Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GATSO Van

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

heybaby wrote: »
    Heres a ground breaking idea that will save you a fortune....STICK TO THE SPEED LIMIT:D

The Private Company & Gardai have said that they will be monitoring areas where 85% of people speed.

If 85% of people speed then the council should recheck the speed limits.

Take the R513 Newport Roundabout to Newport. The speed limit varies along this stretch but is more confusing at one point, by the Salt Pits(quarry). This is the widest stretch of the road for 55kms yet the speed limit is 60kph along this entire stretch and WHERE do the Gardai put up their speed checks? Exactly.

Bollocks I say!

Ok its an old picture but its fully tarred and lined now. 60kph my arse!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=r513+limerick+ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.732051,93.076172&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=R513,+County+Limerick,+Ireland&ll=52.69023,-8.4778&spn=0.015269,0.045447&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.69023,-8.4778&panoid=yS3XTr8kEhqiATF4SbAT5w&cbp=12,53.9,,0,12.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭manna452121

Look at the Condell Rd with a bus lane,two new sets of traffic lights and a speed limit of 50km.I have been passed by drivers and also undertaken by buses even when I was doing the correct speed.

In the UK they got the Gatso van registration number, made around 15 number plates and a bunch of lads spent most of the night passing by it over the speed limit.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The condell road is a joke. The extra set of lights and the new footpath will certainly prevent the limit from being raised. However, there is nowhere for them to safely park a gatso van there. It would stick out a mile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Berty wrote: »
    The Private Company & Gardai have said that they will be monitoring areas where 85% of people speed.

If 85% of people speed then the council should recheck the speed limits.

Take the R513 Newport Roundabout to Newport. The speed limit varies along this stretch but is more confusing at one point, by the Salt Pits(quarry). This is the widest stretch of the road for 55kms yet the speed limit is 60kph along this entire stretch and WHERE do the Gardai put up their speed checks? Exactly.

Bollocks I say!

Ok its an old picture but its fully tarred and lined now. 60kph my arse!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=r513+limerick+ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.732051,93.076172&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=R513,+County+Limerick,+Ireland&ll=52.69023,-8.4778&spn=0.015269,0.045447&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.69023,-8.4778&panoid=yS3XTr8kEhqiATF4SbAT5w&cbp=12,53.9,,0,12.99

Totally agreed. That specific speed limit was brought about due to a very few select locals bringing a petition to the council, which was based on pure hysteria and no facts.

• Advertisement

Totally agreed. That specific speed limit was brought about due to a very few select locals bringing a petition to the council, which was based on pure hysteria and no facts.

I asked the two local councillors and I was ignored. Go figure. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

kev2632 wrote: »
    I think its ridiculous how they are just plain white vans!!, over in Scotland they are white vans with a yellow fluorescent back door and a camera sign on it so you can see it well before you get near it,

They should have that here.

That's the whole argument about what the aim is.......
    • Are they a deterrent to prevent People from speeding?
    • Or is the intention to be hard to notice and then punish People for speeding?

- In this case as its been tendered out it is an absolute fact that there is a healthy interest in turning a profit too - So that rules out the whole deterrent side of things........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I've seen 3 or 4 now.. ugh, these things are gonna be everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭manna452121

Its Monday when they go live.

I have been very careful recently, even last night coming from Dublin airport home. I kept to the limit whereas normally I didn't.

It was 1am and there it was sitting by Ratcoole. Sneaky! :D

Seat Ibiza hoofed it passed and got flashed. It was freakin blinding. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

sorry for the marathon post but..... :o
    I've no problems with gatso vans or speed traps in any shape or form or whoever is operating gatso fans and making money from catching people out breaking the law even by a little bit. If your not breaking the law and if you are driving in a safe manner you have nothing to worry about.

If your NOT then you need to question your way of driving.

Their purpose to me is to catch people speeding and fine those who are, or act as a deterent in making poeple travel
    under the speed limit. If its a privite company that makes money from this or the goverment then so be it! you should not be driving over the limit in the first place.

People should not be driving over the speed limit in the first place. I keep hearing people in work say things like
    those bastards are only out to get quoata's and that they
    were only a bit over the limit, or they should have a le-way of 10% etc to me thats just bollox! the speed limit is there for a reason. Its the max your allowed to go. You should not by default assume that you should be aiming to travel at the Max limit all of the time. If the speed limit is for example is 100kph why do people feel the need to travel 100kph and worse still think that if they are ONLY a little over the limit that they should be let off if they are caught.
    If the speed limit is 100kph why cant Drivers say to themselves that they will aim to tavel at 70-80kph instead of trying to increase their speed to the max or a little over.
    Whats it going to save on your overall journey a few mins ?

Another thing I hear is people that say, OH I try to stick to
    the Limit on the ol moterway but its Hard when other poeple are overtaking me!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!! someone overtakes you and that cuases you to feel that you need to
    travel faster!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Why cant peoples mentality be that they should aim to keep UNDER the speed limit and not be at the edge or slightly over it.

I am totally disgusted and sickened with the attitude I often see with people I know when it comes to Road Safety.

I see people in work send emails warning people where
    to look out for speed traps and gatso vans etc.

That to me is saying wink wink nudge nudge we all break the law and here is information to help you not get caught.

If your Son/Daughter/Brother/Sister/husband/wife got killed in the morning by someone that was speeding in their car? would your attitude still be its perfectly OK to
    drive over the speed limit as long as you dont get caught ???

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Agree completely with Bullets, and it's the least sneaky thing I've ever seen when it comes to road traffic enforcement. They've even posted the locations on the internet.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590

bullets wrote: »
    If the speed limit is 100kph why cant Drivers say to themselves that they will aim to tavel at 70-80kph instead of trying to increase their speed to the max or a little over.

This is the exact problem. People driving too slow. You need to keep close to 100 KPH if the limit is 100 KPH, and the conditions suit, to go slower is conisdered lack of progress, and would fail you in your driving test. if people go slower they force the cars behind them to go slower, which leads to frustrated drivers, and dangerous overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

zuroph wrote: »
    This is the exact problem. People driving too slow. You need to keep close to 100 KPH if the limit is 100 KPH, and the conditions suit, to go slower is conisdered lack of progress, and would fail you in your driving test. if people go slower they force the cars behind them to go slower, which leads to frustrated drivers, and dangerous overtaking.

Drove back from Kerry this evening, coming against me on the Rathkeale bypass was a car doing what looked like about 70 Km/hr, behind this car was 30 other vehilces, I kid you not, my wife counted them. The bypass was built with a curve and junctions left and right so overtaking is difficult but the front car should be obliged to pull in and allow the vehicles that he is holding up to preceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

In response to Bullets post, sometimes it is difficult to keep under the speed limit. Take for example, you are doing a 100 kph, suddenly the road starts sloping downwards and your car automatically goes to 105/110 kph. We have to keep an eye on the road and every now and again we need to check our speed, This happens a lot on our roads. Especially at spots where it goes from a 100 to 80 to 60 to 50 very closely, rather than slowing down through the gears, we are forced to brake.

The other day driving from Inchicore towards the Naas dual carriageway it turns to a 60 limit for 100 yards, then 50 for maybe 70 yards then back to 60 again. The speed is not set properly for this stretch and folk who do not know the road can get caught in spots like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

if people go slower they force the cars behind them to go slower, which leads to frustrated drivers, and dangerous overtaking.

That's a load of crap - if drivers are overtaking dangerously it's down to them, not the person in front. I've seen this line thrown out way too much, especially wrt cyclists.

For progress on the straight you can only be marked for the following "Where an applicant stays too far back from the vehicle in front while driving along.". If there is no car in front, how can you be marked for failing to progress? Bearing in mind also, that driving tests mostly aimed at city driving, not on national roads (which is a shame)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you ever get stuck doing 60 kph in a zone with a 100kph limit, you'll understand exactly what he means. I've had it happen on stretches between Limerick and Tralee, and also on the road out towards Kilmallock. It's extremely frustrating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

foinse wrote: »
    Agree completely with Bullets, and it's the least sneaky thing I've ever seen when it comes to road traffic enforcement. They've even posted the locations on the internet.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590

If you look at that map it lists the Dublin Road out to Annacotty, the Ennis Road, the Clondel Road from the Clonmacken roundabout out and the N24 from Mulgrave St to the Ballysimon Rd out by O'Mara Motors.
    I don't care what they claim, with wthese location its is obviously only a money making racket as these are not accident blackspots.

I've had it too - but it doesn't mean I try to overtake dangerously, or would be justified in doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

concussion wrote: »
    That's a load of crap - if drivers are overtaking dangerously it's down to them, not the person in front. I've seen this line thrown out way too much, especially wrt cyclists.

For progress on the straight you can only be marked for the following "Where an applicant stays too far back from the vehicle in front while driving along.". If there is no car in front, how can you be marked for failing to progress? Bearing in mind also, that driving tests mostly aimed at city driving, not on national roads (which is a shame)

Its not down to them- its down to other drivers progressing far too slowly making the overtaking driver to become irate!

You would be marked for "speed" in the test for driving slow without due cause.
    An applicant should adjust speed to suit road conditions, traffic conditions, roundabouts, cross-junctions, turning right, turning left, and on the approach to traffic controls, or a fault may be recorded for 'Speed' as appropriate. Applicants should comply with the speed limit.

• Advertisement

'Speed' is failing to adjust your speed to take into accout hazards and changes in road conditions, 'progress' is the opposite. And like I said, only one of the mark downs for progress refers to 'driving along', the rest are specific to stop lines, turning etc.

I stand by what I said - others drivers going too slowly is certainly an annoyance, but if it causes you to be 'irate' and overtake dangerously then it most certainly is on you, not the slow driver.

People, Gardai and Councillors need to take into account the difference between

"Driving over the speed limit"
    &
    "Dangerous Speeding"

This is why the GTC use a 10% allowance for people "speeding".

Fix the speed limits with swift consultations, implement the speed limits in relation to the road itself and not to a few families who cannot keep their children from running into traffic on R roads.

In County Cork the County Council have made the N25 120kph and some of the R roads in West Cork are now 100kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bullets wrote: »
    sorry for the marathon post but..... :o
    I've no problems with gatso vans or speed traps in any shape or form or whoever is operating gatso fans and making money from catching people out breaking the law even by a little bit. If your not breaking the law and if you are driving in a safe manner you have nothing to worry about.

If your NOT then you need to question your way of driving.

Their purpose to me is to catch people speeding and fine those who are, or act as a deterent in making poeple travel
    under the speed limit. If its a privite company that makes money from this or the goverment then so be it! you should not be driving over the limit in the first place.

People should not be driving over the speed limit in the first place. I keep hearing people in work say things like
    those bastards are only out to get quoata's and that they
    were only a bit over the limit, or they should have a le-way of 10% etc to me thats just bollox! the speed limit is there for a reason. Its the max your allowed to go. You should not by default assume that you should be aiming to travel at the Max limit all of the time. If the speed limit is for example is 100kph why do people feel the need to travel 100kph and worse still think that if they are ONLY a little over the limit that they should be let off if they are caught.
    Whats it going to save on your overall journey a few mins ?

Another thing I hear is people that say, OH I try to stick to
    the Limit on the ol moterway but its Hard when other poeple are overtaking me!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!! someone overtakes you and that cuases you to feel that you need to
    travel faster!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Why cant peoples mentality be that they should aim to keep UNDER the speed limit and not be at the edge or slightly over it.

I am totally disgusted and sickened with the attitude I often see with people I know when it comes to Road Safety.

I see people in work send emails warning people where
    to look out for speed traps and gatso vans etc.

That to me is saying wink wink nudge nudge we all break the law and here is information to help you not get caught.

If your Son/Daughter/Brother/Sister/husband/wife got killed in the morning by someone that was speeding in their car? would your attitude still be its perfectly OK to
    drive over the speed limit as long as you dont get caught ???

~B

The problem with that is that it's entirely unrelated to road safety and entirely focussed on speed limits. The 2 are rarely correlated, never mind the latter affecting the former in a causal manner 99% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The adverts on the radio this week are referring to them as safety cameras, and they specifically stated these will be on dangeours road where deaths have occurred. If this is true, it can only be a good thing.

electron wrote: »
    concussion, you should not be aiming to drive 70-80 kph in a 100-zone - believe me, it is perfectly ok to do the full legal speed if the road is fine!
    (different story if there's lots of bends, etc)

I'm not referring to myself, I regularly drive at the limit where conditions allow. However, I do understand that other drivers may not feel like driving at 100% of the allowed speed, for many different reasons.

If you look at that map it lists the Dublin Road out to Annacotty, the Ennis Road, the Clondel Road from the Clonmacken roundabout out and the N24 from Mulgrave St to the Ballysimon Rd out by O'Mara Motors.
    I don't care what they claim, with wthese location its is obviously only a money making racket as these are not accident blackspots.

they're all spots where people have died in collisions.

The company is also paid a flat rate - they don't get any more money for the number of people they catch breaking the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

they're all spots where people have died in collisions.

When?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

ninty9er wrote: »
    When?

Ballysimon Road/ Mulgrave Street:
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Dangerous-driving-trial-hears-of.4148750.jp

Dublin Road/Annacotty:
    http://www.limerickblogger.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6307

Mentioned near the end of the article, where a motorcyclist was killed between annacotty and kilmurray roundabouts last month.

Condell Road:
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Man-dies-in-hospital-following.5494450.jp

RIP to all concerned in these crashes. I hate having to use these peoples deaths to prove a point, but I really cannot understand the stupidity of some drivers. Slow down don't bloody speed, concentrate on driving and things like this won't happen and you won't get a ticket.

@ninty9er; just because you don't remember something happening in recent history, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

There is no profiteering being done here, A private company was contracted to provide this service, they are paid a flat rate to provide the service, whether they issue 1 ticket or 1,000,000 tickets a month. As I have highlighted above the spots chosen have been selected because of fatal accidents and accident blackspots. These are proven dangerous stretches of road.

Every motorist has a choice, 1 to break the road traffic laws and face the consequences, or 2 realise that your trip is not that important that it gives you the right to put other road users lives at risk. If you have to go someplace, give yourself plenty of time for your journey and don't be rushing, slow down and obey the limits. They're there for a reason.

• Advertisement

to be fair, the choice of spots has to be commended, they could have given this company free rein, and they'd have been all over every new motorway and nowhere else.

Advertisement