Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GATSO Van

• 17-09-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭

Just to give a heads up...

Saw a new Gatso van outside the post boxes on the Dock road last Wednesday evening, and this evening it was outside the halting site on the dual carraigeway to Shannon. Its a 60kmh strech so be careful- I crawled past and it certainly looks like a gatso.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

A white van that needs a wash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

OwenM wrote: »
    A white van that needs a wash?

It was a white transit van but didnt look like it needed a wash to be honest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Possibly the D reg van with leaseplan written around the number plate and a big picture of a camera on the back door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

No markings, plain white and a bit dirty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

They can look like this with the full markings

Image939.jpg

Or they can look like this without markings

GatsoVan.jpg

GatsoVan2.jpg

Sorry about the reflection but you get the idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Just to give a heads up...

Saw a new Gatso van outside the post boxes on the Dock road last Wednesday evening, and this evening it was outside the halting site on the dual carraigeway to Shannon. Its a 60kmh strech so be careful- I crawled past and it certainly looks like a gatso.

Sh*te, passed that on Wednesday night was wondering if it was one. Not sure of my speed, but probably over. These things can obviously seen in the effin' dark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I see the gatso van in those photos parked on double yellow lines/bus stop. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭manna452121

Just an update:van parked at Kildimo for most of yesterday,Red transit,10 KY reg,no other markings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Just an update:van parked at Kildimo for most of yesterday,Red transit,10 KY reg,no other markings.

That's not a Garda Gatso though is it? Am almost sure I read on the Emergency Services Forum here that they are all D Reg's?

- Think they are renovating the new Hairdressers Salon there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Your right its not a Garda van at all. Speed detection has been privatised since the start of the month. The vans can be any make, colour or reg. So if you see any van parked at the side of the road it would be wise you are doing the speed limit passing it.

• Advertisement

Bravo, Bravo Mike, Roger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭manna452121

Spoke to a local man who walked past the van a saw the camera and computer system inside.

Spoke to a local man who walked past the van a saw the camera and computer system inside.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkTCFcAqqlc1-Buf9Zc3ccK3S6xAbx_mB9oX4N2TWxkGL5EBg&t=1&usg=__qmLz09lK4mQaBRafcwlEm93WmYY=

Jesus.

That goes against the Garda stock advice not to leave valuables in view in your Vehicle.

- Best thing to do would be to tape a black bin liner over the back window or something - help them out like......

:D

Here you.

Every GATSO Location in the Country

http://www.garda.ie/sez/Limerick.aspx#map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

think I spotted one out near rathkeale on the limerick bound lane today..

edit: sure enough, its on the list of possible spots. everyone would do well to study that list thoroughly.

zuroph wrote: »
    think I spotted one out near rathkeale on the limerick bound lane today..

It's illegal to park in the hard shoulder so any fines incurred would be void if that's where it was parked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Berty wrote: »
    It's illegal to park in the hard shoulder so any fines incurred would be void if that's where it was parked.

It was well up onto the grass verge, I noted that. Certain its one now. Even suspicious looking right hand rear window.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cloud89

I'd say i was got yesterday by Rathkeale too, awh hate those things. I'd say the goverment shall make a fortune on fines from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Berty wrote: »
    Here you.

Every GATSO Location in the Country

http://www.garda.ie/sez/Limerick.aspx#map

Some of those locations are dual carrage ways:
    eg. LengthFromToRoad/Name4kmLimerickPortdrineRural N18

How is this targeting unsafe locations? Any cameras here are there just to make money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Twin-go wrote: »

How is this targeting unsafe locations? Any cameras here are there just to make money!

Heres a ground breaking idea that will save you a fortune....STICK TO THE SPEED LIMIT:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

So you think it's safe to break the speed limit on a dual carrigeway?

heybaby wrote: »
    Heres a ground breaking idea that will save you a fortune....STICK TO THE SPEED LIMIT:D

I have no problem sticking to the limit. But the vast majority of road deaths don't happen on dual carrage ways. They should be targeting the roads that are known black spots.

If they want to target carrage ways and motorways the should put patrol cars on them and catch the idiots who tailgate, talk on hand held phones and drive too slow. No GATSO van is going to stop this type of bad driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I have no problem sticking to the limit. But the vast majority of road deaths don't happen on dual carrage ways. They should be targeting the roads that are known black spots.

If they want to target carrage ways and motorways the should put patrol cars on them and catch the idiots who tailgate, talk on hand held phones and drive too slow. No GATSO van is going to stop this type of bad driving.

Road safety is clearly not a priority of the gardai (in fact I dont know what is). They should be targeting all forms of poor behaviour but ''clearly resources are too stretched'' to do so.

Indiots indulge in poor road behaviour because its unlikely they'll get caught and even if they do, the penalty is minimal. It is a sad fact that the authorities despite their bleating accept a certain number of road deaths a year are inevitable (still far too high in my opinion).

With the use of technology the numbers killed on our roads could be reduced to a quarter of what it currently is, very quickly, and the idiots abusing their ability to drive would quickly either be put off the road or alter their behaviour.

Gatso vans, be they placed on the wrong stretch of road or not simply serve to highlight the inconsistent nature of the gardai's / government's approach to road safety, which is at best, deeply flawed. I find it very frustrating myself having to share the nations roads with some people who through their actions behind the wheel, demonstrate their contempt for the lives of other road users. However, i have to remind myself that the only persons behaviour i can influence is my own.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

There have been plenty of fatal accidents on that stretch of road from Rathkeale to Adare so I don't think it's unreasonable to have speed checks there.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    There have been plenty of fatal accidents on that stretch of road from Rathkeale to Adare so I don't think it's unreasonable to have speed checks there.

I didn't mention that road:confused:

The one I mentioned was the the N18 Ennis road Dual Carrage way.

I have no problem with Cameras on roads that are known to be dangerous.

But, they should be there as a deterant to speeding. On dual carrage ways IMHO they are they for the soul purpose of generating Revenue.

That section of the N18 would be a motorway where it not for the houses that have direct access to it at Cratloe. So is it fare for a GATSO to be parked here and send out Fixed Penalty notices and Points for going 10km/h over the limit.

Motorway and Dual carrage ways are the safest roads in the country. Yes the need to be policed but is GATSO the answer?

Single lane N and R roads on the other hand seem to be where the majority of fatalities happen. Inappropriate speed on these roads leaves no margin for error. They need to focus on making these roads safer along with more policing.

The vast majority of speed traps I have come accross in my 10 years driving have been on Dual carrage ways. This in my opinion is to generate revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 griangraf

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]http://www.garda.ie/sez/Limerick.aspx#map

From the Garda Website :D
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I have never understood the Irish attitude to evading the law.

Speed kills. That has been scientifically proven. These vans are there to catch and fine speedsters. This may have the efect of getting people to reduce their speed.

If this is at least part of the Gardai's motive then why would so many posters go to the trouble of telling others how to avoid these speed traps. The drivers you are helping may crash into you.

I have found the same with people flashing their lights at oncoming traffic to alert them to the fact that their is a Garda checkpoint ahead. The driver witout insurance or who has been drinking can then avoid the checkpoint and go on to kill or maim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Speed kills. That has been scientifically proven.

eh no, speed doesn't kill. its the stop that can kill :D

purely a money making exercise dressed up to look like they want to change the driving habits. 10km over the limit on a wide road and you can get nabbed but 10km under the limit on some of our horribly pot holed and twisty bendy roads and you could get killed. Spend the money on upgrading our road surfaces and also on getting rid of learners driving unsupervised, on the hundreds still driving around while on the phone and on the hundreds in unsafe cars and then the roads could be far safer. All too often gardai leave off with a warning learners driving unsupervised. If there were serious about road safety this would be an easy one to monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ligind

Speed Traps and Gatso vans on Dual Carriageways are purely a money making / quota filling excercise and have nothing to do with safety.

Some of the 60kph and 80 kph zones appear quite arbitrary , there was a 50mph zone around cratloe for years which is now a 100 kph zone and nothing has changed.

I dont really follow the logic of where someone doing 70/80/90/100 kph on a 60 kph zone on a dual carriageway is presumed to be more dangerous than someone doing 100kph down a twisty country road which has a 100 kph limit.

Advertisement