Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short Non-Cruiser Style bikes

• 17-09-2010 8:44pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's that time again, when the short-legged tree needs to find a new motorbike. So the CBF250 was excellent (until stolen by mean people) though slightly too high, and the brother's lovely bandit is slightly too high too.
    Any suggestions for something a little shorter? (and dear jesus no cruisers, they're horrid yokes) (oh and 250cc +)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Cbf slightly too big? That's a small bike!
    Joking aside, the r6/gixxer6 are compact enough and light, albeit heavier than the cbr.
    Sports bikes would be it, given cruisers are out and enduro would be tall.
    I remember something about the BMW f650 (the single cylinder one) having a particularly low or adjustable seat. That's a BMW though...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

SV650 - Mate had one and I remember thinking it was tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Yamaha fzr ex up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭rock22

Some manufactures provide low seat options. BMW for one, so it might be worth looking out for a bike which can be modified that way.
    CB500, ER5. GS500 ( all 500 twins ) are relatively low, probably about the same as CB250.
    The SV650 is not low, I know I tried it, but it can be modified with a lower rear suspension. Might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

You can change the dog bones and spring on most multiple linked bikes and drop them
    The er6 is nice and low that's what the wife drives and shes 5'4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I think a BMW F 800 ST would be a great bike for you.

Pros:
    - seat hight 760mm (your Honda had a seat hight of 780mm)
    - Belt drive (no more messing around with a chain)
    - the fuel fill point is on the side of the bike, just under the seat (again, easy for a shorter person to fill the bike)
    - Power (even though it only has 62.5 kw, this bike can move - so enough power for the M50, but not soo much that it will frighten you)

Cons:
    - price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Try a Suzuki GSX 400 Impulse, I'm a short-arse and I have one, works a treat! Saw one on Ebay.co.uk recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NitroHead91

Give a hornet 250 a try, or even the hornet 600. They are quite compact, the 250 and th 600 have the same size chasis, just the engine blocks are different

Although they aint much different than your cbf250

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Cheers to all for suggestions. apart from P.C.... i am tall enough to fill the tank with petrol thanks :P (well, thanks anyway like)

Tree wrote: »
    Cheers to all for suggestions. apart from P.C.... i am tall enough to fill the tank with petrol thanks :P (well, thanks anyway like)

So, you going to buy the Beemer then... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Just get a pair of these:

41NCBEdph8L._AA280_.jpg

You might have to adjust your gear lever first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The Ducati Monster is designed specifically for people who's legs don't go all the way up. Even my gerbil could ride one of those and he's not very big at all.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You could go onto the websites to get an idea of seat height based on the current spec.

The shortest Suzuki at the moment is the Gladius which has a seat height of 810 mm. The Hornet is 800 mm. The Er-6 is 785 mm. The F800 ST can be reduced to 760 mm.

EDIT: The Yamaha XJ6 Diversion has a seat height of 785 mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

The Ducati Monster is designed specifically for people who's legs don't go all the way up. Even my gerbil could ride one of those and he's not very big at all.

'cptr
    mmm... I'm 5'4 and tried a Monster 600 once for size. I couldn't reach the ground, couldn't even get my toes flat on the ground.
    The er6 was a little tall also. I sat on a 650gs recently and it was very comfortable. The fact that the petrol tank is under the seat makes it very easy to stand up. I work with a guy with a CB500 and I can barely reach the ground when sitting on that too.
    I think a lot of the problem can be with the width of the saddle. If the saddle is wide on a short bike it can counter the effect of having a lower saddle.

I tried standing up an fjr recently too.... that was sooo funny! I couldn't get my legs around the saddle! It was like trying to do the splits with armoured gear on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/range/classics/bonneville/2010/bonneville

there's a beauty for ya!

i want a new sprint myself....and i want my wife to stay......:(

decisions decisions:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭horse7

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You could go onto the websites to get an idea of seat height based on the current spec.

The shortest Suzuki at the moment is the Gladius which has a seat height of 810 mm. The Hornet is 800 mm. The Er-6 is 785 mm. The F800 ST can be reduced to 760 mm.

EDIT: The Yamaha XJ6 Diversion has a seat height of 785 mm
    where can i buy/look at a gladius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MargeS wrote: »
    The er6 was a little tall also.

Can't speak for the rest but you can get a lower profile seat and drop the rear suspension on the er6. Makes a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Just a Q to the OP.

Are you used to having both feet on the ground when stopped? I think a lot of people tend to get into this 'bad' habit. If you are short of leg, a better habit is to keep the right foot on the back brake and slightly lean off to the LHS just a little bit. It should make more bikes available though obviously within reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

cantdecide wrote: »
    Just a Q to the OP.

Are you used to having both feet on the ground when stopped? I think a lot of people tend to get into this 'bad' habit. If you are short of leg, a better habit is to keep the right foot on the back brake and slightly lean off to the LHS just a little bit. It should make more bikes available though obviously within reason.

She can barely get one foot on the ground :D

anywhere i can view a suzuki gladius.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    where can i buy/look at a gladius.

That bike shop with the big windows on the Long Mile Road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

KamiKazi wrote: »
    She can barely get one foot on the ground :D
    i hate to admit, but the boy is right...
    i can barely get on the cbf with the side stand down, i have to kick it up so i can lean the bike a bit further...

i can barely get on the cbf with the side stand down, i have to kick it up so i can lean the bike a bit further...

So, what have you bought?

Only a few more months, and then we will be out for a Wednesday evening spin.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bike show is on in NEC in 5 weeks time: Ryanair back and over for €28. And you can see everybike, from everybody !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

P.C. wrote: »
    So, what have you bought?

Only a few more months, and then we will be out for a Wednesday evening spin.
    nothing yet :(
    im kinda of in bits atm, so im not sure if i'd be able to get on to a monkey bike :(
    stupid leg and feets stuff

P.C. wrote: »
    That bike shop with the big windows on the Long Mile Road.
    does it have a name.

does it have a name.

Bikeworld.

thanks,looked at their web page and seems to link to a uk one.will call in.can you give me a few basics,i have a full bike liscence from about 40 years ago,can i drive on that,is the annual tax 21euro for all bikes,and can you get comp insurance on a bike. also can i buy a new bike in the north without the tax and pay the tax in ireland plus the vrt,or maybe a 6 month old one and pay the vrt,would there be any savings?

• Advertisement

thanks,looked at their web page and seems to link to a uk one.will call in.can you give me a few basics,i have a full bike liscence from about 40 years ago,can i drive on that,is the annual tax 21euro for all bikes,and can you get comp insurance on a bike. also can i buy a new bike in the north without the tax and pay the tax in ireland plus the vrt,or maybe a 6 month old one and pay the vrt,would there be any savings?

Maybe you should make a thread of your own instead of hijacking this one ;)

Advertisement