Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV developed a fault after 3 1/2 years (Currys...)

Options
  • 17-09-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so here's a bit of background information

I bought a LG Plasma back in January 2007 and purchased a three year coverplan (Currys :( - Never again). It expired last January. What happened about two days ago was that the TV suddenly (No noise, no pop, no manhandling) darkened and went blotchy. It has the appearance of a LCD with a dead backlight except for the fact that there are blotches and spots and lines of black running all throughout the screen. I'm suspecting that the plasma panel itself is having issues charging some of the pixels. The OSD is also slow and tears quite a bit. All of this happened suddenly, three days ago it was working perfectly fine.

Technical details aside, as far as I know according to the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act and the Statute of Limitations I have six years from date of purchase to claim if a product does not conform to specification.

Certainly a TV that cost in excess of €1000 should last longer than 3 1/2 years. In fact a plasma TV according to spec should last around 30,000 hours. According to the expert menu on the TV, the TV has clocked about 9658 hours, nowhere near the 30,000 life expectancy.

Now as you'd expect I went to Currys to see what I could do. To say they were unhelpful would be a compliment relative to what they were like. I was met by a sales person who was nice enough and brought me over to customer "service". Over there at the "TechGuys" counter I talked to quite possibly the rudest supposed manager that the retail business had to offer.

Before I got a chance to even speak he gave me a scowl and asked me "What do you want?". I was literally given about 20 seconds to speak before he told me that he wasn't about to give me anything for free (I had only just told him what was wrong with the TV and hadn't asked for anything). I gave him some laws and some EU directives that I had printed out which backed me up and he dismissed them saying that he wouldn't bother wasting his time reading any old rubbish that someone printed off the internet ( This "rubbish" happened to be taken directly from the Irish Statue book and an EU directive). I then asked him whether or not he would expect a TV to last three years. His response to that was some spiel about how the manufacturers warranty lasts only 12 months and after that they were no longer responsible. All the staff were backing him up with conflicting information that contradicted itself which shows to me that I doubt any of them are trained to deal with issues like this.

Anyone have any suggestions on to what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

Repost that HERE

Declan Ronayne is the Currys\PC World MD....... he seems like a nice guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Anyone have any suggestions on to what I should do?

After three and a half years, you haven't really a hope of getting them to do anything. Nothing lasts indefinitely, and all thought a TV should last longer than 3 years, expecting the retailer to foot the bill for investigating and repairing it at this stage is not very reasonable.

Find of the cost of an inspection by an authorised repair agent, and if possible an estimate on the cost of fixing, then take it from there. The retailer/manufacturer may be willing to share some of the cost, depending on how much it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

But surely the good hasn't conformed to it's specification that it was bought upon if it has only lasted 9600 hours out of an estimated lifespan of 30,000 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

But surely the good hasn't conformed to it's specification that it was bought upon if it has only lasted 9600 hours out of an estimated lifespan of 30,000 hours.

Is that written in the Manual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

30000 hours at the basic settings.

If you had it up full brightness/dynamic settings the lifespan is shortened considerably.

Unfortunately this is the problem with flat screen TV's that a lot of people will only start discovering now how short a life span these TV's has.

If its plasma it sounds like the plasma gas has leaked.

How long is the TV on day OP?
    Because this will effect the life.
    How do you turn it on and off?

If there is power going to it and it is powering on its the panel, if its not turning on at all its the power supply.
    Either way the repair costs will be very expensive.

I hate currys and this 3year bullsh1t, even stuff that breaks within six months they are painful to get a repair out of.
    You could try smalls claim court.
    Id say you'd be wasting time though.

• Advertisement

cabrwab wrote: »
    30000 hours at the basic settings.

If you had it up full brightness/dynamic settings the lifespan is shortened considerably.

Unfortunately this is the problem with flat screen TV's that a lot of people will only start discovering now how short a life span these TV's has.

If its plasma it sounds like the plasma gas has leaked.

How long is the TV on day OP?
    Because this will effect the life.
    How do you turn it on and off?

If there is power going to it and it is powering on its the panel, if its not turning on at all its the power supply.
    Either way the repair costs will be very expensive.

I hate currys and this 3year bullsh1t, even stuff that breaks within six months they are painful to get a repair out of.
    You could try smalls claim court.
    Id say you'd be wasting time though.
    Nope, always half brightness. So is it a hopeless case? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

In my opinion yes. 3.5 years is too long. Just my thoughts on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A grand for 3.5 years? A run at the small claims court is only €15.......

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the number of hours is just the expected life of the panel in the TV, it's nothing to do with the expected overall life of the TV. Anything could go wrong with a 3 year old TV, what you 'expect' has nothing to do with it.

LG only warranty it for a year, which you knew so you took out the Currys cover, this should have been a major hint that you couldn't expect a long life out of it.

Turns out i'm mistaken. It's in fact 60,000 hours in the manual that came with the TV (I was referencing a manual that I found online in my earlier post). So that's 1/6 of it's light at half brightness. Gross misrepresentation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

if you have bought a 3 year extended warrenty ,this only kicks in after the manufacturers warenty is up -so first 12 months is gauranteed for free ,next 3 years is under coverplan warrenty so you should be covered till year 4

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

copacetic wrote: »
    the number of hours is just the expected life of the panel in the TV, it's nothing to do with the expected overall life of the TV. Anything could go wrong with a 3 year old TV, what you 'expect' has nothing to do with it.

LG only warranty it for a year, which you knew so you took out the Currys cover, this should have been a major hint that you couldn't expect a long life out of it.

What a load of tripe. 99% of electrical warranties are 1 year. That means we should just expect everything to pack up? Very few TV manufacturers giving warranties longer than 1 year, or if they are, you pay a much higher price for the TV.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

whiterebel wrote: »
    What a load of tripe. 99% of electrical warranties are 1 year. That means we should just expect everything to pack up? Very few TV manufacturers giving warranties longer than 1 year, or if they are, you pay a much higher price for the TV.

Expecting anything to definitely last longer than the manufacturer will warranty if for is not the smartest move. Nor is thinking you have a legal case when something packs up outside this clear warranty period.

copacetic wrote: »
    Expecting anything to definitely last longer than the manufacturer will warranty if for is not the smartest move. Nor is thinking you have a legal case when something packs up outside this clear warranty period.

And I thought your first one was tripe....:rolleyes:. So, which retailer do you work for, as a matter of interest. Are you actually aware of the Sale of Goods Act, and the protection it affords consumers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I would say chalk it down to experience and buy a new one unless you want to go the SCC route which of course it open to you.

While you may have success with that option, I can't see your argument of 30,000 hours v 10,000 hours succeeding unless this was the single biggest selling point when purchasing the TV.

I know that Richersounds provide 5 year guarantees so that might be some help in gauging how long the life span expectation is without bankrupting a business.

However, as you went for a 3 year cover, that's the decision you made. Saying that, these things are supposed to be in addition to your statutory rights.

It's a tricky one. Dunno how to call it TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

If you had purchassed from a sympathtetic reputable retailer, you could probably negotiate repair at cost, or a good discount off a replacement tv. But you chose to deal with currys, don't expect sympathy from them or me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I don't think you have anything OP, the cost of repairs on these TV's is crazy, its cheaper to buy a new one.

This time choose a smaller, better, more personal retailer and not curry's.

I've had experience with a 3month old piece of equipment break and them refusing to repair it as i didn't have their cover purchased.

With regards the TV the 60000 hours is best case scenario.
    10000 hours is more normal for a plasma.

Where abouts did you have it kept main usage.

When they test the "60000" hours its guessed but in controlled environment which a house is never going to be.

As i've said and somebody else the smalls claims is only 15euro to apply if you really want to have a go at pursuing it.

On a stand well ventilated in the living room is where it spent most of its life. I amn't expecting sympathy from Currys or anyone in particular. In fact I have serious doubts that Curry will even so much as offer me the number of a repairmen let alone anything else so that's why i'm leaning towards the Small claims court. If I had it my way, I would've bought the TV off any other company. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one who made the decision where to buy the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

For €15 you've nothing to lose. I'd ring the SCC and speak to a registrar who'll be able to advise you if it's worth your while.

Personally I think you're well within your rights to seek redress for the fault. There was a case recently where a woman approached Arnotts after a €1000 TV she bought there died after 4 years. In the end, she got a repair/replacement. You can read about it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Getting a television show to back you up would probably help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

jor el wrote: »
    After three and a half years, you haven't really a hope of getting them to do anything. Nothing lasts indefinitely, and all thought a TV should last longer than 3 years, expecting the retailer to foot the bill for investigating and repairing it at this stage is not very reasonable.

Find of the cost of an inspection by an authorised repair agent, and if possible an estimate on the cost of fixing, then take it from there. The retailer/manufacturer may be willing to share some of the cost, depending on how much it is.

You may have to do this to prove it's a fault not mis-use which caused the problem, but once a fault is established it's my understanding the retailer would be responsible for all costs involved. The basic principle is that the consumer should not be at a loss as a result of a successful claim against the retailer.

OP, send a written complaint by registered post to the branch manger. Clearly but breifly describe the fault and inform them that you require a resolution under the Sale of Goods and Services Act. Tell them that if you are not offered a satisfactory resolution within 10 business days you will be taking it to the Small Claims Court.

At least that way if it goes to the SCC the Court will see you have been fair and reasonable and that you have given the retailer a reasonable opportunity of redress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

In all fairness lads,these chain stores couldn't give a ****e. They make most of their money selling this useless insurance,that has more catches and snags than a fishing net.
    If nothing happens whilst in the insurance,great! You had the cover so at least you knew it was safe.
    If something does happen,great! at least you bought the cover. That is until,they try and make it in such a way that they won't have to foot the bill,with some term or condition.
    Smail claims court won't scare them and trust me,they will know all about these acts,so don't bother reciting it again. Pity you didn't go to an independent retailer,they may not have done it free,but certainly would have aided you in some way that's better than the way you have been 'helped'.

greetings wrote: »
    I
    Smail claims court won't scare them and trust me,they will know all about these acts,so don't bother reciting it again. Pity you didn't go to an independent retailer,they may not have done it free,but certainly would have aided you in some way that's better than the way you have been 'helped'.
    I amn't expecting it to scare them, all I expect is some kind of redress. I'm fairly sure upper Management know the acts inside out but by the look of things those lower down the chain that actually deal with customers haven't even got a coherent mistruth.

Posted some photos of what the TV looks like when switched on.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056032818

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

Turns out i'm mistaken. It's in fact 60,000 hours in the manual that came with the TV (I was referencing a manual that I found online in my earlier post). So that's 1/6 of it's light at half brightness. Gross misrepresentation?

But the info in the manual is from the manufacturer, not the retailer, so unless you can prove that the sales staff said 'Hey, look this TV will last for 60,000 hours' then this is irrelevant.

Have you tired ringing LG to get the contact info for a local approved repair center and get a quote from them?

dillon1 wrote: »
    But the info in the manual is from the manufacturer, not the retailer, so unless you can prove that the sales staff said 'Hey, look this TV will last for 60,000 hours' then this is irrelevant.

Have you tired ringing LG to get the contact info for a local approved repair center and get a quote from them?
    The TV was on offer at the time and I had a spec sheet which was a 1:1 copy of the technical specs in the manual along with the price.

Advertisement