Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Going to be closed again this week. What the hell is wrong with the M9?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Autosport wrote: »
    Going to be closed again this week. What the hell is wrong with the M9?

I think they're re-painting the road markings so makes sense to close the road and complete the work at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

A Garda checkpoint on a motorway?

That's what was on the M9 yesterday around lunchtime north of Carlow. Chaos. Loads of Garda cars, armed response, one lane coned off, trucks pulled into lay by.

I wonder what that was about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

A Garda checkpoint on a motorway?

That's what was on the M9 yesterday around lunchtime north of Carlow. Chaos. Loads of Garda cars, armed response, one lane coned off, trucks pulled into lay by.

I wonder what that was about?

its done alot, on all the motorways.
    its well controlled, well signposted, and they do it to check, tax, insurance, nct, social, potential thieves, the rsa work with them to check road safety of trucks vans and green diesel.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

rameire wrote: »
    its done alot, on all the motorways.
    its well controlled, well signposted, and they do it to check, tax, insurance, nct, social, potential thieves, the rsa work with them to check road safety of trucks vans and green diesel.

oh i agree with you there people just seem to have a blase attitude to the safety of poor green diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

D Trent wrote: »
    oh i agree with you there people just seem to have a blase attitude to the safety of poor green diesel

It's not just safety checks. It's also revenue and customs exercises, stopping those driving commercial vehicles to determine if they're also on the dole or those illegally using non taxed tractor (green) diesel.

Reported in the Indo today.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-social-welfare-inspectors-and-revenue-officers-all-present-at-multioperation-road-checkpoint-35093284.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

D Trent wrote: »

Isn't green diesel radio-active now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

32 on the spot fines? That was worth the manpower then.

Including two armed response units to control those dangerous vrt-dogers.

Aside from a suspicion that doing this is illegal, it's totally heavy-handed, police-state, and a waste of resources.

Not to mention discommoding all of us who were using the motorway to try to get somewhere in good time by causing a huge tailback - itself dangerous.

Welcome to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

You mean "welcome to America", surely...?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Was impressed with the facilities at AG in Paulstown. No sign of anything happening south of Athy still?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Was impressed with the facilities at AG in Paulstown. No sight of anything happening south of Athy still?

Yep pulled in there a few weeks ago, and was amazed at the size of the place, and the amount of places to eat. But I still don't think it's being signposted great. There's so many people I talk to, who don't even know about it. Is there a reason why there's not as much advertising about this on the motorway?

iseegirls wrote: »
    Was impressed with the facilities at AG in Paulstown. No sight of anything happening south of Athy still?

Yep pulled in there a few weeks ago, and was amazed at the size of the place, and the amount of places to eat. But I still don't think it's being signposted great. There's so many people I talk to, who don't even know about it. Is there a reason why there's not as much advertising about this on the motorway?

Didn't notice much either but wasn't looking to be fair as I knew about it. Agree lots of places to eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

There are brown tourist signs on both M9 approaches to the junction but they show the cup of tea, knife and fork, WC etc. Erecting private signs (i.e. AG) on the national road network is not legally permitted.

tonc76 wrote: »

There are brown tourist signs on both M9 approaches to the junction but they show the cup of tea, knife and fork, WC etc. Erecting private signs (i.e. AG) on the national road network is not legally permitted.

They could use bwck of lorry in a feild near by loke another company is on the route.

AG have done it at other locations.

They could use back of lorry in a field near by like another company is on the route close to the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

They could use back of lorry in a field near by like another company is on the route close to the junction.

They certainly could but a lot of those "lorry signs" have been legally challenged by both local and national authorities as they have no planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

They certainly could but a lot of those "lorry signs" have been legally challenged by both local and national authorities as they have no planning permission.

Challenged but ultimately allowed to remain. They don't need planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

There's a Lorry with applegreen on it northbound for definite and I'm almost sure there's one southbound also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

However bad AG might be I think the 100% Irishowned fast food outlet is worse at this craic
    M6 and M7 prime examples

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Motorway closed northbound just short of J10 (Knocktopher) on account of a crash. Couldn't see much without rubbernecking (was heading for Waterford myself), but both lanes were blocked and the carriageway was at a standstill. Hopefully no injuries or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

fricatus wrote: »
    Motorway closed northbound just short of J10 (Knocktopher) on account of a crash. Couldn't see much without rubbernecking (was heading for Waterford myself), but both lanes were blocked and the carriageway was at a standstill. Hopefully no injuries or worse.

They said on kilkennypeople.com that it was a tractor and a lorry in the accident.

Wasn't aware of the problems with Kilcullen services, appears Topaz got the contract to run 3 services from TII however AppleGreen and Top has dragged the tender info a long running legal dispute.

Lucky if any building work starts in 2017 at this rate.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/maintaining-idle-motorway-services-costing-15-000-a-month-1.2779044

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Really, taught this was shelved since AppleGreen had once at J7, no way is there room for 3 so close. J5 was Topaz as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Really, taught this was shelved since AppleGreen had once at J7, no way is there room for 3 so close. J5 was Topaz as well.

Agreed. I think Paulstown is least viable of the 3 but of course it's been established first. J5 has the N80 which is an extremely busy road and the halfway point between WD and Dublin on the M9.
    Business for all 3 within 55km of each other?? Seems crazy to me anyhow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

One at J5 seems to be the best location seeing as it's also on the N80 and is well placed for a Waterford-Dublin trip.

The one at Kilcullen would want to be opening soon, so too the M6 and M11 ones. Some waste of space and money lying idle for a few years.

marno21 wrote: »
    One at J5 seems to be the best location seeing as it's also on the N80 and is well placed for a Waterford-Dublin trip.

The one at Kilcullen would want to be opening soon, so too the M6 and M11 ones. Some waste of space and money lying idle for a few years.

I don't think 3 services is viable on the M9 motorway. The traffic volumes are not staggering (similar to the other MIUs actually) and you can do Waterford to Dublin in under an hour and a half. Stopping is not even a necessity. Two strategically placed services are all that's warranted or needed.

Wasn't aware of the problems with Kilcullen services, appears Topaz got the contract to run 3 services from TII however AppleGreen and Top has dragged the tender info a long running legal dispute.

Lucky if any building work starts in 2017 at this rate.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/maintaining-idle-motorway-services-costing-15-000-a-month-1.2779044

Those costs are infuriating. The legal system here is a bloody joke. The only winners here will be the legal profession and as usual the taxpayer will be clobbered. The loosing tenders should be told to do one. Why have a tender process if they can't abide by the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Apparently the services at Junction 5 will be open next month, I wonder will TII reconsider the Kilcullen services at this stage, surely better for all concerned if they were to pull the plug on it now?

Jobs Boost For Carlow

• Advertisement

radharc wrote: »
    Apparently the services at Junction 5 will be open next month, I wonder will TII reconsider the Kilcullen services at this stage, surely better for all concerned if they were to pull the plug on it now?

Jobs Boost For Carlow

After spending a fortune building the overpass I don't think so but it's crazey to have services at J2,5 & 7, yet nothing near the end especially for those who are coming off N24/25 and don't want to go into Waterford.

AppleGreen would only be delighted to operate J2 and current J7 with Topaz in between.

Advertisement