Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHEAT BEER

Options
  • 17-09-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

came home from work today and all activity in the airlock has stopped. bear in mind it only started thursday evening. moved the fermenter anyway to bedroom and wrapped it with a duvet, temp holding at 24 degrees as opposed to 26 in hotpress. dont know if its stopped fermenting now or not. took sg reading and its 1020, started at 1048. should i be concerned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

How did you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 FUD MAN

got on ok. i tried a few on saturday night with my friend and have to say they tasted quite nice. only thing was i dont think they were that strong considering we intended to have about 4 each and then ended up having 8 each (half litre bottles). wasnt really drunk but tipsy. not that thats a problem, its nice to be able to have a few beers without getting pissed! think maybe one of the problems was i didnt rehydrate the yeast which i now realise i should have done! not too dissapointed though because as i said the taste is quite nice. going to try it again when this batch runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Rehydrating the yeast would have no bearing on alcohol strength. The reason you are recommended to rehydrate is that it activates the yeast faster. That means that your yeast will get a foothold before any wild yeast can start replicating.

I sometimes rehydrate but to be honest, it is not necessary and I often just sprinkle it in.

If you did not hit your target gravity at the end then that is why you have less alcohol than expected. Getting your finishing gravity can be difficult.

A bit of a light shake or gentle stir can sometimes wake the yeast up and they finish the job.

Advertisement