is about mobiles, your post is not helping the OP. You got asked for a deposit.....get over it

Yes I am, thanks:D now get over that:D 3 should put down every time they do things like asking for an un-reasonable deposit....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

You can get a copy of your credit rating from the ICB

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My partner and I switched to 3 recently to get the iPhone 4. We went into the store together to get the phones. My credit check went through OK, but then his failed. The reason - there were 2 high value phones being bought by people at the same address at the same time. That triggered some alert in their system.

If it was 3, they should have given you a leaflet outling some of the criteria on which their credit check is based. They use Experian and you should be able to request a copy of your credit rating.It's based mainly on how long you've had a bank account, if you're registered to vote etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 buzzin2buzz

matrim wrote: »
    You can get a copy of your credit rating from the ICB

The mobile networks do not have access to ICB - the only information they can use to decide is the information you give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

3 are the only phone company that do this. My wife and I got phones off them a few years ago and i got asked for €200 even though my credit ratin is perfect. they said there were other criteria outside the credit check that they take into account.

also was told that i would get it back after 6 months only fir it to be used up to pay my bill.

anyways their bills were mad expensive,they had a mad way of calculation "free" minutes back then, so i didnt pay for a few months and told them to use my deposit still left them short €200 and that was 4 years ago they never came looking for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

You stopped paying your bill and moved to 02, do you see the reason for deposits?

The deposit was asked for before I joined the 3 network, I stopped paying the bills because I was €600 in credit with them from the deposit and they dragged their heels to return. I was running a business and had a €600 hole in my books every month. I jumped back to O2 because their Customer Service and coverage in the area that I was working in was rubbish (even after 2 different phones and engineers visit).

Was right to stop paying the bills as I would have still been waiting on the return of the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

anyways their bills were mad expensive,they had a mad way of calculation "free" minutes back then, so i didnt pay for a few months and told them to use my deposit still left them short €200 and that was 4 years ago they never came looking for the rest.
    Looks like they were right to ask for a deposit then or they would have been down over 200 euro. :confused:

3 are the only phone company that do this.

Do what, ask for deposits?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Freedom of information act is for getting info from Government agencies.
    You are thinking of the Data Protection Act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

ive heard of meteor looking for deposits aswell..

Advertisement