Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Surfer Survey

Options
  • 17-09-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hey,

While I was working with the West Coast Surf Club on the submission against the proposed pier at Doolin, Co. Clare we found that there was a lack of basic information about surfers in Ireland and this information would have been very useful for our submission. Since the completion of the submission I have again searched to find information and there does not seem to be any available.

So, I have put together a short survey which I am sending out across the country to surf shops, surf schools, surf organisations, etc. and putting it on surfing forums. The survey will be open until 31st October 2010.

The survey can be completed online at: http://www.kwiksurveys.com?s=HJOOGO_a1606e1f

I'd be grateful if you would take this survey (only takes 2 mins max) and maybe pass it onto your surfer friends whether they be beginners or seasoned surfers.

For a pdf version of the survey email: surf@ireland.com

Cheers,
    CRenegade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

seems more like a commercial survey with all the questions about gear and how much money we'd spend and where we'd stay,etc.Can't see the point of it beyond that in terms of learning anything about the surfing community or how filling in this survey could help anyone bar commercial agents or maybe at a push board failte.
    Don't mean to be critical except I don't fill in surveys unless clearly stated what the exact goal of the survey is, if its to help you out with some market research for yourself, just say so and i'll gladly help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Meatwad wrote: »
    seems more like a commercial survey with all the questions about gear and how much money we'd spend and where we'd stay,etc.Can't see the point of it beyond that in terms of learning anything about the surfing community or how filling in this survey could help anyone bar commercial agents or maybe at a push board failte.
    Don't mean to be critical except I don't fill in surveys unless clearly stated what the exact goal of the survey is, if its to help you out with some market research for yourself, just say so and i'll gladly help out.

Hey,

Well there are some commercial questions in it alright but these are of importance.

I dont intend on selling anything online so the questions about gear are not for me. I'll try explain a bit about the survey.

As I stated when doing the submission against the pier we had no info. So the info on the commercial benefit surfing brings to towns was a major part of our case but we had no hard data. Like how much people spend when away. We also needed to know if people are spending in the local shops etc.

I took the opportunity to put in wide ranging questions as if different data was needed in a few months or next year by the surfing community I didnt think another survey would be appropriate or that people would help with it.

I obivously have an interest in this area and i'd be intrigued to know some of the answers. There has always been questions about a large surfing contest in Ireland, maybe this survey will shed some light on the actual opinion of Irish surfers.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Cheers for that man, sorry for being a bit of an arse about it but I had to do a survey for my thesis ages ago and found peole were reluctant to do it because peole had past experiences of being dupped into filling out spam surveys online.After that I was always warey, but you seem genuine so will fill out the survey and pass it on.
    Hope it all goes well for ya and let us know how ya get on in the future ;)

Meatwad wrote: »
    Cheers for that man, sorry for being a bit of an arse about it but I had to do a survey for my thesis ages ago and found peole were reluctant to do it because peole had past experiences of being dupped into filling out spam surveys online.After that I was always warey, but you seem genuine so will fill out the survey and pass it on.
    Hope it all goes well for ya and let us know how ya get on in the future ;)

No problem meatwad, I'll do up some graphs, etc. with different results when the survey is closed. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Done! Very quick survey - cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Done

Cheers for responding guys.

Due to getting feedback from people overseas wondering if they should fill out the survey I have prepared an additional survey to be completed by people not in the Island of Ireland.

The link is: http://www.kwiksurveys.com?s=HJIJIJ_6c292a29

I wanted to keep the info separate and thinking about it, info from people abroad regarding the amount of money they spend here and their opinions on surfing in Ireland would also be usefull.

So if there's people outside the Island of Ireland on this forum please fill out this survey.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

passed this on

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Done

• Advertisement

Thanks Lads.

Is there any FEMALE surfers here that havn't taken the survey?!!!

Over 90% of respondents are male!

Just want to get as broad a range of data as possible.

Cheers,

Hey,

Thanks to all who completed the survey, great response so far - much appreciated.

Its open for the rest of the month to gather as much info as possible but hopefully in a few days or so I'll put together the stats gathered so far on one of the general questions and put it up here on a graph or something.

Cheers,

Just to keep ye guys updated I've put together Preliminary results for one of the Questions.

See Graph:

Surf%20Compo%2005.10%20cropped.jpg

If you havn't taken the survey it only takes two mins and if you want your opinion heard on questions like the one above then this is your chance! and the economic data will assist in an economic report for the current and future save the wave campaigns. The Survey is open untill 31st Oct 2010.

Cheers to all who have completed the survey - There are some interesting views, comments and opinions coming back in the comment boxes regarding facilities needed, signage at beaches, surf etiquette, etc.

For those of you who have completed and didnt make any comments you can send them onto email: surf@ireland.com

Cheers,

Survey Closing at the end of week 31st Oct - Thanks to all who have completed so far, great response... now to go about making an economic report next month!!:eek:

Thanks to all who completed the survey. Without ye I could not have put together the Lahinch Area Economic report; published here.

The Doolin Pier situation is not so good. For all details please go to this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69490670#post69490670

I dont want to be doubling up on threads.

Cheers, again.
    Neil.

Advertisement