Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary dog?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to help local shelters, for instance GSPCA, by taking a dog off their hands for a week or two, maybe a month?
    I'd like to help out but can't commit to taking a dog on for long term.

Yup I know I could just ring and ask... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You can foster. Rescues are crying out for fosterers to take a dog for a few days/weeks/months until their forever home is found.

It can be difficult but it's very rewarding. There have been times where I'd cry for days when a dog leaves - esp if the dog was in poor health or mental state arriving, then they go off to their home happily. One part is so proud, the other part feels as if you did so much hard work, but didn't get to enjoy the product (a healthy, happy, well adjusted dog) for long enough.

In saying that, you very often get a dog who is already happy and healthy and needs nothing more than a place to lay his head. And a rescue will only let a dog go to you if they feel you can handle it so no need to worry about not being able to do it. There is usually great back up available too. 24/7 - literally, these wonderful people are available around the clock.

You could be doing something years later and a particular foster will pop into your head and you will wonder about them. :) It's a lucky dog who ends up in foster and knowing you played a part in helping them on their way to a happy home is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

VERY VERY rewarding. Loads of places in Galway, would recommend www.madra.ie or www.homewardbound.ie wonderful thing to do and I am in touch with most of my foster dogs for life.....and they never ever forget you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Would shelters in Dublin be in the same situation? I'd like to have a dog, but know I can't devote the time completely, but I'd liek to look after one like the OP has mentioned, maybe a a few weeks?
    Is there a website/organisation all dog shelters/homes can be found under or is it a matter of looking local?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nonnymouse

Hi Merch,
    If you get in touch with the dspca.ie they foster dogs who are waiting to be homed in Dublin. And cats too!
    Good to luck all you dog fosterers!
    I have a cat and am hoping to get a puppy- i would love to take a shelter dog, but I have my cat 3 years, and he dosen't 'get on' with larger dogs, with a wee pup he could still be 'boss cat' for a while anyway.
    Mouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

There are tons of puppies looking for homes in shelters!!! so don't worry you could still get a shelter pup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks everyone, I'll get in touch with a local shelter and see what I can do.
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Please let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Hi Guys. Always plenty of rescues looking for fosterers. Dogs in Distress and A dogs life are great to foster for. Always easy to get advice online from other fosterers.When I was doing fostering I could only take short term fosters. Often got another fosterers dog who was on hols. So even if you can only do one or two weeks it would be a great help to rescues.
    Great experience too. Always keep in mind that you're just minding the dog and ya just havent met their owner yet. ;) best of luck!!

Advertisement