Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting started....

• 17-09-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the cycling section here on boards. I've spent most of my time over on the athletics forum, mainly because i'm a track/cross country runner by nature.

Basically i just want to introduce myself, and ask few questions about road cycling. I have a cheap Halfords road bike, and it's probably not the best bike. But it is this bike that got me interested in road cycling. I love just going for random 4 or 5 hour cycles on my own.

But i want to get more serious about cycling. Try and get out cycling a few times a week.
    So i was looking at something like a specialized road bike for about 6/700 ish. I will have to go do some shopping around, but is there a general boards opinion on what is a good starter road bike? Is it a good idea to buy a new bike? Or should i try upgrade my halfords bike to make it better? Maybe add a clipless setup? Because I'm a student and don't exactly have tonnes of money I could either afford a new bike, or upgrade my current one? However I think i'd regret not buying a new bike...

Secondly what sort of training do cyclists do. Obviously they go out on their bikes, but what sort of weekly mileage do cyclists cover? What months is considered the "road cycling" season for training etc..? Other than long cycles, what sort of training do cyclists do? Hill work? Interval work?

Thanks for any replies. Looking forward to getting involved in cycling. Seems like an enjoyable sport.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

6/700 will get u a nice bike. Specialized Sireus etc are nice. Edinburghcycles.co.uk do very nice bikes of their own ( Revolution range)at cheaper price as you don't pay for a brand. They're not in Republic though.
    Want a racer, hybrid?

I'd say sell your bike and buy new. Call into a storewhen they're not too busy and talk to them and they'll help you.

Cycling to am from college, into town etc is all good exercise.
    Most groups have weekend spins, varying distances, speeds etc.
    Cycling is great fun and good way of geting/staying fit.
    Good luck.
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

dinneenp wrote: »
    6/700 will get u a nice bike. Specialized Sireus etc are nice. Edinburghcycles.co.uk do very nice bikes of their own ( Revolution range)at cheaper price as you don't pay for a brand. They're not in Republic though.
    Want a racer, hybrid?

I'd say sell your bike and buy new. Call into a storewhen they're not too busy and talk to them and they'll help you.

Cycling to am from college, into town etc is all good exercise.
    Most groups have weekend spins, varying distances, speeds etc.
    Cycling is great fun and good way of geting/staying fit.
    Good luck.
    Pa.

I have since been doing some online research and it looks like a Giant Defy 4 for about 600 seems like a decent starter bike. However I have also noticed This and if used on a Carrera Vanquish in halfords, i could get what seems to be a decent road bike for 550 ish? I didn't really want another halfords bike. However the vanquish seems to get good feedback as being a good bike for the money? People say that it has very good components considering its price? Carbon fork etc...

Any Ideas?

Advertisement