Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreambox 500 HD flashing

• 17-09-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭

im having problems trying to flash my 500hd box

Im hoping to do the firmware update via browser but im not sure how

iv read this http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/en/dm500-hd-flashing-firmware-browserbut I just still dont understand. Stuff like DHCP and intact bootloader

can some one help me out?

try to dumb it down for me :o

"The following steps assume you have a DHCP server" how do I know I have a DHCP server? I know I remembered doing stuff like that with my previous box but a friend helped me out in that instance. I know when i go into test the network connections and turn off DHCP, it gets its own IP address, so could that be it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Headshot wrote: »

"The following steps assume you have a DHCP server" how do I know I have a DHCP server? I know I remembered doing stuff like that with my previous box but a friend helped me out in that instance. I know when i go into test the network connections and turn off DHCP, it gets its own IP address, so could that be it ?

It's actually the other way around.When you have DHCP active on your LAN router (it's active by default on most), your dreambox will get an IP address automatically (and have a working internet connection) from your router (it's usually your router but it could be any DHCP server on your LAN).

Also, I have never flashed a DM500HD using this method but I have flashed a DM600 using the browser.

I usually telnet in and execute 3 commands which put the box into flash mode.Then I type it's IP into a browser and I get the same screen as shown in your link.I'm just afraid to give you the 3 commands in case I brick your DM500HD as I've only tested them on a DM600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

carbsy wrote: »
    It's actually the other way around.When you have DHCP active on your LAN router (it's active by default on most), your dreambox will get an IP address automatically (and have a working internet connection) from your router (it's usually your router but it could be any DHCP server on your LAN).

so how do i get a DCHP server, carb?

in the instructions it says this

"If you don't have one, you have to setup an IP address (klick) in the bootloader's serial setup.

like where the **** to I get that HyperTerm thing

My head is sore

Ok... what internet connection do you have? Who's your ISP? Your router will usually be you DHCP server, i.e. you don't have to do anything, just wire up the dreambox to a spare lan port on your router using a patch cable.

Ok... what internet connection do you have? Who's your ISP?

Im with eircom

3MB connection (if that makes any difference)

• Advertisement

Im with eircom

3MB connection (if that makes any difference)

Ok they supply a Netopia router which has a built in DHCP server and is active by default so you just have to plug the dreambox into a spare lan port at the back - they're are 4 on the back.

Ok they supply a Netopia router which has a built in DHCP server and is active by default so you just have to plug the dreambox into a spare lan port at the back - they're are 4 on the back.

actually its the Eircom zyxel router I have and I have a ethernet cable from that router to my dreambox

actually its the Eircom zyxel router I have and I have a ethernet cable from that router to my dreambox

ok... so you have it all connected.Does it have the default dream multimedia image installed? Go to settings then the network part and it should say that you have been assigned an IP address and it will tell you what it is .. i.e. 192.168.1.xxx .

ok... so you have it all connected.Does it have the default dream multimedia image installed? Go to settings then the network part and it should say that you have been assigned an IP address and it will tell you what it is .. i.e. 192.168.1.xxx .

yes I got into network setup and at the moment I have No beside Use DHCP
    im not sure is that right but I do have an IP address

Once you have the IP address, all you need to do then is follow the steps in the link you provided and enter this IP into your web browser.Then you choose the location of your downloaded image (I'd suggest Pli and I think that's what you have download) and flash it.

• Advertisement

Ah.. that's the problem.You need to change DHCP to yes on the dreambox.Then reboot and go back in and you will have a correct IP address for your LAN.

Also, what IP address is it? It has to be on the same subnet as your router.This is what DHCP does.It allocates your dreambox an IP in the same subnet and the correct gateway and thus access to the internet.

Ah.. that's the problem.You need to change DHCP to yes on the dreambox.Then reboot and go back in and you will have a correct IP address for your LAN.

ill do that man and Ill say a good night to you

bloody thing has me worn out, all i want to do is get my digitalB card going in this box and I have to get a cccam for it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

ill do that man and Ill say a good night to you

bloody thing has me worn out, all i want to do is get my digitalB card going in this box and I have to get a cccam for it :rolleyes:

How did you get on Headshot?

How did you get on Headshot?

Im a happy owner of a flashed DM 500HD

I flashed it with Gemini

I used this program called DreamEnum to see did I have a DHCP server and I did, so im delighted

Im a happy owner of a flashed DM 500HD

I flashed it with Gemini

I used this program called DreamEnum to see did I have a DHCP server and I did, so im delighted

Ah.. well done! :)

Iv a motorised dish

Iv the tuner on one single satellite 16e, tbh I dont have a clue of how to get the motorised dish going, its alot more complex compared to the clone 500

any advice ?

Iv a motorised dish

Iv the tuner on one single satellite 16e, tbh I dont have a clue of how to get the motorised dish going, its alot more complex compared to the clone 500

any advice ?

I remember that you had the dish/motor professionally installed so I'm assuming that it's aligned to the arc correctly.Now.. I'm working from memory with Enigma 2 but you just need to choose usals (DiSEqC 1.3) and enter your long/latitude settings and the box should move correctly to each sat that you choose.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I've moved to the Azbox Ultra and for the life of me I can't remember the E2 menu settings.

I remember that you had the dish/motor professionally installed so I'm assuming that it's aligned to the arc correctly.Now.. I'm working from memory with Enigma 2 but you just need to choose usals (DiSEqC 1.3) and enter your long/latitude settings and the box should move correctly to each sat that you choose.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I've moved to the Azbox Ultra and for the life of me I can't remember the E2 menu settings.

I dont know my long/latitude settings

what the engineer did was set the dish to thor and then by my clone dreambox find the other satellites. I was hoping to use that method again

Go to http://www.dishpointer.com/ . You will get your longitude and latitude here. Enter these into motor settings using usals, the other sats should come in automatically.

• Advertisement

Go to http://www.dishpointer.com/ . You will get your longitude and latitude here. Enter these into motor settings using usals, the other sats should come in automatically.

thanks for that that fish but iv hit a wall

for example my Latitude: 52.4988° and Longitude: -7.9896°

but in the reception settings it only gives you space for 3 last numbers

The reception settings layout is like this

Configuration mode Simple
    Mode Positioner
    Longitude 000.000
    East
    Latitude 000.000
    North

I dont know what the east and north means either

Mode Positioner
    Longitude 000.000
    East
    Latitude 000.000
    North

You have your longitude (East) & latitude (North) coordinates then.Round these to 3 decimal places i.e. use 52.499 for your latitude and -7.990 for your longtitude and Bob's your auntie. ;)

*edit* you don't enter the '-' for longtitude.It wont allow you anyway.

Mode Positioner
    Longitude 000.000
    East
    Latitude 000.000
    North

Try longitude 007.989 west
    and latitude 052.498 north

Thats the way ive mine set up, obviously with my own co ordinates. Dont worry about the fact you can only fit 3 last numbers instead of 4
    Edit: try it carbsy's way first.

Thats the way ive mine set up, obviously with my own co ordinates. Dont worry about the fact you can only fit 3 last numbers instead of 4

Both should work fine as we're only taking about a hairs breath of a coordinates change. ;)

You have your longitude (East) & latitude (North) coordinates then.Round these to 3 decimal places i.e. use 52.499 for your latitude and -7.990 for your longtitude and Bob's your auntie. ;)

*edit* you don't enter the '-' for longtitude.It wont allow you anyway.

im getting some where :)

im in the position setup at the moment and i have a fair idea of what to do in there except im not sure of what set limits is?

lol here's me thinking I was getting some where

I think the motor needs to be reset because I tried to tune in 28.2 and I thought I got it until I saw the channels I was getting

Digital+ stuff

so im picking up stuff on 19.2 instead of 28.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

lol here's me thinking I was getting some where

I think the motor needs to be reset because I tried to tune in 28.2 and I thought I got it until I saw the channels I was getting

Digital+ stuff

so im picking up stuff on 19.2 instead of 28.2

Try adding 9deg to you longitude setting and if this dont work minus 9deg for original setting

edit

Im over the moon, i finally got my dreambox going with the motorised dish

im really thrilled and man a legit dreambox is just something special altogether

just like to say thanks to carbsy, fish fingers (always helpful poster) and Joe250 for all the advice and help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

How much delivered for the 500HD? I'm thinking of getting a new box and it has a better processor than the 800 so that 500 looks the way to go.

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    How much delivered for the 500HD? I'm thinking of getting a new box and it has a better processor than the 800 so that 500 looks the way to go.

350 euro

Advertisement