Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are fixie bikes so expensive?

• 17-09-2010 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

I thought they would be cheaper, are they just a fashion statement hence the price?

I am thinking of getting one, will the lack of brakes be dangerous?

Why are they luminous also, I was hoping they were crappy bikes that people 'fixed' up and be like a thrift shop style bike.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's a sellers Market at the moment.

Riding without brakes on the road is both dangerous and illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Subtle Troll

el tonto wrote: »
    It's a sellers Market at the moment.

Riding without brakes on the road is both dangerous and illegal

Don't they work by the pedals?

They have no ratchet?

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFixed-gear_bicycle&ei=wb-TTOO8F9fPjAea26yZBQ&usg=AFQjCNEjP6_GO625iPKKqD1Q19dYwFgCpw&sig2=fQB-XyTa5N3xDGnrLM0Xxg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yep. They have no freewheel

So some don't have brakes?

Do you need brakes anyway?

http://trendland.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/fixie-bike.jpg

This ones cool apart from the crisp packets or whatever.

Not necessarily that colour either.

http://www.highsnobiety.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_kidrobot_fixie_1.jpg.jpg

That one is more like it, but they have no brakes see?

Yes. Most are track bikes, where you don't need brakes.

Yeah, you can't stop anyway quickly by relying on slowing your pedalling.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As el tonto said, it's a legal requirement to have at least one brake on a fixie that's used on the road. Slowing just with pedals is dangerous, particularly in an emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Very cheap if ya build it yerself.;)

Makes sense I suppose.

Do people ever make their own fixie?

I had a bike I found in a bush once I loved then it was nicked at college.

I'd love a scrap of a thing I could paint luminous orange or something and have one brake on it.

Where would you even find such a thing or is it not done, I know you guys have proper carbon fibre bikes so would this be the right place to even ask?

kona wrote: »
    Very cheap if ya build it yerself.;)

I didn't see this post.

I want to make one, its what I thought a 'fixie' was to begin with anyway.

I built my own, but sourced the frame and parts new.

If you want to do it on the cheap, you'll need to find a second hand frame with horizontal dropouts.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    I built my own, but sourced the frame and parts new.

If you want to do it on the cheap, you'll need to find a second hand frame with horizontal dropouts.

Are they the common frame mount?

I saw them but I dunno if they would suit all bike wheels.

Where would you get the parts, are there bike scrap yards :confused:

Are they the common frame mount?

The dropouts? No, unless they're designed as track frames, most frames these days have vertical dropouts.
    I saw them but I dunno if they would suit all bike wheels.

No, you'd need a rear wheel with a fixed gear hub.
    Where would you get the parts, are there bike scrap yards :confused:

There aren't any scrap yards, but Rothar in Phibsborough do second hand parts. Also eBay is worth scouring.

So horizontal dropouts are for fixed gear hubs yeah?

Cool, and the front end attachments are all the same?

Like, any front end will fit a frame, and then any wheel will fit the front?

Yes, the front of the bike is the same.

I'm gonna send them an e-mail and ask how much the bits would cost.

I'd love a bit of a yoke that I could paint and all, like a big kids bike ha!

Homebase have luminous orange paint and car shops have metallic purples and all that, would look like one of the pics I posted ha!

Thanks I don't know much about the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clydes

I have just completed a fixie conversion for my son and this is the story

1. On Monday we bought a 2nd hand bike thro Donedeal.ie because Rothar didn't have one small enough. It was a very poor bike but the size was right.

2. Stripped it as far as I could and had to bring it to Rothar on Thursday. Fortunately for us we met Gareth - who is excellent. He has a home made tool for removing very stubborn cranks. He has an ingeneous method for removing seized BBs (by welding an axle to the cup to gain leverage). He gave us a list of parts and more importantly names of shops to source things he didn't have.

His experience and good humour was invaluable He realised this was a project for both my son and I and he respected that. Most of all his manner and patience was genuine and motivating.

3. We decided to use an old road wheel I had for the front and to build the rear based on a 2nd hand hub from Gareth. Over the next few days we bought the following
    2nd hand rim - €10 - Churchtown Cycles
    Spokes- €12.80 - Joe Daly Dundrum
    Cog - €12.50 - Joe Daly Dundrum
    Rear axle - €10 - UCD Bike Shop
    42T Crank, BB, pedals, toe clips, saddle clamp, chain, rim tape & 2 bolts -€45 - Cahill Bikes Naas

4. Built the wheel and fitted the BB, crank & pedals

5. Returned to Rothar the following Thrs where Gareth replaced the headset. We picked up a 2nd brake and lever. Exchanged handlebars and bought a new tyre. That night (last night) my son was riding the bike

I will not tell you the charge for Rothar because, based on my experiences with other shops, this is a not for profit service. This place is a fantastic facility and I would encourage anyone to use and support them. One word of waring though it is more suited to those who are not put off by first impressions.

We had great fun and really enjoyed the project and would certainly do it again.

What would I do differently next time;

i) Start with an indept conversation with the people in Rothar

ii) I'd buy the wheels from DHS Sport in Harolds X. They sell fully built fixed rear wheels (Novatec) for €45 - I spent more building mine using 2nd hand hub and rim. The also sell great value new cranks but they were too large (46T) for us. Thanks again for this Gareth

iii) Spend more time looking for a better (lighter) frame

iv) Discuss problems earlier with Rothar - they've seen it before and have some imaginative (homemade) solutions.

My son is having a ball and so are his mates - although it is still early days.

Finally neither I, my son nor anyone belonging to us has any connection either personal or commercial with Rothar or Gareth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Clydes wrote: »

1. On Monday we bought a 2nd hand bike thro Donedeal.ie because Rothar didn't have one small enough. It was a very poor bike but the size was right.

2. Stripped it as far as I could and had to bring it to Rothar on Thursday. Fortunately for us we met Gareth - who is excellent. He has a home made tool for removing very stubborn cranks. He has an ingeneous method for removing seized BBs (by welding an axle to the cup to gain leverage). He gave us a list of parts and more importantly names of shops to source things he didn't have.

His experience and good humour was invaluable He realised this was a project for both my son and I and he respected that. Most of all his manner and patience was genuine and motivating.

3. We decided to use an old road wheel I had for the front and to build the rear based on a 2nd hand hub from Gareth. Over the next few days we bought the following
    42T Crank, BB, pedals, toe clips, saddle clamp, chain, rim tape & 2 bolts -€45 - Cahill Bikes Naas

5. Returned to Rothar the following Thrs where Gareth replaced the headset. We picked up a 2nd brake and lever. Exchanged handlebars and bought a new tyre. That night (last night) my son was riding the bike

I will not tell you the charge for Rothar because, based on my experiences with other shops, this is a not for profit service. This place is a fantastic facility and I would encourage anyone to use and support them. One word of waring though it is more suited to those who are not put off by first impressions.

We had great fun and really enjoyed the project and would certainly do it again.

ii) I'd buy the wheels from DHS Sport in Harolds X. They sell fully built fixed rear wheels (Novatec) for €45 - I spent more building mine using 2nd hand hub and rim. The also sell great value new cranks but they were too large (46T) for us. Thanks again for this Gareth

iv) Discuss problems earlier with Rothar - they've seen it before and have some imaginative (homemade) solutions.

Finally neither I, my son nor anyone belonging to us has any connection either personal or commercial with Rothar or Gareth.

Great post. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

A fixy by law is supposed to have one brake.

Fixy can be built cheap if you can pick up an old Reynolds 531 butted frame set and take it from there. I have an old 70's Carlton Pro I must put together, need a cenelli sloped fork. .

Gears are bunk on a bicycle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Thanks for that clydes, i think i was talking to you the first day you were in. i was the one that told you we didnt have a frame small enough. Glad to hear you got everything sorted.
    As a note on the wheels in harolds x, from experience cheap hubs will strip their threads quite easily, i've just stripped my third one in about two years (granted i do skid stop). Saying that i've not used the particular ones you mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Just wondering - I've often seen the requirement for horizontal dropouts. Is this for perfecting tension on the chain or is there some other reason?

• Advertisement

Just wondering - I've often seen the requirement for horizontal dropouts. Is this for perfecting tension on the chain or is there some other reason?
    Exactly it, there are other possibilities for getting good chain tension ie eccentric hubs/bb but these are very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

http://trendland.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/fixie-bike.jpg

This ones cool apart from the crisp packets or whatever.

Not necessarily that colour either.

http://www.highsnobiety.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_kidrobot_fixie_1.jpg.jpg

That one is more like it, but they have no brakes see?

Sorry they are just vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

abcdggs wrote: »
    Exactly it, there are other possibilities for getting good chain tension ie eccentric hubs/bb but these are very expensive.
    It may not be obvious but perfecting tension on the chain is very important on a fixed gear- if the chain is too tight it will grind in a nasty way and put wear on your components but more particularly if it is too loose it will fall off. The derailleurs on a geared bike that keep the chain from doing this but you don't have them on a fixed gear.

BostonB wrote: »
    Sorry they are just vile.

LOL

Thats what I want ;)

Deadly thanks,

I sent an e-mail and might try ringing rothar today too so I can get into this sooner.

LOL

Thats what I want ;)

Its been posted before but.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭it's mick

there are cheaper options too. this is my favourite
    attachment.php?attachmentid=17566&stc=1&d=1189540866

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I don't think fixies are particularly expensive: for my new commuter I've a choice between a 2001 Nissan Micra at €3,950.00 or this *brand new* fixie , at €3350.28 : no brainer, and spending money left over!

• Advertisement

rp wrote: »
    I don't think fixies are particularly expensive: for my new commuter I've a choice between a 2001 Nissan Micra at €3,950.00 or this *brand new* fixie , at €3350.28 : no brainer, and spending money left over!

When you put it like that, I was a fool to think them expensive. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

While reading your post I began to get a strange sense of Deja-vu when I realised I was in rothar when you first went in and overheard the whole exchange. His home made gear was pretty cool and It did dawn on me that he was incredibly helpful with sourcing the stuff you'd need. I even followed his advice to you and picked up the crank at DHS. Glad to hear you got everything up and running so quickly, I inevitably try to figure stuff out on my own and end up getting the wrong parts. :)

Thats nice in fairness. The bike obviously.

Any idea how they tension the Chain/Belt thing? is it a matter of moving the whole dropout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Any idea how they tension the Chain/Belt thing? is it a matter of moving the whole dropout?
    Yes, it uses an eccentric rear dropout. Note with belt drives you have to be able to break the frame somewhere in the rear as you can't split and join a belt, it comes in one piece so you need to take the frame apart to install a new one. On the flip side I believe they last a lot longer than chains, don't need oil and are less sensitive to lack of maintenance.

The bike though has a bit of an identity crisis as a drop-bar road racer with 55/22 and a freewheel, not fixed (is fixed belt possible?) If the ratio could be upped, it could be fixed and I had oodles of money though...

Trek%20Carbon%20District%20-%20sprocket.preview_500.jpg

http://road.cc/content/news/16204-just-trek-district-carbon

blorg wrote: »
    Yes, it uses an eccentric rear dropout. Note with belt drives you have to be able to break the frame somewhere in the rear as you can't split and join a belt, it comes in one piece so you need to take the frame apart to install a new one. On the flip side I believe they last a lot longer than chains, don't need oil and are less sensitive to lack of maintenance.

The bike though has a bit of an identity crisis as a drop-bar road racer with 55/22 and a freewheel, not fixed (is fixed belt possible?) If the ratio could be upped, it could be fixed and I had oodles of money though...

http://road.cc/content/news/16204-just-trek-district-carbon
    Thanks, thats the exact picture i was looking for.
    Do you know if those belts have been used with a fixed drivetrain or are most SS.

I came across this while looking for images of the other dropouts and it looks like you tension it by moving the dropouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

Belt driven fixed is fine, sure if you think of it they use them on motorbikes and stuff.

steinone wrote: »
    Belt driven fixed is fine, sure if you think of it they use them on motorbikes and stuff.
    Hadn't known that, thanks
    Are there specific hubs for belt driven hubs like bolt on cog hubs and standard track hubs, or is it just a matter of changing cog and chainring?

Edit:
    some extra questions after reflection-
    -what are the possibilities for changing belts? (can it be taken apart or does the rear triangle have to come apart or something)
    -how easy is it to change belt length ie for changing gear ratios?

Well I am assuming that there is a bolt on system as well as a screw on, technically yes, you can just change them over but you will need to have a coupling on your frame something like this on the seatstay.
    Something I was thinking of is sliding dropouts, if there is designs where you can remove it slot the belt through.

Something I was thinking of is sliding dropouts, if there is designs where you can remove it slot the belt through.

Looks like trek have done it here.

Looks like a good idea but the lack of options for retro fitting bikes seems limiting. Are you the same stein from dfgss? Do you sell belt driven bikes in the shop? Wouldn't mind taking a look first hand

I am indeed, somehow someone had Stein taken when I signed up ages ago.

Nah we dont sell belt driven bikes, the brands we sell dont really do them much plus they are a pain in the ass to stock, if you want to change ratio you will need a new belt, that means we will need belts for the stock ratios on the bikes plus ones that have been changed.
    A nice idea but I dont find chains that bad really..
    Take care of your bike/chain and it will take care of you :D

• Advertisement

A nice idea but I dont find chains that bad really..
    Take care of your bike/chain and it will take care of you :D

I agree but in the interest of progress i'm willing to keep an open mind

Advertisement