Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PPI Nominations 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bard wrote: »

Awards for everyone!

The mere fact that Claire Byrne gets a nomination shows these awards up for the joke that they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I can't take these seriously at all. Oisin Langan, Sports Broadcaster of the year - his show was axed months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The mere fact that Claire Byrne gets a nomination shows these awards up for the joke that they are
    I have to agree that this nomination completely demeans the awards. Laughable in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Tony Fentons show even being nominated? He never deviates from a core playlist of 20 songs. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Nightwish wrote: »
    Tony Fentons show even being nominated? He never deviates from a core playlist of 20 songs. Ever.
    My thoughts exactly...was wondering why he is in the category for Music!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Magpie87

Is there a sniping radio forum poster category ? I have a few nominations to make ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Magpie87 wrote: »
    Is there a sniping radio forum poster category ? I have a few nominations to make ?

How are the nominations made? is there a central judging panel, or do the stations put their own noms forward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

No Donal Dineen in the special music category??

What the hell is Paul McLoone doing in there? That show is awful stuff since Tom Dunne left.

All the man does is boast about his music taste which is average at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The PPI Radio Awards Committee, and I assume the judging panel is listed on the website. It is made up almost entirely of radio station bosses. Perhaps more of an independent viewpoint would give the awards greater validity and would make them more interesting to those who are not in the industry.

http://www.ppiradioawards.com/index.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BrianDaly

tbh wrote: »
    How are the nominations made? is there a central judging panel, or do the stations put their own noms forward?

Each station will put forward entries into each category/sub category. The judging is by various folks in the industry. The entry consists of a written and audio element.

I think there is scope for a "peoples choice" award in some categories but there is a problem as not every station, programme or broadcaster can be heard in every part of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Awards for everyone!

Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

The awards are really a joke... Look how many community based stations are even shortlisted?? Probably none.... why?? I wonder has it anything to do with the fact that most of them don't subscribe to the PPI.... RTE should have good programmes seeing the amount of staff they have to produce and research... I met a person from 2fm today that was moaning htat she had to produce a programme that wans't hers because someone was away... she said it was due to cutbacks, I say, welcome to the real world... try working in a community station....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Where's Moncreiff on the list?
    Should it be under magazine type show?
    Best radio show with by far.

Caledonman wrote: »
    The awards are really a joke... Look how many community based stations are even shortlisted?? Probably none.... why?? I wonder has it anything to do with the fact that most of them don't subscribe to the PPI.... RTE should have good programmes seeing the amount of staff they have to produce and research... I met a person from 2fm today that was moaning htat she had to produce a programme that wans't hers because someone was away... she said it was due to cutbacks, I say, welcome to the real world... try working in a community station....

The PPI Awards are open to all licenced terrestrial radio broadcasters in Ireland from community stations up to nationals. All broadcasters including community stations have to have a PPI licence so everyone is a PPI customer (though larger stations obviously pay more than smaller ones).

There's a wealth of good programming produced by the community sector evevry year and I'm sure the PPI wouldn't turn away anybody who has ideas on how to encourage entries from tis sector.

BrianDaly wrote: »
    The PPI Awards are open to all licenced terrestrial radio broadcasters in Ireland from community stations up to nationals. All broadcasters including community stations have to have a PPI licence so everyone is a PPI customer (though larger stations obviously pay more than smaller ones).

There's a wealth of good programming produced by the community sector evevry year and I'm sure the PPI wouldn't turn away anybody who has ideas on how to encourage entries from tis sector.

My point really is that it is not a level playing field.. Radio in RTE is quite different to a community based station where in RTE they have excessive amounts of staff, and could have 3 or 4 people producing a programme. Listen to Tubbridy thanking his staff... Also, PPI charge 100 euro per entry, for what?? What is the cost of listening to a recording?? Also, in many community stations people have to pay themselves to be nominated, not the case in RTE, Today Fm, Newstalk and so on. Of course the quality of production in a community station may be lower (staffing issue again). It would be nice to see some of the smaller stations get recognised. I would like to see how many of the stations above produce a programme on a zero budget!! Look who is on the judging panel... RTE, 2fm, Newstalk, RTE Lyric, RTE Radio 1, Today FM, RTE Radio Na Gaeltacht, ...... need I say anymore??

I should have added, I take your point about ideas to the PPI... Community Radio awards section for Community Radio would be enough..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Can someone confirm what i think. FM 104 only got 2 nominations.

Caledonman wrote: »
    My point really is that it is not a level playing field.. Radio in RTE is quite different to a community based station where in RTE they have excessive amounts of staff, and could have 3 or 4 people producing a programme. Listen to Tubbridy thanking his staff... Also, PPI charge 100 euro per entry, for what?? What is the cost of listening to a recording?? Also, in many community stations people have to pay themselves to be nominated, not the case in RTE, Today Fm, Newstalk and so on. Of course the quality of production in a community station may be lower (staffing issue again). It would be nice to see some of the smaller stations get recognised. I would like to see how many of the stations above produce a programme on a zero budget!! Look who is on the judging panel... RTE, 2fm, Newstalk, RTE Lyric, RTE Radio 1, Today FM, RTE Radio Na Gaeltacht, ...... need I say anymore??

I accept what you are saying in that larger broadcasters are well resourced both in personnel and technology. At the same time, A national broadcaster is obliged to cover many topics and issues accross the nation and hence the larger staff. A community broadcaster is generally going to cover issues or topics that are within the community or very pertinant to that locaility and this won't require the big staff counts of the large stations.

On the technology front, production tools and equipment have become cheaper and cheaper. If anything the cost of producing programming of good technical quality and standards has fallen.

I do accept that the cost of entry may be a barrier to entry for communiy stations. All stations do have to pay the fee per entry and most stations will put in more entries than the ones that they end up being short listed for. I can't speak for the PPI but I'm sure they would enertain suggestions from the community sector on how to increase entry from that sector.

Advertisement