Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on working for factory that move's location please?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have worked in a factory that is local to me for over 7 years. Its now moving over 30 miles away. The new premises is over 45 mile away for others. I don't drive so i'm screwed. Are we entitled to disturbance money or redundancy if we don't want to go with the move? Our contracts which state our location is now being changed without consulting us. Where do we stand? What choice do we have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

is there a union?you have to be accomidated if the factory moves however that would have to be agreeded with the employer there is nothing set in stone on that one.

if it is impossible for you to work at the new location you should be able to arrange redundancy if you talk to your boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

is there a union?you have to be accomidated if the factory moves however that would have to be agreeded with the employer there is nothing set in stone on that one.

if it is impossible for you to work at the new location you should be able to arrange redundancy if you talk to your boss.

Why would redundancy apply since the position still exists but just in a new location...

A new permises for a factory just doesn't happen over-night... has there been no discussion about how this will affect workers.... I would be shockd if managment haven't mentioned this to staff and how it will affect them??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bbam wrote: »
    Why would redundancy apply since the position still exists but just in a new location...

From www.citizensinformation.ie
    Redundancy can occur where one of the following things happen:

Your employer ceases to carry on business or ceases to carry on business in the place where you have been employed. (For example, if the firm moves location, this can be a substantial change in your working conditions and may therefore be a reason for redundancy. However if there is a change of ownership under the transfer of undertaking legislation where employees are re-employed with no change to their working conditions then it is not a redundancy situation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

bbam wrote: »

A new permises for a factory just doesn't happen over-night... has there been no discussion about how this will affect workers.... I would be shockd if managment haven't mentioned this to staff and how it will affect them??

i'd be shocked too that there has not been any discussion also.

Advertisement