Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router help needed

Options
  • 17-09-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi,

I just got my new netgear WNDR3700 router set uo today and wireless and XBL works fine.I cant seem to get streaming from my PC working though. My Xbox isnt recognising TVersity (PC media software), nor is it connecting to my PC.

I have upc broadband.This is the way i have it set up:

I have wireless disabled on my Cisco epc2425.
    PC-Netgear Lan port....Netgear WAN port _ Cisco epc2425.

With this config the router is acting as a DHCP server and assigns IP address to all wireless clients.

I have also tried: PC-modem-modem Netgear LAN.
    With this i tried to disable DHCP in the Netgear and change the IP address of the router so i can directly login. But it wont let me disable the DHCP server. When i try entering a new IP address (192.168.1.250) it tells me its conflicting with WAN subnet.

Anyone any ideas?

Rgds,
    Ken.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have also tried: PC-modem-modem Netgear LAN.
    With this i tried to disable DHCP in the Netgear and change the IP address of the router so i can directly login. But it wont let me disable the DHCP server. When i try entering a new IP address (192.168.1.250) it tells me its conflicting with WAN subnet.

Anyone any ideas?
    Rgds,
    Ken.

Sounds like you're trying to change the details on the WAN interface of the Netgear rather than its LAN interface. Screenshots might prove useful.

Regarding the XBox streaming, check that client isolation isn't turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Spear wrote: »
    Sounds like you're trying to change the details on the WAN interface of the Netgear rather than its LAN interface. Screenshots might prove useful.

Regarding the XBox streaming, check that client isolation isn't turned on.

What's client isolation and where do I find it?

Maybe iwasnt tooclear above but the way I had my last router set up was pc to modem to router LAN. Reason for this was so I could connect to the router login page by changing it's ip address outside the range of my LAN ie 192.161.1.2 - 192.168.1.250
    Also had to have dhcp disabled in the router. The wireless clients received their ip's from the cisco modem instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What's client isolation and where do I find it?

Maybe iwasnt tooclear above but the way I had my last router set up was pc to modem to router LAN. Reason for this was so I could connect to the router login page by changing it's ip address outside the range of my LAN ie 192.161.1.2 - 192.168.1.250
    Also had to have dhcp disabled in the router. The wireless clients received their ip's from the cisco modem instead.

Client isolation blocks traffic between wireless clients. It's location will vary, (assuming it's present).

This is my LAN set up page by default

untitled-2.jpg

This is the error im getting when i try to disable DHCP and assign a different Ip to the router (and with this i change the wiring config also)

untitled-1.jpg

This is my LAN set up page by default

This is the error im getting when i try to disable DHCP and assign a different Ip to the router (and with this i change the wiring config also)

A little reading shows that Netgears firmware likes to object if the WAN IP address is on the same subnet as the LAN.

I've found a suggestion that putting a WAN subnet of 255.255.254.0 will allow it to work.

• Advertisement

A little reading shows that Netgears firmware likes to object if the WAN IP address is on the same subnet as the LAN.

I've found a suggestion that putting a WAN subnet of 255.255.254.0 will allow it to work.

Ok Spear thx for this. Ill try it in the morning ;)

untitled-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

For your setup, shouldn't you be disabling the WAN interface on the Netgear altogether and connecting a LAN port from the Cisco to a LAN port on the Netgear?

bhickey wrote: »
    For your setup, shouldn't you be disabling the WAN interface on the Netgear altogether and connecting a LAN port from the Cisco to a LAN port on the Netgear?

It just doesnt seem to want to work this way for some reason. Thats the way i had my last router set up. I cant access router login page this way either witout directly plugging the cable into it form the PC.

PC-->modem lan-->router lan.

Ill try it again.

I think i got it sorted guys.

After rebooting several times my PC (cause TVersity server has a habit of hanging up), the modem, router and trying the two different wiring configurations (the one from the manual where u connect to the router lan first and then from the router wan to the modem) and the one mentioned above, my Xbox can finally see my PC. :)

I had it on the 5Ghz network and assumed since xbox live ran well on it that the streaming would too. It had only 1 bar on the signal display.

I switched to the 2.4Ghz band and hey presto !!

Turns out the range on the 5Ghz band is terrible. In my house its only travelling about 15ft through a ceiling and one wall and it was practically out of range.

One thing thats kind of annoying me though is ive set up a DMZ for my xbox with the ip address and it seems the ip on the xbox keeps changing !!! ie..it was 10.0.0.3 and then changed to 10.0.0.5, and then maybe to 10.0.04.
    SHould the router be set up as a DHCP server when my modem already is?

• Advertisement

SHould the router be set up as a DHCP server when my modem already is?

The answer is "it depends". Can you recap on the current config and what's connected to what?

On the static IP thing, most routers will allow you to assign a static lease to a particular device. This means that the device will always receive the same IP from the DHCP server on the router. It'll be based on the MAC address of the device. If the router doesn't have this option then you have 2 options :

1. Manually set the IP of the device (outside the DHCP range of the router)
    2. Change the firmware to DD-WRT which does have the option.

The answer is "it depends". Can you recap on the current config and what's connected to what?

At the moment i have it set up like this:

PC-->Netgear router LAN, Netgear WAN -->modem

This is my WAN set up page below.
    My LAN page is above.

untitled-4.jpg

PC-->Netgear router LAN, Netgear WAN -->modem

Okay so in the setup the Netgear should also be a DHCP server (on a different network that the Cisco of course, e.g. 10.0.0.x & 192.168.1.x).

For DMZ to work as expected then you'd also have to setup a DMZ on the Cisco as well to the WAN IP of the Netgear. So Internet traffic gets to the Xbox like this :

Internet -> Cisco WAN -> Netgear WAN (Cisco DMZ) -> Xbox (Netgear DMZ)

Does the Netgear have the static DHCP lease option so that the Xbox can always be assigned the same IP?

I had it set up on the cisco but the ip address of the xbox is now different.

I think i have that option of static lease. Would this be the page im looking for?

untitled-5.jpg

Doesnt seem to like the values i wanna pout in. My router Ip range is 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.254.

untitled-6.jpg

I had it set up on the cisco but the ip address of the xbox is now different.

I think i have that option of static lease. Would this be the page im looking for?

No. That's for static routes and (in a different setup altogether from yours) is for directing traffic to another network via a specific IP.

To lock the IP address of the Xbox you're looking for .... hold on till I google 'wndr3700 static dhcp'

Address Reservation

Apologies for all the re-edits there ;)

No. That's for static routes and (in a different setup altogether from yours) is for directing traffic to another network via a specific IP.

To lock the IP address of the Xbox you're looking for .... hold on till I google 'wndr3700 static dhcp'

Address Reservation

Apologies for all the re-edits there ;)

bhickey you're a star bar !! THANK YOU.

now ive got DMZ set up on my router too. Do i need to set it up on the Cisco modem too? If so, what ip do i put in cause the IP of the xbox (10.0.0.3) is outside the range of the Cisco IP 192.168.1.2-254

now ive got DMZ set up on my router too. Do i need to set it up on the Cisco modem too? If so, what ip do i put in cause the IP of the xbox (10.0.0.3) is outside the range of the Cisco IP 192.168.1.2-254

With your current setup, the Cisco forwards to the WAN IP of the Netgear and the Netgear forwards to the Xbox. So the 'DMZ' on the Cisco is the WAN IP of the Netgear.

With your current setup, the Cisco forwards to the WAN IP of the Netgear and the Netgear forwards to the Xbox. So the 'DMZ' on the Cisco is the WAN IP of the Netgear.

Is this the WAN Ip of the Netgear? If so, I have it set up previously unknownst to myself !!

untitled-7.jpg

Is this the WAN Ip of the Netgear?

Yes. Remember though that that address was probably received via DHCP from the Cisco so similarly it can change too if you don't setup a static lease for that too on the Cisco.

Yes. Remember though that that address was probably received via DHCP from the Cisco so similarly it can change too if you don't setup a static lease for that too on the Cisco.

oh shoot....just when i thought i was done ! the cisco has such a crap GUI!

Anyone got experience of doing this on the cisco?

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for your help on this one bhickey !;)

Advertisement