Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to strip paint off door frames?

• 17-09-2010 9:17pm
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi folks,

am replacing, flooring, 9 doors and all archtrive in 30 year old house. I was going for a wood finish. The original door frames are painted white and are a bit worn so I will have to change them as well.
    However, this is a lot of work and someone suggested to me to leave the frames and to strip the paint off them. I could have the archtrive slightly further toward the door and this would save me having to strip too much from the front flush with the wall.
    But, I do not know if its possible to strip door frames so easily?

So, my question is does anyone have experience with doing this or can offer any advice?

Thanks in advance,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you've got that many door frames to do, then buy yourself a heat gun and it'll take off 98% of the paint. Get a belt sander and give them a rub, then finish with an orbital sander.

Be warned though, it can be tedious, especially when there's 9 frames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

you should try paint stripper . old stuff comes of very easily after applied . messy as hell though

I dont think you will get a good result no matter what you try. I take it you want a varnished finish. .

for the price of new stuff versus the labour you are suggesting . I would buy new timber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

I would agree with gsxr1 ive renovated a couple of old houses, by teh time youve cleaned, filled and snded its probably cheaper to replace and a lot less tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

gsxr1 wrote: »
    you should try paint stripper . old stuff comes of very easily after applied . messy as hell though

Depends on how many layers of paint are on the frames, you could end up doing a couple of coats before its down to the wood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

By the time you have one frame stripped, sanded filled and varnished, the cost of labour and materials used will be close to the cost of new ones.

What about painting the frames and varnishing the doors?

That way the skirtings are painted as well which tends to make the wooden floor a feature by framing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement