Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I/o-$MFT Errors

• 17-09-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

I was on before about delayed write errors on two new western 2GB digital external drives I had purchased . I ended up formatting them and for a few weeks there was no delayed write messages etc.

Then in the last few weeks I started to get delayed writer errors on the external drives $MFT. I have tried EVERYTHING, is it time to go back to where I got them and see about retuning them? I have heard 2GB is xps limit, but these are 1.8 and no where near that full.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

Hi again jeffk
    Did you rename one of the drives so that they show up as two distinct drives in My Computer ?
    I found this, http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xprepair/thread/55659555-b76a-4d92-a645-b2d85bff2de4

I do not think that either of your drives is faulty but WD say that 2 identical type external drives should not be used on the same PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

Dulchie wrote: »
    Hi again jeffk
    Did you rename one of the drives so that they show up as two distinct drives in My Computer ?
    I found this, http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xprepair/thread/55659555-b76a-4d92-a645-b2d85bff2de4

I do not think that either of your drives is faulty but WD say that 2 identical type external drives should not be used on the same PC.

Hello Dulchie,

I renamed them external and back up, and stopped using both @ once(unless syncing/defragging).

When im getting the error on the e drive, its the only one plugged in and seems to only happen turning the pc on from a hibernation. I got away with 4 or 5 of these and then it popped up again :(

When the PC hibernates is stops all disk writes etc to external devices, so any data still in the ram memory cache could be lost.

When the computer resumes from hibernation the system realises that the data in not consistent and reports the error.

You might like to try disabling Write Caching as described in the microsoft article and see what happens

But I never had these issues with a 1GB drive/s.

Thats optimize for quick removal? Ill try that again and run a few hibernate shut-down/start ups now!

Tried what you suggested and after a few load ups from hibernate the error is back.
    I even moved the portable software off the drive.

• Advertisement

You have me stumped.

Is there any backup type software running in the background which regularly writes to the external drive ?

Since the problem occurs on some occasions it might be that some software like Memeo or similar is constantly writing changes to the hard drive.

Since you have disabled disk cacheing there should be no data waiting to be written out.

The only other option I can see is to use the safely remove hardware option on the taskbar to disconnect the external drive before each hibernation, no the most convenient method !

I have you and me stumped.
    As per what you have suggested the error doesn't make sense. The portable apps are gone and there isn't any file actions as I hibernate, so there isn't any data moving to or from the external to cause the error.

The only backup software I use, I run from boot via the cd.

Yes I think that's the last idea, I might just continue on and if its every few times, I can just log off and back on.. Its not effecting the data as I would see this when im syncing to the back up disk.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement