Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism on the Airwaves

Options
  • 17-09-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Recently I was scanning through the 70cm UHF band and decided to continue on through it a bit and came across what I assume to be a taxi frequency operating locally with a unbelievable and unashamed amount of racist discussions between drivers and absolutely very little call outs.

I'm not normally one to complain about things as I can often enjoy listening to banter on Amateur and other public bands, but the level of "colour commentary" on this frequency is unbelievable and was seriously considering reporting them to Comreg, although I am unsure about the effectiveness of this since I'm probably not supposed to listen to it in the first place.

Anyone got any opinions? I would wonder if they're licensed at all, as it just seems to be a chat channel for the drivers, most likely using UHF handhelds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

You may listen to any frequency without breaking any law. Where you can be breaking a law is by discussing with another what you hear on certain frequencies except in a case where you report what you hear to an official of the Department of Communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

what a shame but it is harsh to say it was cab drivers i would not be branding them unless you have proof of the said crowd and yes you should report it to comreg it would be silly not to do so

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

what a shame but it is harsh to say it was cab drivers i would not be branding them unless you have proof of the said crowd and yes you should report it to comreg it would be silly not to do so

Come on now, I'm sure by the conversations heard the OP would be certain if it was a taxi company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Taildragon

You could report it to ComReg but I'll be surprised if they take any action at all. It is not the business of the State (or the regulatory bodies of the State) to mandate what citizens may or may not discuss.

Contrary to popular belief, racism isn't illegal. You have no statutory right to be protected from being caused offense.

Press the scan button again, move on. Leave the small-minded bigots in their futile, sad little world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I've been listening for the past two weeks. I reached the conclusion that it was a taxi company due to their talk of "the rank" and the lewd terms used to describe a female taxi driver who happens to be an African migrant.

Contrary to what some may say, racism is partially illegal and there's soon to be concrete legislation brought in, if you go and read the Law Society gazette.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Taildragon wrote: »
    You could report it to ComReg but I'll be surprised if they take any action at all. It is not the business of the State (or the regulatory bodies of the State) to mandate what citizens may or may not discuss..

1) So the boards.ie/soc/lets-overthrow-the-government-and-kill-all-collaborators board is opening for business shortly ? :rolleyes:
    2) It becomes their business when the discussion takes place on radio frequencies (particularly when the operators dont hold licences)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also there ARE specific statutes about what information you can disseminate.

ILA wrote: »
    I would wonder if they're licensed at all, as it just seems to be a chat channel for the drivers, most likely using UHF handhelds.

Given the frequency theyre on its highly unlikely that theyre licenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

If you're really that concerned about it (not that I doubt you're not) what I personally would do, would be as follows...

1) Listen to and try and determine with which company they work for, preferably note down any of their names that pop up of those throwing racist insults around.

2) Transcribe as much as you can from what's being spoken.

3) Paraphrase or at least highlight some of the racist parts in the transcription you took so as to make it easier for an average secretary/assistant to scan through.

4) Document the frequency or frequencies being used both to transmit and receive (if different) and list those also. If you're sure they're broadcasting illegally, express that also in your documentation.

5) Package a copy of the whole lot up and send it via email to eamon.ryan@oireachtas.ie - you'll get a reply within 2 weeks probably. While you're at it, CC a copy of your email to COMREG via interference@comreg.ie

That's about as much as you can do officially and hope to get a reply from.
    If it helps to push/further the issue, CC in all the email addresses of your local elected TD's - while you might get no replies at all from any of them that you CC, at least it will make it known to the minister and Comreg that your complaint as such has not just gone to them alone and you've pushed it as a public complaint by notifying your local representatives to make them aware.

Be nice, be courteous, be straight to the point and end your email with something along the lines of "...looking forward to hearing back on this matter from yourselves in due course" so as to let it be known you'd like a follow-on reply at the very least, without being pushy and demanding for same either.

You could always record the conversations too and send them an MP3 although Im not sure what the legalities of this are in Ireland (AFaIK it would be okay if youre only "disclosing the message contents" to a COMREG official ???)

• Advertisement

That might be a bad idea.

Aother aspect of this whole business is that if the discussions concerned clearly identifiable individuals then the whole legal minefield of defamation could possibly come into play
    watty wrote: »
    That might be a bad idea.

Any particular reason ? (AFIK it would be legal but Im not 100% sure on this -suppose one could always ask a COMREG official)

No ... Just Instinct. Hence "might be"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Is it legal to eavesdrop on private radio transmissions?

It is.

Up until a few years ago the law was based solely on possession of equipment and what it was designed for (this law was riddled with some little known but interesting anomalies which fortunately never became a real issue). But the law was changed a few years ago allowing one to listen to almost any (unencrypted) transmission but imposing restrictions on what one can do with any information obtained from doing so.

I hope thats perfectly clear now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Given the frequency theyre on its highly unlikely

What frequency.
    THe OP said that it was above (not in) the 70cm ham band.
    There are cab companies licenced using UHF ( found between 450-470).
    They probably think no one else could be listening.
    Marine VHF radio users need to do a course, and required to operate a certain way on air, but taxi drivers do not.

Antenna wrote: »
    Marine VHF radio users need to do a course, and required to operate a certain way on air, but taxi drivers do not.

http://acts2.oireachtas.ie/zza45y1926.2.html
    11. —(1) No person shall send or attempt to send by wireless telegraphy from any place in Saorstát Eireann or any ship or other vessel in the inland or the territorial waters of Saorstát Eireann or any ship registered in Saorstát Eireann wherever such ship may be or any aircraft in or over Saorstát Eireann or the territorial waters thereof—

( a ) any message or communication of an indecent, obscene, or offensive character,

[OT] one interesting thing I just discovered about the 1926 act was the date it was passed into law 24/12/1926. Imagine the government actually working on Christmas Eve !!!!!![/OFF TOPIC]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

ILA wrote: »
    Recently I was scanning through the 70cm UHF band and decided to continue on through it a bit and came across what I assume to be a taxi frequency operating locally with a unbelievable and unashamed amount of racist discussions between drivers and absolutely very little call outs.
    Real people in real situations evidently talk like that. The world isn't full of happy-clappy, roight on-folk with a quango job waiting for them despite what RTE would have you think.
    Anyone got any opinions?
    Your scanner evidently comes with an off switch or at least one to change frequency. You've obviously spent a lot of time listening to what is, going on your description, rubbish so it is logical to wonder if you are doing so because you want to feel some kind of righteous outrage. Now if you want to spend your time documenting these conversations for submission to an overworked ComReg or bottom of a ministerial in-tray, then that's fine. But get a legal opinion (rather than relying on anything here) first because once you've committed anything to paper or recorded anything you could be entering a legal minefield.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

OP, just enjoy the comments, or if you are a minority that gets offended, just lock out the frequency.

gbee wrote: »
    enjoy the comments.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

:D

Advertisement