Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GATSO Van

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

zuroph wrote: »
    to be fair, the choice of spots has to be commended, they could have given this company free rein, and they'd have been all over every new motorway and nowhere else.

Yes I agree with this but Im still unsure if they are allowed park in the Garda only bays on the Motorway / HQDC's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

if the motorway has been marked as an area they can flash on, then wouldnt this be the ONLY place they could pull up? Although, I see what you mean, since they're technically not a garda vehicle..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Berty wrote: »
    Yes I agree with this but Im still unsure if they are allowed park in the Garda only bays on the Motorway / HQDC's.

Looking at the map though, there doesn't seem to be any zones on the motorway network.

@Zuroph. I know people have died on some of these stretches, but not all were caused by speeding and people have died on other city roads that aren't included. My point was that they are not accident blackspots where there are regularly bad accidents and fatalities. The Guards use their disgression and allow a few kms above the limit where its not excessive, but is this private company allowed to give this leeway? If not it still seems like the Dept of Finance is using some of these locations as a money making excercise.

Looking at the map though, there doesn't seem to be any zones on the motorway network.

@Zuroph. I know people have died on some of these stretches, but not all were caused by speeding and people have died on other city roads that aren't included. My point was that they are not accident blackspots where there are regularly bad accidents and fatalities. The Guards use their disgression and allow a few kms above the limit where its not excessive, but is this private company allowed to give this leeway? If not it still seems like the Dept of Finance is using some of these locations as a money making excercise.

If I get caught breaking the speed limit, I'll take my medicine. And I drive for a living, so there's plenty of miles for me to be caught on. Illegal is illegal, Its an inconvenience sure, but thems the rules. AFAIK the reason cops have a leeway is due to poorly set speedometers, who's to say the vans dont apply the same criteria? they're not live yet, people are just jumping to conclusions. Also, if you are only 1 or two over in the pics, perhaps try the poorly set speedometer defence in court. This will be tested soon enough I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

I've only had one speeding ticket in 20yrs of driving, and it was a gatso van, on the naas dual carriage way, where exactly I'm not too sure as its not very detailed on the ticket, and it was on a Munster Match Day in Lansdowne Rd some years ago, now as far as I was aware it was a 100kph stretch, i was done for 88 in a 60kph, now, I'm not too familiar with driving in dublin as only head up for the occasional match or concert, but I know for a fact they must have nailed hundreds from this neck of the woods, and I didn't consider myself to be speeding in that area, there was plenty passing me by doing far more than my 88kph, so thats shooting fish in a barrell !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Condell Road:
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Man-dies-in-hospital-following.5494450.jp

QUOTE]

this relates to a different stretch of Condel Road which is not covered by the speed camera locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

foinse wrote: »
    Ballysimon Road/ Mulgrave Street:
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Dangerous-driving-trial-hears-of.4148750.jp

Dublin Road/Annacotty:
    http://www.limerickblogger.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6307

Mentioned near the end of the article, where a motorcyclist was killed between annacotty and kilmurray roundabouts last month.

Condell Road:
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Man-dies-in-hospital-following.5494450.jp

RIP to all concerned in these crashes. I hate having to use these peoples deaths to prove a point, but I really cannot understand the stupidity of some drivers. Slow down don't bloody speed, concentrate on driving and things like this won't happen and you won't get a ticket.

@ninty9er; just because you don't remember something happening in recent history, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

There is no profiteering being done here, A private company was contracted to provide this service, they are paid a flat rate to provide the service, whether they issue 1 ticket or 1,000,000 tickets a month. As I have highlighted above the spots chosen have been selected because of fatal accidents and accident blackspots. These are proven dangerous stretches of road.

Every motorist has a choice, 1 to break the road traffic laws and face the consequences, or 2 realise that your trip is not that important that it gives you the right to put other road users lives at risk. If you have to go someplace, give yourself plenty of time for your journey and don't be rushing, slow down and obey the limits. They're there for a reason.

RIP indeed, however the first was a drink driving incident, the second nobody knows and the Condell Road incident was just a freak accident.

What good is a speed camera going to do in any of those situations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

As these are private vans, would there be any crime in say throwing mud on the back window as i drove by?

phill106 wrote: »
    As these are private vans, would there be any crime in say throwing mud on the back window as i drove by?

Criminal intent or criminal damage. Im sure somebody in Henry Street could make it "stick". :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The official Garda Síochána website crashed this afternoon from people trying to access maps for the new camera locations. LOL.

• Advertisement

The official Garda Síochána website crashed this afternoon from people trying to access maps for the new camera locations. LOL.

The website is running to slow and crashed as a result. How ironic. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Thats brilliant, I was actually trying to get on it this morning to check out the locations :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

foinse wrote: »
    @ninty9er; just because you don't remember something happening in recent history, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

^^ The best laugh I had all day! :D

*....apologies in advance if required to all parties, but I needed a laugh today, so thanks guys! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

ninty9er wrote: »
    RIP indeed, however the first was a drink driving incident, the second nobody knows and the Condell Road incident was just a freak accident.

What good is a speed camera going to do in any of those situations?

Given the propensity for speeding on the Condell Road, I would imagine speed was involved in that crash in some way. Also Drunk drivers usually either drive way too fast, or way too slow. So speed was definitely a factor in all the above posted crashes.

ninty9er can I ask you a simple question? do you break the law of this country by speeding on our roads? If you do then I will understand how you are so against this, if not then I really don't see why it upsets you.
    Liam Byrne wrote:
    ^^ The best laugh I had all day!

*....apologies in advance if required to all parties, but I needed a laugh today, so thanks guys!

Really don't understand why you find that so funny but, fair play to you.

My last point on this topic will be this:

IF YOU DON'T BREAK THE LAW BY SPEEDING, YOU WON'T GET A TICKET AND AS SUCH WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THESE VANS. IF YOU DON'T WANT IT TO BE A MONEY MAKING EXERCISE THEN DON'T SPEED. SIMPLES

Saw this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69031327&postcount=381

If you miss those vans there is something wrong with you. Far from the White Van man hiding in the long grass to be fair.

Still don't agree with them mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

It's illegal to park in the hard shoulder so any fines incurred would be void if that's where it was parked.

Incorrect.
    Its only illegal to drive or park on the hard shoulder of a motorway.

Its perfectly legal to drive or park on the hard shoulder of any other roadway once parking in that particular spot isnt specifically forbidden.

This is a commonly misunderstood thing.

When the big heap of I think 32 penalty point offences were brought in a few years back they kept saying over and over that driving on the hard shoulder of a motorway would now get you points and a fine.

They should have been more clear about it. If they had been clear then the people driving along at 40mph on national roads who are afraid to pull into the hard shoulder to let off cars behind them would no longer be afraid of getting penalty points for doing so.

A Country Voice

then how come all the gatso vans that have been seen have been pulled up onto the grass?
    to quote the irish driving text oral questions..
    . What is the hard shoulder used for?

Ans. Emergencies, breakdowns, pedestrians and cyclists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Saw this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69031327&postcount=381

If you miss those vans there is something wrong with you. Far from the White Van man hiding in the long grass to be fair.

Still don't agree with them mind you!

I'm curious..Why?:confused: If you stick to the speed limits, there should be no need to worry about any of this.:confused:

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I'm curious..Why?:confused: If you stick to the speed limits, there should be no need to worry about any of this.:confused:

I don't stick to all the limits. Why? Because sometimes its very very hard.

Take the quays in Dublin for example. My car struggles to do a max of 30kph and has stalled numerous times. Finding the right gear for that speed is incredibly hard.

Doing 60kph from the old Texaco on the Dock Road to the Roundabouts at the Cement Factory is very hard.

60kph from the Johnson & Johnson roundabout to the Newport roundabout is hard also.

Impossible? No.

Incorrect? Yes

100kph on the N7 from Newlands Cross to Naas is also very hard because its one lane wider than a Motorway but 20 kph less a maximum speed limit.

80kph on regional roads where some are in better condition, wider and safer than the N52 which is 100kph is also very hard.

Let's not pretend that the majority of people stick to the limits. Take some oddballs. They drive at 70kph irrespective of the speed limit. They will do 70kph in a 100kph zone and 70kph in a 50kph zone.

If everybody drove only to the speed limits then Traffic Corps speed cameras and private speed cameras would not exist.

I agree, if you do not speed you will not be caught.

• Advertisement

if anyone fancies a look at one, theres a red unstickered one parked in a field gateway, just before the caherdavin exit on the dual carriageway inbound. just before the bend with the B+B on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There are only 15 deployed at the moment - just an FYI

Mc Love wrote: »
    There are only 15 deployed at the moment - just an FYI

strange, i've seen 4 of them already? I thought its 45 deployed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

zuroph wrote: »
    strange, i've seen 4 of them already? I thought its 45 deployed?

It will be 45 deployed by February. Only 15/16 out at the moment, along with the existing Garda vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

I don't stick to all the limits. Why? Because sometimes its very very hard.

Take the quays in Dublin for example. My car struggles to do a max of 30kph and has stalled numerous times. Finding the right gear for that speed is incredibly hard.

There is something seriously wrong with your car or the driver if you cant manage to keep a car going a 30kph. :eek:

phog wrote: »
    There is something seriously wrong with your car or the driver if you cant manage to keep a car going a 30kph. :eek:

Every car is different and torque is different. It can be difficult to get the car to keep to the limit. Driving in Limerick is probably not an issue but during rush hour on the quays in Dublin is difficult. Trying to make sure you dont go over 30kph, watch bus's, taxis cyclist and out for Gatsos is very difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Every car is different and torque is different. It can be difficult to get the car to keep to the limit. Driving in Limerick is probably not an issue but during rush hour on the quays in Dublin is difficult. Trying to make sure you dont go over 30kph, watch bus's, taxis cyclist and out for Gatsos is very difficult.

Maybe you need to change your car ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

phog wrote: »
    Maybe you need to change your car ;)

Or buy lighter shoes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

And the rear view mirror for the guy you are holding up who isn't worried about fines.

Even holding people up and driving slowly I usually break the posted limit somewhat.

Advertisement