Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to get a bike!!

• 17-09-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a bike to drive to college and i just want to know the cost of insurance and where to start (license, test, budget ect)...

i don't have any license at the moment..

any help is appreciated...
    oh i'm 19 :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭mowhawk

Go to the RSA website which should have all the info that you need.

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/

The very best of luck. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

tnx i'll have a look...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NitroHead91

gazzamc wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a bike to drive to college and i just want to know the cost of insurance and where to start (license, test, budget ect)...

i don't have any license at the moment..

any help is appreciated...
    oh i'm 19 :(

First of all do your theory test, that will give you a A catagory provisional license which will allow you to drive up to a 250cc bike or ( 0.16kW/kg )
    You cannot apply for your full test until you have your provisional license for 6months.

If you dont have a no claims bonus (NCB) ur kinda limited to small cc bikes ( 125 or less ) or else you will be crippled with insurance :(...cos your over 18 you can get insured up to a 250cc, but its best to work up a bonus first
    ( though some 250cc can be tricky to get insured on )

Your best starting out on a 125cc until you work up a NCB, then move to a 250cc after a year....im now 19 aswell and thats what i did.

You should get insured on a 125cc bike for about €900-€1000 from Quinn Direct

My advice: Get a varaderro 125 ( very gd 125 as it is a V-twin engine:D) for about €1000, spend €300- 500 on helmet, jacket, gloves etc and pay the insurance monthly ( should be around €70-€100 per month )

Hope this helped

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

First of all do your theory test, that will give you a A catagory provisional license which will allow you to drive up to a 250cc bike or ( 0.16kW/kg )
    You cannot apply for your full test until you have your provisional license for 6months.

If you dont have a no claims bonus (NCB) ur kinda limited to small cc bikes ( 125 or less ) or else you will be crippled with insurance :(...cos your over 18 you can get insured up to a 250cc, but its best to work up a bonus first
    ( though some 250cc can be tricky to get insured on )

Your best starting out on a 125cc until you work up a NCB, then move to a 250cc after a year....im now 19 aswell and thats what i did.

You should get insured on a 125cc bike for about €900-€1000 from Quinn Direct

My advice: Get a varaderro 125 ( very gd 125 as it is a V-twin engine:D) for about €1000, spend €300- 500 on helmet, jacket, gloves etc and pay the insurance monthly ( should be around €70-€100 per month )

Hope this helped

thats all right, except you can have any sized engine bike as long as its <25kW/0.16W/Kg but you wouldnt get insured on anything big anyway.

youre best off with a 125 as said. few options are varadero 125, cbr 125, tdr 125 and nsr 125.

the nsr would be the fastest/most fun but would be a bit more to insure and not quite as reliable as the cbr/varadero. if youve the money the yzf r125 is the best looking 125
    r125-31591.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NitroHead91

theliam wrote: »
    thats all right, except you can have any sized engine bike as long as its <25kW/0.16W/Kg but you wouldnt get insured on anything big anyway.

I hate insurance companies !!! Always wreckin the buzz !!!
    Since the new laws, i dont think they insurers know themselves whats allowed nd whats not....Pain in the arse !!

• Advertisement

Wow thanks alot guys this will help me greatly...

yea i hate insurance companies, they make it hard for younger drivers.

just a few questions, if i get one of these 125 bikes how many years would it take fore me to upgrade to a yamaha FZR1000?

and how long approx would it take me to get the provisional license?

tnx for the replies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Em...if you want to get a full A licence your have to do the test on a bike of atleast 150cc so there is no real point in getting a 125cc bike coz if you do your test on that then you will you get yourself a full A1 licence which is pointless as it only entitles you to drive 125cc bikes and no bigger!! You can drive any bike on an provisional A licence provided you can get insurance on it, once its restricted to 33bhp

ok so your saying to go for a bike atleast 150cc or more... How much more would the insurance be? and is it worth it?

Also i heard that if you go for a car license first then get a bike license that it's easier, is that true?
    martydunf wrote: »
    Em...if you want to get a full A licence your have to do the test on a bike of atleast 150cc so there is no real point in getting a 125cc bike coz if you do your test on that then you will you get yourself a full A1 licence which is pointless as it only entitles you to drive 125cc bikes and no bigger!! You can drive any bike on an provisional A licence provided you can get insurance on it, once its restricted to 33bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Wow thanks alot guys this will help me greatly...

yea i hate insurance companies, they make it hard for younger drivers.

just a few questions, if i get one of these 125 bikes how many years would it take fore me to upgrade to a yamaha FZR1000?

and how long approx would it take me to get the provisional license?

tnx for the replies...

First off, apply for you theory test. Say this takes 1 month. Pass first go and apply for you Learner permit. Say another month for this. Then you wait 6 months to do your test, apply for this after 3 months saying that you can only do it in 3 months time. You pass first time and apply for your full license. The 2 year restriction period kicks in. So, to get a full powered Fazer thou will take you in and around 2 years, eight months!
    ok so your saying to go for a bike atleast 150cc or more... How much more would the insurance be? and is it worth it?

Also i heard that if you go for a car license first then get a bike license that it's easier, is that true?

No idea what insurance would be like. Just ring the 4 companies to get an idea.

No, doing the car test first does not make getting the bike license easier. Have a car license for years with a lot of experience on the road helps you in getting confident on a bike. This is because you are aware of your surroundings, the rules of the road and other users etc. It;s just slightly less to worry about when learning to drive a bike.

I think that sums it up.. tnx.
    RosieJoe wrote: »
    First off, apply for you theory test. Say this takes 1 month. Pass first go and apply for you Learner permit. Say another month for this. Then you wait 6 months to do your test, apply for this after 3 months saying that you can only do it in 3 months time. You pass first time and apply for your full license. The 2 year restriction period kicks in. So, to get a full powered Fazer thou will take you in and around 2 years, eight months!

No idea what insurance would be like. Just ring the 4 companies to get an idea.

No, doing the car test first does not make getting the bike license easier. Have a car license for years with a lot of experience on the road helps you in getting confident on a bike. This is because you are aware of your surroundings, the rules of the road and other users etc. It;s just slightly less to worry about when learning to drive a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

hi all,i too am in the market for a bike,am over 25 and have my theory coming up on the 5/10.
    i read everything above,good,simple advice but im a little confused about having to wait 6 months before doing the test.i was hoping to do this before december,before these restrictions come in,Why do i have to wait 6 months to do the test?

just been working this out......theres a fair old expense involved in getting a licence and bike on the road for the 1st time.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Once you pass your theory test, you can go into the motor tax office in your area on the very same day and apply for the learner permit. You'd then be issued with this a couple of days after.

Personally, I agree with the bit about starting on a 250cc or higher (once it's restricted) - I'm only paying a couple of hundred more on a restricted 650cc. Depends on how much you have to spend though.

One good way of cutting down on your insurance is to get some lessons - which you should definitely do anyway - and then take an assessment with the very same instructor a few weeks later, when you've had some road experience. This assessment can cost you as little as 90euro or thereabouts and your premium could come down a few hundred. All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

hi all,i too am in the market for a bike,am over 25 and have my theory coming up on the 5/10.
    i read everything above,good,simple advice but im a little confused about having to wait 6 months before doing the test.i was hoping to do this before december,before these restrictions come in,Why do i have to wait 6 months to do the test?

just been working this out......theres a fair old expense involved in getting a licence and bike on the road for the 1st time.:(

The 6 month period before getting you permit and doing your test was introduced last year, as well as the requirement to wear the L-Tabbard.

Once you have your permit before December you will not be affected by the need to do the CBT.

At this stage, it will probably be a good idea for the Mods to put a sticky up explaining the new CBT requirement. Roadskill, could you throw something together seeing as you have first hand experience of CBT and it's requirements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

The 6 month period before getting you permit and doing your test was introduced last year, as well as the requirement to wear the L-Tabbard.

Once you have your permit before December you will not be affected by the need to do the CBT.

At this stage, it will probably be a good idea for the Mods to put a sticky up explaining the new CBT requirement. Roadskill, could you throw something together seeing as you have first hand experience of CBT and it's requirements?
    Hey thanks Rosie for all good,simple and accurate information you and other posters have posted up here.phew thats a relief on the licence question,gives me some time to look for a suitable bike.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Just to give you an idea of timeframe.
    It'll take you 1-3 weeks after applying for the theory test to get a place, depending on where you are.
    If you really want to hurry things up, apply for as early a test as possible.
    You get your result and your cert there and then if you pass.
    Then go and get your eye report (you need a valid eye exam) and a pair of passport photos.
    Bring this straight to your motor tax office with your passport and you should have your liscense posted out to you in 2-3 working days.
    Once you have the liscence you can see about getting whatever bike you want.

Personally I'd go for a Varadero (I did:p) as not only is it the ideal beginers bike, it's also very relieable and will hold it's value well.

Best of luck.

Advertisement