Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Info please

• 17-09-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi My family and I (wife and 2 YO daughter) are going to be moving to Waterford in the next few months, and would be grateful for any info, opinions and advice; good or bad.

We are quite a young (ish) family 38 and 35 and 2 years old and are English, although we have only lived in England for 4 of the last 15 years.

I was wondering how Irish people living in Waterford feel about a couple of Brits moving there. On our travels we have met many Irish people and can honestly say they were all great people with a great sense of humour like ourselves.

We would be looking to move to an area just outside Waterford city maybe within 15 miles, so Is there any areas to be recommended or avoided? We were thinking Tramore, Don't know why?

What is the current employment market like? I have done many jobs in my time, mainly unskilled factory work, market trader and have been a teacher of English to foreign students. I am at the moment a taxi driver and hate it. I am not work shy and will do most things.

Are there good primary and secondary schools in the area?

Is childcare expensive, say for a few days per week?

How long does it take to drive from Dublin? (ferry) We will be visiting soon!

What is the local newspaper that lists jobs in the area?

Are most jobs through an agency?

Thanks in advance

Jon, Lisa and Lola

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

You will be very welcome in Waterford.

With so many questions im sure this is going to be a long thread :)

I will answer two questions,since the new motorway from Waterford to Dublin opened last week,it will take 90 minutes now to get to Dublin,and the munster express will have the most jobs in it also the news & star and a few in the Waterford today,or look on FASor irishjobs they are many agencies here,but to be honest not much work around these days,but best of luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you are in Dublin now its hard to see what you'll gain by moving down (apart from a less frantic environment of course), if you still have decent links with England you might be wiser to move back from an economic POV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jongarrod

mike65 wrote: »
    If you are in Dublin now its hard to see what you'll gain by moving down (apart from a less frantic environment of course), if you still have decent links with England you might be wiser to move back from an economic POV.

Thanks but we are moving from England:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right, I really would have thought your chances would be better over there. How familiar are you with Ireland, we're not cheap to live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Work prospects are not good, as another poster said, you would be better over there - Irish people are emigrating as there simply is not work at the moment, and it looks as though it could get worse before it gets better. Whether living is really more expensive here I am not sure. Groceries can be dearer, but there is no poll tax or rates (I know its not called poll tax now, but you know what I mean). Housing is expensive even though house prices have gone down, and in fact Waterford is one of the cheaper parts of the country.

The schools and medical care are good on the whole, but again we will have to wait and see what happens in the budget to know whether they will be cut back even tighter than they are.

Tramore would be a good choice if you did come, as it has a very varied population, with a lot of 'blow-ins', and is a safe and pleasant town. Irish people would mostly not react to your Englishness one way or the other, but there can be a generalised undercurrent of anti-Brit from a minority of people. Its not a significant problem though and the vast majority are easygoing and not concerned about nationality.

Honestly though, you would not want to completely burn your bridges if you came, finding work could be a major issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

No work as has been stated, alot of people are actually leaving the country, although saying that, you probably stand as much chance of getting work here as you do in England as,as far as I can see we're all in the same olde boat of ****e.

Honestly though I wouldn't move over with out trying to source jobs first as,had been stated, there's not much work going.Have done similar myself to other countries and it ended with me burning through my savings and moving home.

Typical example of the job situation can be seen in various stories that have thousands of people applying for jobs in mcdonalds or where ever. To get an idea of what waterford is like you should check out the local radio stations website for nes and I think they have podcasts as well.The station is called WLR FM.
    Tramor is a lovely part of the country and would highly reecommend it.Lovely spot for surfing and the beach is clean and never really hear much about crime ion the area. Loads to do for the kids and form what I've seen over the years there's a good community spirit there if you want to get involved with stuff.Good place for a young family. We were planning on moving there our selves but things went against us in the end and ended up else where.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and hope every thing works out for the best. Keep us all informed on whats going on, cause I'm a nosey fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bubbles89

Tramore is a very nice place but can get VERY busy during the summer as many tourists visit the area every year.

Other places to consider might be dunmore (kind of a local fishing village/town), Mooncoin (in Kilkenny) etc.

There are also a few good schools in my opinion such as the Mercy and the Ursuline for girls and for boys De La Salle (very big school).

Best of luck anyway :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

jongarrod wrote: »

I was wondering how Irish people living in Waterford feel about a couple of Brits moving there. On our travels we have met many Irish people and can honestly say they were all great people with a great sense of humour like ourselves.
    Plenty of people raised in England now living in Waterford (most had Irish parents or married an Irish person). You can expect some friendly banter if England are playing soccer.
    We would be looking to move to an area just outside Waterford city maybe within 15 miles, so Is there any areas to be recommended or avoided? We were thinking Tramore, Don't know why?
    There are a few nearby towns. Dunmore is probably nicer, but Tramore has better connections.
    What is the current employment market like? I have done many jobs in my time, mainly unskilled factory work, market trader and have been a teacher of English to foreign students. I am at the moment a taxi driver and hate it. I am not work shy and will do most things.
    The situation is bad :(
    Are there good primary and secondary schools in the area?
    Yes.
    How long does it take to drive from Dublin? (ferry) We will be visiting soon!
    About 2 hours on the new motorway. But you can take the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare too. Rosslare is closer to Waterford.
    What is the local newspaper that lists jobs in the area?
    Waterford Today
    Waterford News and Star
    Munster Express

Meatwad gave a good suggestion about listening to local radio to get a feel of the place. There is a morning show hosted by Billy McCarthy from 10 to 12. Its mainly bored housewives ringing in saying 'oh Billy, the Corporation didn't collect the bins today, and I was on holidays the past 2 weeks, so I don't know what to do with the rubbish, I don't know what to do', while sobbing into the phone. It would give you some sort of feel for the place though.

Also here is a good site to let you know whats going on socially in Waterford.
    http://www.discoverwaterfordcity.ie/

Just curious why you picked Waterford? Have you family here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

bubbles89 wrote: »
    Tramore is a very nice place but can get VERY busy during the summer as many tourists visit the area every year.

Other places to consider might be dunmore (kind of a local fishing village/town), Mooncoin (in Kilkenny) etc.

There are also a few good schools in my opinion such as the Mercy and the Ursuline for girls and for boys De La Salle (very big school).

Best of luck anyway :-)

Tramore is busy in the summer, but if you live here you don't really have to get involved with the crowds at the beach, I don't really notice any difference between winter and summer in terms of crowds, except that its nice to go for a walk on the beach in good off-season weather. I can't agree about Dunmore East, nice village certainly, but it is busy in the summer, much more congested in the actual village.

Advertisement